I hate this place II

I've been doing it since 2013 Mott, I even made a thread about it and asked you specifically for advice.

Anyways it's mostly quality work. Rockwell/Brinell/Vickers testing, reviewing mill certs and quality data, tensile testing and micro evaluation.
Well I either missed it or I plumb forgot about it. It's not like we talk much about work here. I used to do similar testing, particularly Vickers hardness testing on ceramic and glass/ceramic composites. Do you do any XRF or XRD work?

Should I refer to them as "[FIRST NAME]" or by "[Mr./Ms. [LAST NAME]"? Usually I would err on the side of the later, but the recruiter refered to the CIO by first name in her message so I'm not sure if that's just what they do around there.
If they are introduced to you by their first name use that. If they are introduced to you as Mr. So&so or Ms. So&so then use that. Make sure that when you speak to someone, assuming you are seated, lean towards that person and make eye contact and maintain eye contact while you speak with them. Don't make it a bloody staring contest...it's ok to blink and smile. Just imagine that your Damo and try to be the exact opposite of that. :)

I manage the lab. My tech do most of the work, and I mostly just review/compile the results and do chemistry analysis for customers for their production processes. I'm trying to transfer more towards production/prototype consulting. My welding days are mostly behind me, though I still practice now and then to keep my skills up and fix shit.
You right. Go back into production on the process and product side. That and sales is where the money is at.

Well I either missed it or I plumb forgot about it. It's not like we talk much about work here. I used to do similar testing, particularly Vickers hardness testing on ceramic and glass/ceramic composites. Do you do any XRF or XRD work?

No, don't do any of that. The metallograph and spectrometer can tell me pretty much everything I need to know. I think they do that on the experimental side, but I almost never talk to them.

No, don't do any of that. The metallograph and spectrometer can tell me pretty much everything I need to know. I think they do that on the experimental side, but I almost never talk to them.
Bummer...that's where they do all the fun stuff. :)

Yea don't stay in the QA/QC lab too long. It will stall your career. If your doing process/product development or R&D that's cool but QA/QC is a good spring board vehicle for a leadership role in production.

If they are introduced to you by their first name use that. If they are introduced to you as Mr. So&so or Ms. So&so then use that. Make sure that when you speak to someone, assuming you are seated, lean towards that person and make eye contact and maintain eye contact while you speak with them. Don't make it a bloody staring contest...it's ok to blink and smile. Just imagine that your Damo and try to be the exact opposite of that. :)

It's going to be on Skype, so the best I can do is look at the camera (although I may miss their facial expressions if I do that)

Practice. Do you have any friends working on Film or TV?

I've done a few practice Skype calls with my brother. Just to make sure all the equipment is working and the quality is good. Also tested several locations out for lighting. Unfortunately, the equipment on his end is very bad (just his phone, without even headphones, so that I can here my own echo).

Any advice on what to do to prepare for the interview on monday?

Posture is important. Shave, keep your hair in good order. Don't look like a bag of ass basically. Try not to talk with your hands much (if this is a habit of yours).

Posture is important. Shave, keep your hair in good order. Don't look like a bag of ass basically. Try not to talk with your hands much (if this is a habit of yours).

Yeah, I made sure to take care of all that on Thursday. Got a haircut. Going to shave the morning of the interview. I'm not sure they'll be able to tell with the quality of the interview, but I'm not taking chances.

Also going to wear a dress shirt - should I go with or without a tie?

Yeah, I made sure to take care of all that on Thursday. Got a haircut. Going to shave the morning of the interview. I'm not sure they'll be able to tell with the quality of the interview, but I'm not taking chances.

Also going to wear a dress shirt - should I go with or without a tie?
With tie but not jacket. You want to look professional. Not desperate. Make sure the shirt is ironed or pressed.

I'm thinking of looking up common interview questions for PHP and MySQL, and installing a Linux virtual machine and testing out their wordpress plugin.

I don't talk with my hands at all.
Good. Just take it easy. Remember, when addressed with a question respond to that person using their name and look into the camera to reply and not the screen only look at the screen when no one is talking. It makes it look like you're looking that person in the eye.

Good. Just take it easy. Remember, when addressed with a question respond to that person using their name and look into the camera to reply and not the screen only look at the screen when no one is talking. It makes it look like you're looking that person in the eye.

The light of the screen is going to bounce off of my glasses anyway and they won't be able to see my eyes. Only way to prevent this would be to turn the screen off, in which case I wouldn't be able to see them.

Back