Happy Birthday James Baldwin

I was taught to ignore race. So, if it hadn't been brought up first, I would have never commented. See how that works.

I beg to differ. At least in the discussion you and I had, you tried to make it about race when it was absolutely not about race. And somehow I doubt you are worried about offending me, but want the rules to change to keep you from being offended.

Now if you are looking for an exampleof hypocrisy, that would be it.

"Sit your five dollar ass down before I make change!"

I bet you've wanted to say such things in public all your life.

And for the first time in your life you can actually do it while sitting behind a screen. Alone, or with other hateful people.

I bet you've wanted to say such things in public all your life.

And for the first time in your life you can actually do it while sitting behind a screen. Alone, or with other hateful people.

He's just a keyboard warrior.

Last edited:
I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.
James A. Baldwin
People can cry much easier than they can change.
James A. Baldwin

People who treat other people as less than human must not be surprised when the bread they have cast on the waters comes floating back to them, poisoned.
James A. Baldwin

The only thing that white people have that black people need, or should want, is power-and no one holds power forever.
James A. Baldwin

The power of the white world is threatened whenever a black man refuses to accept the white world's definitions. James A. Baldwin

"To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time. "
— James Baldwin
"The poet or the revolutionary is there to articulate the necessity, but until the people themselves apprehend it, nothing can happen ... Perhaps it can't be done without the poet, but it certainly can't be done without the people. The poet and the people get on generally very badly, and yet they need each other. The poet knows it sooner than the people do. The people usually know it after the poet is dead; but that's all right. The point is to get your work done, and your work is to change the world."
— James Baldwin

Brent, If you don't think you are advantaged being a young white male born in the U.S.A. then you are just plain ignorant. I am sorry but that is the plain truth.

There is absolutely an advantage to being born a white male in the USA. This does not, however, mean that you cannot have a differing opinion from someone who was born a black male in the USA. And that is my main bone of contention with poet. I would not deny racism exists. But I woud say that throwing the word around as much as he has, for as little reason as he has, demeans those who have faced actual racism and lost.

There is absolutely an advantage to being born a white male in the USA. This does not, however, mean that you cannot have a differing opinion from someone who was born a black male in the USA. And that is my main bone of contention with poet. I would not deny racism exists. But I woud say that throwing the word around as much as he has, for as little reason as he has, demeans those who have faced actual racism and lost.

Dude. come on. There isn't a single 58 year old black man in this country that hasn't faced actual racism and lost. What the fuck are you talking about.

how does a new poster who joined in only january of this year....know zeus used to be brent?

Yurt, I'll take you off ignore you fucking pussy. Happy now?

As to your juvenile acusation, I have read plenty of posts in which Lord of kings or whatever his present moniker happens to be is refered to as Brent. Grow up child.

Dude. come on. There isn't a single 58 year old black man in this country that hasn't faced actual racism and lost. What the fuck are you talking about.

Did I say it didn't exist? Did I say there was no advantage to being born white?

My point is that not everything is racism.

Uh, boy howdy. You got that one right. How patronizing and dismissive to actually say "I would not deny racism exists".....as if you had to say that. Throwing the word around? Demeans those who have faced actual racism and lost? What have I experienced "racism light"? Pseudo racism? You don't get it, And I don't think some folks like you ever will.

Uh, boy howdy. You got that one right. How patronizing and dismissive to actually say "I would not deny racism exists".....as if you had to say that. Throwing the word around? Demeans those who have faced actual racism and lost? What have I experienced "racism light"? Pseudo racism? You don't get it, And I don't think some folks like you ever will.

Oh please, you are continuing to hold to the idea that the fact I am white means any correction or disagreement I present is either racism or white priviledge??

Oh please, you are continuing to hold to the idea that the fact I am white means any correction or disagreement I present is either racism or white priviledge??

Can you name me a recent incident of racism from a position of white power that you have personal knowledge of? An incident where racism was used socially and legally to justify ill treatment or oppression? I am not speaking of bigotry which is often present whether you are white; black; brown or yellow...every race have their bigots-just look at poet, but an incident of actual racism.

Absolutely not. The fact that you're confused has nothing to do with your race. You actually wrote "I would not deny racism exists". Duh. As if we needed you to state the obvious. Everything isn't racism. And white privilege only comes into play when you use it as a clear advantage as opposed to argument on the merits. The notion that you need to correct me is a clear indicator of "white privilege"...as if I needed anyone assistance, least of all , some white person pointing out my shortcomings. I reject it, out of hand. I assume you unfamiliar with "tact", or restraint.

Absolutely not. The fact that you're confused has nothing to do with your race. You actually wrote "I would not deny racism exists". Duh. As if we needed you to state the obvious. Everything isn't racism. And white privilege only comes into play when you use it as a clear advantage as opposed to argument on the merits. The notion that you need to correct me is a clear indicator of "white privilege"...as if I needed anyone assistance, least of all , some white person pointing out my shortcomings. I reject it, out of hand. I assume you unfamiliar with "tact", or restraint.

I prefaced my statements about white priviledge with the comment "I would not deny racism exists" to avoid the idiot knee-jerk reactions that would follow.

But when I have known someone's posting and moderating style for 4 years, and you have been here for a month, I feel that I know his motivations better. I did not point out your shortcomings. I pointed out an error in your judgement of Damo.

I am quite familiar with tact and restraint. However, since I have not seen any sign of them from you, that you expect others to use them is laughable.

Back