Guns - Uses, best for each, and favorites.

Ahh not so bad I can deal with em now. But yes it was hell. Perhaps why I don't believe in hell. already been there.
the really scary part is that a handful of people got to liking the killing.

The only way for a moral person to kill a person without getting shook up is to convince themselves that the person they're killing isn't human. Once you do that, it becomes all too easy to get to liking it. War changes a lot of things in a lot of people.

Hell, entire nations of otherwise rational individuals strip minorities and undesirables of their humanity and become cold blooded killers at the snap of a finger.

The only way for a moral person to kill a person without getting shook up is to convince themselves that the person they're killing isn't human. Once you do that, it becomes all too easy to get to liking it. War changes a lot of things in a lot of people.

Hell, entire nations of otherwise rational individuals strip minorities and undesirables of their humanity and become cold blooded killers at the snap of a finger.

yeah it is ok they are all muslims that want to kill us anyway....
Just nuke em all and let god sort em out. On of the more disgusting things I have heard many a person say that claimed to be a Christian.

Just gooks, etc

Dehumanizing of the opponent is a primary tactic of war.

OH I'm not a pacifist I just wouldn't shoot anyone. It changes more than you know.

I used to think I'd never hurt anyone else to protect myself; just try to immobilize them, etc.

Then when I was working in the prison system with psych patients, one of the inmates pulled a knife on me. Luckily the situation was defused without any violence or bloodshed. That incident did make me realize, however, now that it was no longer a hypothetical scenario, that I would indeed have used whatever means necessary to protect myself and the other people for whom I was responsible. I'm all in favor of the philosophy of minimum force necessary, but whatever that might have been I'd have used it. And only the situation itself can tell you what that will be.

I'm not a large person. It wouldn't be reasonable for me to assume that failing talking someone out of doing something stupid (i.e. harmful to me!) that any sort of physical force on my part would be pretty ineffective. So I go to the range and practice shooting, trying to hone my accuracy at different distances. My goal would be to incapacitate someone if necessary, but only if necessary. I wouldn't want to be fiddling around trying to figure how my gun worked in a crisis situation.

But yes, if no alternatives were possible, that experience taught me that I certainly would use whatever means were necessary to protect myself. That could potentially involve shooting someone else, as a last resort.

I used to think I'd never hurt anyone else to protect myself; just try to immobilize them, etc.

Then when I was working in the prison system with psych patients, one of the inmates pulled a knife on me. Luckily the situation was defused without any violence or bloodshed. That incident did make me realize, however, now that it was no longer a hypothetical scenario, that I would indeed have used whatever means necessary to protect myself and the other people for whom I was responsible. I'm all in favor of the philosophy of minimum force necessary, but whatever that might have been I'd have used it. And only the situation itself can tell you what that will be.

I'm not a large person. It wouldn't be reasonable for me to assume that failing talking someone out of doing something stupid (i.e. harmful to me!) that any sort of physical force on my part would be pretty ineffective. So I go to the range and practice shooting, trying to hone my accuracy at different distances. My goal would be to incapacitate someone if necessary, but only if necessary. I wouldn't want to be fiddling around trying to figure how my gun worked in a crisis situation.

But yes, if no alternatives were possible, that experience taught me that I certainly would use whatever means were necessary to protect myself. That could potentially involve shooting someone else, as a last resort.

Thorn, I don't ever try to assume any moral highground over people who use deadly force. The responsibility is on the individual posing the threat not to pose the threat, not on the individual being threatened to ascertain whether or not he's a threat.

I still would never feel comfortable to use deadly force. That was not intended to condemn anyone that has or would, I probably would if the situation were right.

If you're ever forced to pull a gun, shooting to kill is the only certain way to incapacitate them. You could try a tazor, but that's very risky, and if they had a gun in their hands you'd lose for sure.

Just try and avoid those kind of situations.

That's the damn truth.

Don't join the military and don't be a drug dealer and you should be fine.

I don't know many people outside of those two professions who have had to make a choice like that.

You're right, though WM, if shooting someone led to your finding enjoyment in that, or even becoming indifferent to it, you'd lose a critical element of your humanity.

I don't think that any of us here wouldn't be hugely shaken up if we ended up shooting someone, even if it wasn't close to fatal.

That's the damn truth.

Don't join the military and don't be a drug dealer and you should be fine.

I don't know many people outside of those two professions who have had to make a choice like that.

No way I'm doing either.

I'm just flimsy on the subject, but yeah, if I were about to die I probably wouldn't even think about it.

I live in a rural area in the south, and there have been some violent crimes in our county. Most have been related to meth labs or sales.

A magnum is really just a way of saying "larger". Its more gimmick than measurement. And there are small magnums, like the .22 magnum or the .32 magnum.

If the gun is not loaded, the chances of it being any good for self defense are slim.

Magnum refers to the longer shell casing...a 357 is a 38 special on steroids...longer case more grains of powder...same applies to 22 mag or any other magnum...technically a .223 round found in the M-16 could be considered a 22 long rifle on steroids! and believe me the mag is no gimmick...it is way more than that!

Back