I think I might have a legal issue with my company

THis is a great place to note that San Antonio has for many years been a solidly democratic city, and is more so all the time. Things not being done right is common.

Intel left California almost entirely as has the entire chip and electronics manufacturing industry. That is true across Blue states. Why? Because those states usually have the most onerous regulatory requirements on manufacturing anything.

I remember reading a case of a ladder manufacturer in California year ago. The state came in and told him he had to do like a million + in upgrades and environmental controls on his plant or they wouldn't let him make ladders. He called his entire workforce, something like 50 people in and introduced them to the state regulators and then told them they were all terminated as of like a few days. He said he'd pay them in full with a bonus.
He then said if they wanted their job he'd be glad to keep them on in Goodyear Arizona where the plant was moving ASAP. He said the reason was the regulators--standing there--had demanded he make unaffordable upgrades to his plant in California. They had to call the cops to keep the regulators from being beaten to death by the employees...

Funny thing, he makes ladders in Goodyear AZ and sells them in California... (among other places).

California fucked themselves when it comes to manufacturing.

I think you're incorrect. Intel has a huge campus in Oregon, a heavy blue state. FB and Twitter are HQ'd in CA, and Silicon Valley is still Silicon Valley in N CA.

Manufacturing is fucked all over the nation, not just in CA. The computer you're typing on right now was likely assembled in China, Taiwan, or S. Korea.

If you have not made a mistake then you would not need another job Champ.

THINK!

People switch jobs all the time.

Champ. You like to play "Debbie Downer" because you hate yourself. It's why you're constantly trying to make others miserable.

So I just got off the phone with the Texas Workforce Commission. I was right. They can't work me for free.

So, if I don't start pulling in big bucks here, I'll just find another job and file a claim for the hours I've worked here. At the very least I'll keep this dealership from screwing anyone else.

So called "right to work" laws are the sign of a pathetically socially regressive state.
I'm not sure why any person of character would want to live in one.

To me, my activities as a union rep were many times more important than my actual company work.
I was good at my actual job, and recognized for it, but I'm most proud of my union activities which helped a lot of people.

You don't have to tell me that, I just bought a new truck. They discounted to just above MSRP because the sales freak I got was a new hire and junior while I was offering to pay cash for the vehicle. Ended up cutting them a $20,000 casher's check with a finance on the other roughly $28,000 at just over 5% (which I haven't decided if I'll just drop a check on them for the payoff or not). But they were firm on not going below MSRP on the sale.

The poor salesguy didn't quite know what to make of me. I wasn't exactly friendly... But then again, I didn't have to be...

Oh, my bank sent me a special invitation to lease a Maserati last week, as if... Who the hell would want an overpriced Italian POS?

cool-story-bro-6.jpg

My friend who is the manager of a dealership says the part of his job that sucks is dealing with people like me!

You don't have to tell me that, I just bought a new truck. They discounted to just above MSRP because the sales freak I got was a new hire and junior while I was offering to pay cash for the vehicle. Ended up cutting them a $20,000 casher's check with a finance on the other roughly $28,000 at just over 5% (which I haven't decided if I'll just drop a check on them for the payoff or not). But they were firm on not going below MSRP on the sale.

The poor salesguy didn't quite know what to make of me. I wasn't exactly friendly... But then again, I didn't have to be...

Oh, my bank sent me a special invitation to lease a Maserati last week, as if... Who the hell would want an overpriced Italian POS?

I rented a Maserati Quattroporte in Vegas, once, TAG.
Trust me. it's not a piece of shit.
Maybe a truck driver like yourself wouldn't appreciate it, but it's not a piece of shit.

Which is worse?

A state that goes all-out to protect workers at the expense of employers or a state that goes all out to protect employers at the expense of workers.

In states that practice the former, there is a shortage of good jobs and employers because they leave the state leaving workers unemployed. The employers who stay start treating their workers poorly in most cases because of regulations forced on them by the state making it hard to stay in business. In the later, there is a mix of good and bad employers, the bad ones taking advantage of the workers, but at least everyone has a job...

There's a happy medium, which we have been enjoying for decades now thanks to labor unions and labor law. Guess which party is hell bent on dismantling things like workers comp, OSHA/workplace safety, minimum wage, max hours worked w/o overtime pay, the right to organize and form a union, and so on? Hint: The name does not start with "Democrat."

There's a happy medium, which we have been enjoying for decades now thanks to labor unions and labor law. Guess which party is hell bent on dismantling things like workers comp, OSHA/workplace safety, minimum wage, max hours worked w/o overtime pay, the right to organize and form a union, and so on? Hint: The name does not start with "Democrat."

Sure. I was taking the two extremes as a comparison to make the difference more vivid.

Back