I've decided how I want to die

I am opposed to assisted suicide because I think it is a slow path to allowing the state sanction murdering citizens.

From a practical matter, why does anyone need help in committing suicide. I mean I know Skidmark is such a fucking loser he can't find a job, but can't figure out how to kill himself without help?

people would rather go peacefully with a drug cocktail they may not have the medical expertise to administer, rather than painting the wall with their brains. if someone has inoperable cancer wouldn't it be better to slowly go to sleep than have to figure out how to tie a noose? that's pretty morbid.

For the sake of discussion I would throw out an elder in close to a vegetable state that doesn't have to ability to go throw themselves off a bridge etc. I hate, for me personally, the thought of being in that type of condition where you essentially have no life but are just lying around until you die. Now maybe if I find myself in that position one day I might feel differently but I've told my wife I don't want to be in that state. She has my permission to pull the plug on me.

everyone always says this when they are healthy. I wonder if it's different when you are lying there slowly dying but still cherishing the moments you have left. I don't trust myself to make decisions for future me.

Maybe I'm in a hospital bed in and out on a breathing machine, but i'm relaxed, peaceful, I can hear people talking and enjoying their conversations, I hear a kid laugh or tell a joke, maybe I hear a doctor in a hallway talk about the new medical technology coming up right around the corner that could help people like me.

But I can't say anything anymore, here comes my family to do their duty, "ok kill the breathing machine"....*wow this is not going to be pleasant...* you're screaming in your head not to do it but it's too late, your wife pulls the plug. goodbye.

I don't so much care about how I die as long as it's quick and painless.

But I intend to have my body lie in state for three days while a choir of castrati sing "Hooked on a Feeling."

But I intend to have my body lie in state for three days while a choir of castrati sing "Hooked on a Feeling."

hahahahahahahah

yes its kinda meaningless huh.

I have instructed my family to take the cheapest option at every turn UNLESS someone living needs something else done to feel better about the situation.

I want to go cheap

I wont be here and it wont matter to me

cheap is best

everyone always says this when they are healthy. I wonder if it's different when you are lying there slowly dying but still cherishing the moments you have left. I don't trust myself to make decisions for future me.

Maybe I'm in a hospital bed in and out on a breathing machine, but i'm relaxed, peaceful, I can hear people talking and enjoying their conversations, I hear a kid laugh or tell a joke, maybe I hear a doctor in a hallway talk about the new medical technology coming up right around the corner that could help people like me.

But I can't say anything anymore, here comes my family to do their duty, "ok kill the breathing machine"....*wow this is not going to be pleasant...* you're screaming in your head not to do it but it's too late, your wife pulls the plug. goodbye.

You should check out a little flick from 1971 called "Johnny Got His Gun".

It's about a WWI vet who gets his arms, legs, face and ears blown off during the war and what happens to him when he gets to the hospital.

The Doctors think he's a vegetable, he knows he's not, but can't communicate with them to let anyone know.

Ding Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!

Quick, painless and/or in my sleep.

I want heroin on my deathbed

I have never gone to these types of drugs that make you crave he first time for obvious reasons.

If you only have it once its not a problem huh.

Look any of you wishing to depart this earth in a blaze of glory and in a quick fashion just go out and assault George Zimmerman. BOOM YOU ARE DEAD

Yea, but just think about all the medical bills you'd be saving on!

That is murder and I oppose murder. I could argue that Zimmerman just did an assisted suicide with Trayvon.

If you want to kill yourself do it. Why do you need help?

And now a fun thread takes a dark turn. Ah, well.

I would suggest you watch a film titled, "Choosing to Die."

In it, it shows exactly why assisted suicide is something we should have an option for.

The film follows Sir Terry Pratchett who, at the time, was in the early stages of early-onset Alzeheier's Disease. He follows two individuals who have chosen suicide.

One of them is a 42-year-old man with multiple sclerosis who had already attempted suicide twice, both times taking months' worth of pain killers. Both times it failed and he survived. Both times he also had to be alone - because if anyone had been with him they could have faced charges in his death. He went to Switzerland with his mother and brother where he finally committed suicide in a place where he was able to be with his loved ones as he died.

