Im going to get stoned and reoragnize my vinyl

I remember the 2000-2004 timeframe when there were no physical barriers in place to stop me from going onto sites like Kazaa and downloading whatever the fuck I wanted. Now you actually have to know your way around in order to pirate, and I just haven't really adjusted. That timeframe was actually after Napster got taken down, so it was weird, wondering how much longer it would all last.
The 1991-2004 timeframe will probably be remembered as the true era of online freedom.

I remember downloading Kazaa and causing my computer to crash. :(

I always used Kazaa Lite, which was repackaged to strip away the adware, and always gave you the best speeds. This was a violation of the IP rights of Kazaa, but I'm sure every cried a river over that.

File sharing is bad bears, but this kind of statement is incredibly easy to shrug off for its outlandishness.

That's like saying libraries are bad, because you're sharing information and books. But nobody says that, even though it's literally the same thing.

Every stolen song is a bottle of baby milk stolen from the artist fridge.

Like I said, I mostly steam off of YouTube, which compensates artists using ad money. As well, they're is not a 1:1 correlation between piracy and sales lost. If I didn't pirate. I wouldn't have bought 10000 dollars in TTC lectures either. It's insane to say that every piracy was a loss in sales for them, it obviously wasn't. People pirate far more than they could plausibly buy.

Like I said, I mostly steam off of YouTube, which compensates artists using ad money. As well, they're is not a 1:1 correlation between piracy and sales lost. If I didn't pirate. I wouldn't have bought 10000 dollars in TTC lectures either. It's insane to say that every piracy was a loss in sales for them, it obviously wasn't. People pirate far more than they could plausibly buy.

People also pirate things they would never buy. Or things that they MIGHT buy, but want to try first. I've bought plenty of games that I've pirated first.

In the presence of such inept arguments from older, out of touch folks, I'm starting to have more sympathy for the positions of IP anarchists in reddit I've lost a considerable amount of karma arguing against.

1) You are not renting that data

2) Intellectual copyrights

3) I'm saying that stealing data through pirating torrents or w.e. is not literally taking food out of the mouths of babies. Much of the data is from large companies, however an equally large portion is from underground developers. In fact, where it comes from is irrelevant. Its profit you are stealing.

We'll never stop theft, not on intangible property.

1) You are not renting that data
Well, it's not stealing. There is no transfer of a quantifiable good. Every single CD/DVD/book/whatever made for that data still exists in the same hands of the people who did buy it.

2) Intellectual copyrights
An outdated and archaic system that thoroughly needs modernization.

3) I'm saying that stealing data through pirating torrents or w.e. is not literally taking food out of the mouths of babies. Much of the data is from large companies, however an equally large portion is from underground developers. In fact, where it comes from is irrelevant. Its profit you are stealing.
And there isn't a direct correlation between to two. As has been pointed out, plenty of people pirate things they would never buy. Or things that are no longer available for purchase. How is that a loss of profit when it's not sold or the pirate would never buy it to begin with?

Back