Help Me Remember

And Cypress, it is disingenuous to compare a couple statements to the lifetime work of Tipper. And attempting to say I wasn't there is foolishness. Of course I was. I was one of the long-hairs all up in arms about the attempt to silence their music.

Really?!!!!!:eek:

For an american president to even make several statements about Rock albums is highly unusual.. C'mon, its rock music, for crying out loud.

This is typically beneath the decorum and status of the office. Clearly, Reagan intended to be very supportive of censorship actions against the music industry.

I'm I suprised some moderate democrats, and southern baptist democrats were on board? No.

Where was the ACLU and the true progressives? They were against the baptists, againt gore, against reagan, and against the religious rightwing on this issue.

Funny how the ACLU is always for freedom of speech until it involves Christianity....you know the "hollyrollers"

For an american president to even make several statements about Rock albums is highly unusual.. C'mon, its rock music, for crying out loud.

This is typically beneath the decorum and status of the office. Clearly, Reagan intended to be very supportive of censorship actions against the music industry.

I'm I suprised some moderate democrats, and southern baptist democrats were on board? No.

Where was the ACLU and the true progressives? They were against the baptists, againt gore, against reagan, and against the religious rightwing on this issue.
Rubbish, you ignore it was AFTER he was in office that at least one of those statements you posted was made... That is what FORMER means...

Excellent, let's draw lines over who is and not for rock stars now, who the hell cares who was behind it all, dem or conserv or neocon or whatever. Does it really make a key issue to anything really important? Gotta love the non-partisan discussions that come along with anything so simplistic.

What's next, a partisan debate over a post about someones choice of music, and why they listen to it?

Oh, and the ACLU, according to them, is a non-partisan organization. Are you simply ignoring their own ideation to say that they are Democrats because the RR is always agaist them?

Rubbish, you ignore it was AFTER he was in office that at least one of those statements you posted was made... That is what FORMER means...

Nice spin Damo.

Okay, you win. Its all the fault of the Demcrats and liberals. The religious rightwing and Reagan really had nothing to do with it.

As far as I know, what Gore ultimately recommended was a voluntary warning label. Not a ban.

In contrast, Reagan said raunch rock music wasn't constitutionally protected - that it could be banned, by implication.

That's wonderful,care. Do you have a link? I know many members on here,since we are all just people on the internet,would fell better to see one. Just wondering

Next, if there were Republicans involved,then fine. These rock stars totally ignore the fact that their man AL Gore's wife wants to censor them. They go completely around it. Like I said,their i.q.'s probably aren't too high,but let's not blame it ALL on the R's

just put pmrc in google, it's the first one? not too hard krisy...?

and there are hundreds of other links there too that may enlighten you on the subject since you DID START the thread on this and asked the question, you might be interested in reading a little more on it instead of being happy with YOUR OWN conclusion in the first place, ya know? and i am sorry if that comes off ''mean'' but that is how it ''appears'' to me.... :(

anyway, for you...
the link i chose to use...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMRC

Nice spin Damo.

Okay, you win. Its all the fault of the Demcrats and liberals. The religious rightwing and Reagan really had nothing to do with it.

As far as I know, what Gore ultimately recommended was a voluntary warning label. Not a ban.

In contrast, Reagan said raunch rock music wasn't constitutionally protected - that it could be banned, by implication.
Look, I already stated earlier that the RR was involved. I have simply stated that blaming REAGAN is misguided anger. Reagan never worked wholeheartedly towards this kind of thing, it is disingenuous to suggest so just because you found some statements. What law did he sign about it? What restrictions did he put in place? Which did he call for while in office? Come on...

