I hate this place II

I froze up when he asked me about my favorite linux commands. All I could say was apt-get for installing packages in Ubuntu, and the fact that I used to make frequent use of alias in my old installation. It has been too long since my Linux class. I really need to switch to Ubuntu as my primary OS...

I froze up when he asked me about my favorite linux commands. All I could say was apt-get for installing packages in Ubuntu, and the fact that I used to make frequent use of alias in my old installation. It has been too long since my Linux class. I really need to switch to Ubuntu as my primary OS...

Good lord man, you could have said grep, chmod, top, vi, emacs, kill, mount, tcl/tk, lspci and a host of others, including man, which are de rigueur for Linux admins. Apt-get is only applicable to Debian based distros, so if they are using Red Hat/Fedora then you need to use yum.

You can only get better, my daughter in law has been going to interviews for a new job in London. Her CV was ok but I revamped it for her, because her only weakness is business English but she is getting better all the time, so will you. Anyway please tell me why you can't apply for jobs in somewhere like Atlanta? Isn't that supposed to be the Silicon Valley of the South?

Last edited:
Good lord man, you could have said grep, chmod, top, vi, emacs, kill, mount, tcl/tk, lspci and a host of others, including man, which are de rigueur for Linux admins. Apt-get is only applicable to Debian based distros, so if they are using Red Hat/Fedora then you need to use yum.

You can only get better, my daughter in law has been going to interviews for a new job in London. Her CV was ok but I revamped it for her, because her only weakness is business English but she is getting better all the time, so will you. Anyway please tell me why you can't apply for jobs in somewhere like Atlanta? Isn't that supposed to be the Silicon Valley of the South?

There are not many good programming jobs in Atlanta, surprisingly enough. At least not on Monster.

I guess the problem was declaring my "favorite" Linux command, most Linux commands (like mount) have fairly mundane functions and I would feel silly calling them my "favorite command". As for vim, I already mentioned that as a text editor I use on Linux platforms, and it doesn't really feel like a "Linux command" to me (just a program).

Prepare anyway. If I were interviewing I'd ask those questions you mucked with last time just to see if you are somebody that learns quickly. Arrays are not that difficult you know what they were talking about they just used unfamiliar terminology. Relax, flow, have a conversation and, if you can, enjoy yourself. You will win them over by being more relaxed and working through whatever they ask.

What they wound up doing was asking me an expanded set of questions. One set was work experience questions from the HR person (I never like those, there's really only so much you can say about your part time job at Popeyes), the other two sets were from the CIO, one about general programming questions (which I could answer pretty well), and another set of specific web development questions (which I was shaky on, although the research I did last night helped me with a couple). The interview was much more extensive than the last one and lasted nearly an hour.

Preparing for the interview. Took valerian root, st. john's wort, a quarter of a valium, my special high theanine brew of green tea, tylenol, and an Imodium (TMI?). Going over PHP questions again.
Good lord son! You'll end up having to pee in the middle of the interview!

What they wound up doing was asking me an expanded set of questions. One set was work experience questions from the HR person (I never like those, there's really only so much you can say about your part time job at Popeyes), the other two sets were from the CIO, one about general programming questions (which I could answer pretty well), and another set of specific web development questions (which I was shaky on, although the research I did last night helped me with a couple). The interview was much more extensive than the last one and lasted nearly an hour.
Well then you bagged it. They don't give a shit about your shit fast food job. They don't give a rats ass about your developing anything for them. That can come later. It was the general programing questions from the CIO that counted. If you did well there than its just a matter of the coin coming up heads or tails.

Call them back in two or three days.

In the meantime keep looking. You aint found a job yet.

I guess the problem was declaring my "favorite" Linux command, most Linux commands (like mount) have fairly mundane functions and I would feel silly calling them my "favorite command". As for vim, I already mentioned that as a text editor I use on Linux platforms, and it doesn't really feel like a "Linux command" to me (just a program).
A lot of companies don't post job openings in web sites like Monster. Try looking at the companies you are interested in web site and check out their "Career" link to take you to their job postings.

There are also employment recruiters (aka temp agencies). A lot of those jobs tend to become permanent if you produce.

I haven't had good success with applying directly at companies sites. Only one that called me back was Georgia Pacific, and you know how that turned out.

Google screened me with an impossible test, though. And Microsoft once replied back to me for a position I applied to in Germany, although the reply was in German and I assumed they weren't looking for English speaking ex-pats for the position.

I haven't had good success with applying directly at companies sites. Only one that called me back was Georgia Pacific, and you know how that turned out.

Google screened me with an impossible test, though. And Microsoft once replied back to me for a position I applied to in Germany, although the reply was in German and I assumed they weren't looking for English speaking ex-pats for the position.

Fuck You, Nazi

Do YOU know the answers? Experts reveal the 10 interview question responses you should know off by heart.

[h=3]CAN YOU ANSWER THESE? [/h] What are you proud to have accomplished at your last job?
How would your previous manager describe you?
Why are you looking to leave your current job?
Tell me about a time when you messed up at work. How did you fix your mistake?
What is your five-year plan?
Describe how an apple tastes to someone who can't taste.
What religious holidays do you practice?
Do you have any questions?

Ach der lieber! Wie werden sie wissen, wenn sie nicht angewandt, sie nichtmenschlichen?

CAN YOU ANSWER THESE?

What are you proud to have accomplished at your last job? I didn't kill a salesman.
How would your previous manager describe you? A misanthropic hermit with a Napoleonic complex.
Why are you looking to leave your current job? It sucks.
Tell me about a time when you messed up at work. How did you fix your mistake? I trained a customer service rep to go into sales. No, he's still alive.
What is your five-year plan? What else. Conquer the world.
Describe how an apple tastes to someone who can't taste. It's crunchy, juicy and refreshing, and if green, leaves an expression on your face like someone just farted.
What religious holidays do you practice? None but I observe several.
Do you have any questions? When do I start? m:)

Watermark, I have just completed my letter of resignation as Dean of Students here at the public school where I teach. If you want a job bossing teachers around and taking marching orders from a psychotic Superintendent you can come work with me in Oklahoma next year. :D

Sorry, you won't make near what a programmer will make. ;)

Watermark, I have just completed my letter of resignation as Dean of Students here at the public school where I teach. If you want a job bossing teachers around and taking marching orders from a psychotic Superintendent you can come work with me in Oklahoma next year. :D

Sorry, you won't make near what a programmer will make. ;)

I am sorry to hear this, I bet you were wonderful

A lot of companies don't post job openings in web sites like Monster. Try looking at the companies you are interested in web site and check out their "Career" link to take you to their job postings.

There are also employment recruiters (aka temp agencies). A lot of those jobs tend to become permanent if you produce.

That depends heavily on who you temp for. We have Temps that have been here for 12 years.

I am sorry to hear this, I bet you were wonderful

Thanks, Rana. My teachers and students definitely feel that way. Some health concerns require me to seek a less stressful position though, so I will be returning to the classroom. I'm not sad about that as I dearly love teaching. I teach three classes right now. Monday night I was telling my wife that I'm in my 29th year of teaching and had tried a new approach of teaching my Algebra I kids how to solve systems of equations by substitution. I told her I couldn't wait for class on Tuesday to see if it worked any better.

Back