Guns - Uses, best for each, and favorites.

For shotguns, the best recommendation I can make is a Remington 870.

I doubt there us a pump gun out there that can compare with the number sold. Very reliable, as accurate as you need, and plenty of aftermarket goodies.

best all round and most accurate = shotgun :)

A shotgun may well be the best all around firearm. Its good for self defense, hunting, target shooting (skeet & trap ect).

But most accurate? I think being able to hit a target because you spray a multitude of tiny projectiles at it is not the same as being accurate.

Accurate would be putting a single projectile on target.

For shotguns, the best recommendation I can make is a Remington 870.

I doubt there us a pump gun out there that can compare with the number sold. Very reliable, as accurate as you need, and plenty of aftermarket goodies.
The 870 has been used by the Corps (mostly by MPs and such) since the 50s.

But then, the 03/A3 Springfield has been around 50 years longer than that, and IMO is about the best bolt-action 30.06 one can get.

Guess when something is built right, it doesn't need much change.

Still not sure I even want a scatter gun, though. Something about the thought of "spread" and "shot pattern" that makes a "dime-size group" guy a bit twitchy.

You have hit on part of the reason I am so fond of my 1911A1 .45ACP.

In a world full of delight ful new technology, its great to see a 100 year old design hold its own.

Dime sized groups, huh? Sounds like a skilled shooter to me.

For some things a scattergun is just the ticket. Other times it is what is required by law. In flat terrain states it is often the only thing allowed for deer hunting.

You have hit on part of the reason I am so fond of my 1911A1 .45ACP.

In a world full of delight ful new technology, its great to see a 100 year old design hold its own.

Dime sized groups, huh? Sounds like a skilled shooter to me.

For some things a scattergun is just the ticket. Other times it is what is required by law. In flat terrain states it is often the only thing allowed for deer hunting.
I live in the Rocky mountains of Montana. No flat land worries here.

And marksmanship is expected of every Marine. We are all infantrymen first, other specialty second.

Indeed ...........

The 870 has been used by the Corps (mostly by MPs and such) since the 50s.

But then, the 03/A3 Springfield has been around 50 years longer than that, and IMO is about the best bolt-action 30.06 one can get.

Guess when something is built right, it doesn't need much change.

Still not sure I even want a scatter gun, though. Something about the thought of "spread" and "shot pattern" that makes a "dime-size group" guy a bit twitchy.

The original sniper rifle...still holds it's own today with the so called newest and best! and by the way you mentioned the M-1 Carbine and M-14 earlier...I was going to buy one of each to start my collection...but damn they are fetching between $1500. and $2500. in very good to excellent condition! You use to be able to pick them up for a couple of hundred dollars!

The original sniper rifle...still holds it's own today with the so called newest and best! and by the way you mentioned the M-1 Carbine and M-14 earlier...I was going to buy one of each to start my collection...but damn they are fetching between $1500. and $2500. in very good to excellent condition! You use to be able to pick them up for a couple of hundred dollars!
The effects of the assault weapons ban are still being felt, even though it has sunsetted. We are still unable to import certain types of weapons, and demand for existing weapons has been on a steady increase.

I'm glad I got mine a long time ago. Getting damned pricey to keep in practice, though. We need to watch the coming administration - rumors are they're planning a back door attack on ownership by going after ammunition.

Sad but true...!

The effects of the assault weapons ban are still being felt, even though it has sunsetted. We are still unable to import certain types of weapons, and demand for existing weapons has been on a steady increase.

I'm glad I got mine a long time ago. Getting damned pricey to keep in practice, though. We need to watch the coming administration - rumors are they're planning a back door attack on ownership by going after ammunition.

Let your heart not flutter...Obama will not win the general!

They are pricey indeed. Springfield makes one that I covet. Its their M21 model. Nicely set up, with an engraved White feather and the likeness of Carlos Hathcock's signature. Normally a signature on a gun wouldn't appeal to me. But Gunny Hathcock was The Man.

While not in the same league as the M14, a friend of mine has had good results with the CETME rifles. Its a spanish knockoff of the HK G93 rifle. He claims good accuracy and the price is right. I'm a big fan of the .308 round. Much better than the .223/5.56mm, in my opinion.

They are pricey indeed. Springfield makes one that I covet. Its their M21 model. Nicely set up, with an engraved White feather and the likeness of Carlos Hathcock's signature. Normally a signature on a gun wouldn't appeal to me. But Gunny Hathcock was The Man.