The RR did work with Gore on this, yes. But Reagan? Rubbish.

just put pmrc in google, it's the first one? not too hard krisy...?

and there are hundreds of other links there too that may enlighten you on the subject since you DID START the thread on this and asked the question, you might be interested in reading a little more on it instead of being happy with YOUR OWN conclusion in the first place, ya know? and i am sorry if that comes off ''mean'' but that is how it ''appears'' to me.... :(

anyway, for you...
the link i chose to use...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMRC

Actually,it wasn't my conclusion,it was what I remembered,but not sure if I was right. Hence,the reason I asked if anyone else happened to remember. Really not important enough for me to go scavenging around the interent for.

Don't be so offended. Your Lib buddies ask for links all the time:pke: :)

I never denied tipper gore was involved.

I think the truth of the matter, is that its probably good moderate and conservative democrats were involved. Tipper was a zealot, no doubt.

But, if you had a commission simply made up of rightwing Jerry Falwell clones, they would have recommended a ban. The moderates played a role, by influencing the recommendation to be a voluntary warning label.

I don't have heart-attacks at night worrying about voluntary warning labels. I would have a heart attack about Reagan's vision: that ranchy music is NOT constitutionally protected.

I never denied tipper gore was involved.

I think the truth of the matter, is that its probably good moderate and conservative democrats were involved. Tipper was a zealot, no doubt.

But, if you had a commission simply made up of rightwing Jerry Falwell clones, they would have recommended a ban. The moderates played a role, by influencing the recommendation to be a voluntary warning label.

I don't have heart-attacks at night worrying about voluntary warning labels. I would have a heart attack about Reagan's vision: that ranchy music is NOT constitutionally protected.
M'eh! He played to an audience. Actions speak louder than words. He was in a position to make a huge difference if he actually believed that strongly about it. Instead he took almost no action and called for no change while in that position. Politicians often play to that kind of thing, even after they leave office. However their actions speak for more loudly to what they actually did believe.

My whole point is saying "Reagan did it!" is simply pointing at the wrong culprit. It wasn't Reagan who Zappa debated, and that was because it wasn't Reagan making the argument.

This is a historical perspective from Dee Snider I presume.

Reagan was the widely acknowledge national representative of the "moral majority" movement in the 1980s. He was the public face, and most recognizable person which represents the strenght of that movement.

Tipper Gore is a senator's wife and an asterisk in history.

When people blame the turblent 1960s and the vietnam war on somebody, LBJ gets the blame. Not some republican senator who voted for the Tonkin Gulf resolution, or his gadfly wife who cheerled it.

LBJ was a major reason we were there. Reagan was a President who did nearly nothing towards what they complain about. The two are not equitable.

LBJ was a major reason we were there. Reagan was a President who did nearly nothing towards what they complain about. The two are not equitable.

was HE REALLY the main reason we were in vietnam, or was IKE the main reason we were in viet nam?

It happened with Reagan's blessing. Virtually nothing gets done on capitol hill without the support and blessing of the president.

The wife of Reagan's Secreatary of State was one of the founding members of PRRC. Did the censorship movement have the full blessing of reagan? You bet.

Actually,it wasn't my conclusion,it was what I remembered,but not sure if I was right. Hence,the reason I asked if anyone else happened to remember. Really not important enough for me to go scavenging around the interent for.

Don't be so offended. Your Lib buddies ask for links all the time:pke: :)
it was enough importance for you to start a THREAD on it krisy...just thought you REALLY wanted to know about the issue...sorry that you really didn't care about it...how was i to know that you post things that you really don't care about learning about, afterall, you are new to the site, and i hadn't pegged you as THAT TYPE YET?

i differ with my so called ''lib buddies'' on several democratic issues, fyi...

and since we're getting to ''know'' eachother... ;)

do you ever differ with your "con compadres"?

care

It happened with Reagan's blessing. Virtually nothing gets done on capitol hill without the support and blessing of the president.

The wife of Reagan's Secreatary of State was one of the founding members of PRRC. Did the censorship movement have the full blessing of reagan? You bet.
Most of those laws happened after Reagan left. His "blessing" was, once again, catering to a group but not the central theme. He was not the driving force. To say that Reagan had more to do with it than Tipper is laughable to the extreme level.

Back