Guns - Uses, best for each, and favorites.

btw BB a .22 magnum is a non jacketed rimfire round, quite a bit different from a .223. A .223 is more like a .22 hornet magnum.

Really.................!

btw BB a .22 magnum is a non jacketed rimfire round, quite a bit different from a .223. A .223 is more like a .22 hornet magnum.

wow so astute you are us cit...did you miss my comment the inference was a 22 on 'Steroids' all of the above are 22 caliber for all intents and purposes...I said what I said tongue in cheek...!

Well...........

always, you know there is more than one meaning to that saying don't ya ?

the only other meaning I am familiar with would apply to baby powder while changing the babies diapers...one may say...'Keep the powder dry'...if you know of another meaning please bring us all up to KY speed!

Just wanted to make a recommendation on a fun pest removal gun.

I have a Ruger 10/22 with a holosight on it. Nothing pricey, but it works great. On monday my wife and I were going to go relax by the pond, and I planned to throw a line in the water and see what was biting. Nothing serious, just to watch a bobber floating and catch a crappie or whatever. Two water moccassins had taken up residence at our pond. The holosite and the .22 made it easy to pop them. One was swimming away along the bank and never knew what punched the hole in his head.

Total investment of less than $200.

W-w-w-water moccasins? Shiver! We have king snakes and hognoses and a couple of others. I think my urbanite husband wants an elephant gun for those. I have a little Remington pellet gun (pump action, one pellet at a time) that works well on cotton rats. It takes so long to load the thing, though that I had to learn to be accurate in a big hurry. Wish I'd bought one with a cylinder.

Don't shoot the kingsnakes!!! Actually, I would say don't shoot any non-venomous snakes. (hognose snakes are way cool)

A good pellet gun works well, and is quiet enough that your neighbors don't get nervous.

Tell your husband to look into my suggestion. Besides, the price of .22LR ammo means he gets to shoot more.

never shoot a gun at water, the bullets can go anywhere. Unless shooting at pretty much a right angle to the surface of the water.

I was shooting downward from a bank, not out over the water. But even if I had, I am so far out in the boonies that the .22 wouldn't have gone anywhere but pasture or woods. And my house and the horses on the land were behind me.

But good warning.

It would have to be a good bit shallower angle than 45 degrees.

Much closer to parallel to the water in order to skim off the surface.

http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=134446

That is the steepest angle that produced a ricochet off water that I can find.

It says tha critical angle for a ricochet off water was 6.5 degrees, although I think water hardness and temperature would effect this.

As I said, I was standing on a bank shooting downward into the water. I would love to see any documentation on a 45 deg angle producing a skip. I think thats a little steep for the physics to work.

When myth busters did one of their experiments on bullet penetration in water, they were firing at a 35 degree angle to measure the depth of penetration.

Was your estimation of 45 degrees off the cuff or from a publication?

From my days in conducting hunter safety classes. I figure they do train to a safer level, vs right on the edge to prevent accidents.

Depends on surface action of the water as well. yeah the 50 cal barrett did not go to far under water did it :)

I was surprised that the high velocity rounds had far less penetration than the slower ones. But I did love watching the 12 ga blow the sides of the tank out.

I would not shoot at water from anywhere near a 10 degree angle. When I killed the snakes, one was on the bank, and the other was swimming along the bank and I was above him.

I was shooting downward from a bank, not out over the water. But even if I had, I am so far out in the boonies that the .22 wouldn't have gone anywhere but pasture or woods. And my house and the horses on the land were behind me.

But good warning.

If concerned you can buy snakeshot for 22 as well as 38..it is like having a mini-shotgun...we use to load our 357 mags with the start round as snakeshot while patrolling and tracking entries on the Mexican Border...it was crawling with sidewinders and the snakeshot was a blessing as ya could almost never miss with the first important shot!:)

I used to have a double barreled .357 mag derringer. Made an excellent little shotgun. Just don't shoot of the ends of your own fingers.

Back