The problem is that even under Swiss law, the person who is going to die must take the drugs that will kill them, the drugs cannot be administered by another person.

And that means that he died early, because if he waited until he could no longer hold the cup, or could not fly to Switzerland, he would have had to continue with the incurable disease that would eventually leave him unable to move or care for himself.

The same is true of 71-year-old millionaire Peter Smedley, who had Motor Neuron Disease. He also went to Switzerland, with his wife, to die before he could no longer take the drugs himself.

In both of these cases, the individuals had incurable diseases that cause great pain and would eventually leave them locked into bodies that would no longer move. They would find themselves in nursing homes or under the care of friends and family. Neither of them wanted to end that way, and they wanted to preserve their own dignity - so they died before they really wanted to because people like you want to force your beliefs on them.

And yes, this is a hot-button issue for me. I watched my step-father go through the agony of metastasized melanoma. He went from a strong, vital man to someone in constant excruciating pain that no amount of morphine in the world could ease. I watched him suffer the indignity of soiling himself on a regular basis, and the eventual rapid onset of dementia when the cancer reached his brain.

Before it got to that stage, he said that he would prefer to die in as little pain and with as much dignity as possible. But he was denied that.

So you go ahead and tell me which is the higher moral obligation.

If you believe that assisted suicide is murder, then the simplest suggestion is that you do not assist anyone in their suicide. But how dare you or anyone else try to condemn others to months, years or decades of pain - physical, psychological and emotional - and the stripping of their dignity to satisfy your own moral prejudices?

And now a fun thread takes a dark turn. Ah, well.

I would suggest you watch a film titled, "Choosing to Die."

In it, it shows exactly why assisted suicide is something we should have an option for.

The film follows Sir Terry Pratchett who, at the time, was in the early stages of early-onset Alzeheier's Disease. He follows two individuals who have chosen suicide.

One of them is a 42-year-old man with multiple sclerosis who had already attempted suicide twice, both times taking months' worth of pain killers. Both times it failed and he survived. Both times he also had to be alone - because if anyone had been with him they could have faced charges in his death. He went to Switzerland with his mother and brother where he finally committed suicide in a place where he was able to be with his loved ones as he died.

The problem is that even under Swiss law, the person who is going to die must take the drugs that will kill them, the drugs cannot be administered by another person.

And that means that he died early, because if he waited until he could no longer hold the cup, or could not fly to Switzerland, he would have had to continue with the incurable disease that would eventually leave him unable to move or care for himself.

The same is true of 71-year-old millionaire Peter Smedley, who had Motor Neuron Disease. He also went to Switzerland, with his wife, to die before he could no longer take the drugs himself.

In both of these cases, the individuals had incurable diseases that cause great pain and would eventually leave them locked into bodies that would no longer move. They would find themselves in nursing homes or under the care of friends and family. Neither of them wanted to end that way, and they wanted to preserve their own dignity - so they died before they really wanted to because people like you want to force your beliefs on them.

And yes, this is a hot-button issue for me. I watched my step-father go through the agony of metastasized melanoma. He went from a strong, vital man to someone in constant excruciating pain that no amount of morphine in the world could ease. I watched him suffer the indignity of soiling himself on a regular basis, and the eventual rapid onset of dementia when the cancer reached his brain.

Before it got to that stage, he said that he would prefer to die in as little pain and with as much dignity as possible. But he was denied that.

So you go ahead and tell me which is the higher moral obligation.

If you believe that assisted suicide is murder, then the simplest suggestion is that you do not assist anyone in their suicide. But how dare you or anyone else try to condemn others to months, years or decades of pain - physical, psychological and emotional - and the stripping of their dignity to satisfy your own moral prejudices?

My only problem with this, are those that will take advantage of it and use it "assist" someone who may not want to die.
If there were guidelines provided that were written in stone, like written wills or no resuscitation forms, it would be probably more accepted.

Back