While not in the same league as the M14, a friend of mine has had good results with the CETME rifles. Its a spanish knockoff of the HK G93 rifle. He claims good accuracy and the price is right. I'm a big fan of the .308 round. Much better than the .223/5.56mm, in my opinion.
.308 in military rifles was our first concession to NATO. M1 Garand was THE combat rifle, but they never converted it for high capacity magazines because about the time we were considering the conversion, NATO insisted on .308. (BAR and other 30.06 machine guns were clunky, made for spray, not for accuracy.) So we ended up with the M14. M14 is a good rifle, but if they made a 30.06 version of the M14 I'd have the first one off the production line. (I tried a Remy 7400 in 30.06 once. Accuracy was for shit.)

That being said, there is an advantage to 5.56 in warfare, not the least of which is being able to carry more rounds for the same weight on long patrols, and/or being delivered more rounds per drop when being resupplied by air. But, admittedly, those advantages do not pull across into civilian needs. OTOH, if you're a "might need this someday" type, .223 is cheaper and smaller, easier to purchase and store in large quantities.

Its a good thing that you can carry more .223 rounds. You need more to do the job. Whereas a .308 is a one shot one kill round.

I am looking at a .223, but its for varmint hunting and as a good rifle for my wife & daughter. Considering the light recoil and good accuracy, it has its place.

But I am a long time believer in using as much gun as you can. My favorite revolver is a .44, my favorite autoloader is a .45, and my favorite auto-loading rifle is a .308.

I get excellent accuracy out of my Remington 700 in 7mm Magnum, but there is something special about the M14 in my mind.

Its a good thing that you can carry more .223 rounds. You need more to do the job. Whereas a .308 is a one shot one kill round.

I am looking at a .223, but its for varmint hunting and as a good rifle for my wife & daughter. Considering the light recoil and good accuracy, it has its place.

But I am a long time believer in using as much gun as you can. My favorite revolver is a .44, my favorite autoloader is a .45, and my favorite auto-loading rifle is a .308.

I get excellent accuracy out of my Remington 700 in 7mm Magnum, but there is something special about the M14 in my mind.
Military ammo is all FMJ.

A .30 cal in the right place will kill, but in a non-vital place will make a neat hole in and out.

A .223 round will also kill with one round if it hits the right place. But if it hits a non-vital area, it will likely deflect, bounce around inside, and even if not fatal is likely to cause more damage than a .30 cal bullet hitting the same place from the same angle. Buddy of mine was killed in Grenada because a small caliber bullet (5.45mm) hit him. It entered just above the knee, hit the bone and was deflected, traveled up his thigh and severed his femoral artery. He bled out before we could stop the bleeding.

A .30 cal bullet would have been heavy enough to break the bone, or even punch through it. Woulda fucked up his leg good, but he'd still be alive.

The only advantage to heavier calibers in combat is they are accurate over longer distances. Small bullets tend to start to tumble after a few hundred yards - earlier if there's much of a wind. A .30 cal won't.

Like I said, the need to carry lots of ammo does not come up in civilian use. It DOES come up in combat, and not because heavier bullets kill more so you need more smaller bullets to do the job. It comes up in combat because 90% of shooting is simply trying to spoil the other guys aim and keep their heads down. And they are shooting back, most of which is to spoil your aim and keep your head down. Modern combat uses a lot of ammo that way. And it's a real bitch if you find yourself needing to conserve because you're running low. Conserving ammo lets the enemy take better aim, which can fuck up your day.

Civilian situations are quite the opposite. Heavier calibers are preferable in hunting big game because they don't bounce around ruining meat. And if one needs more than a 5 round mag to bring home the meat, one really should practice more before going out again.

Heavier caliber handguns are preferable because, being close contact weapons, you need to put the target down hard before they can close on you. Even in combat a heavy handgun is preferable to a light one. I like the Baretta because of the way it feels, not because of its stopping power. My model 29 does that job.

You obviously know your munitions and have given thought to the uses.

The Model 29 is a great weapon. I have a Ruger 50th Anniv. Blackhawk in .44 that I love to shoot. Hopefully this fall I will tag a deer and at least one feral hog with it. Its also loaded in the house for whatever might try and ruin my peaceful night.

Back