I've decided how I want to die

And now a fun thread takes a dark turn. Ah, well.

I would suggest you watch a film titled, "Choosing to Die."

In it, it shows exactly why assisted suicide is something we should have an option for.

The film follows Sir Terry Pratchett who, at the time, was in the early stages of early-onset Alzeheier's Disease. He follows two individuals who have chosen suicide.

One of them is a 42-year-old man with multiple sclerosis who had already attempted suicide twice, both times taking months' worth of pain killers. Both times it failed and he survived. Both times he also had to be alone - because if anyone had been with him they could have faced charges in his death. He went to Switzerland with his mother and brother where he finally committed suicide in a place where he was able to be with his loved ones as he died.

The problem is that even under Swiss law, the person who is going to die must take the drugs that will kill them, the drugs cannot be administered by another person.

And that means that he died early, because if he waited until he could no longer hold the cup, or could not fly to Switzerland, he would have had to continue with the incurable disease that would eventually leave him unable to move or care for himself.

The same is true of 71-year-old millionaire Peter Smedley, who had Motor Neuron Disease. He also went to Switzerland, with his wife, to die before he could no longer take the drugs himself.

In both of these cases, the individuals had incurable diseases that cause great pain and would eventually leave them locked into bodies that would no longer move. They would find themselves in nursing homes or under the care of friends and family. Neither of them wanted to end that way, and they wanted to preserve their own dignity - so they died before they really wanted to because people like you want to force your beliefs on them.

And yes, this is a hot-button issue for me. I watched my step-father go through the agony of metastasized melanoma. He went from a strong, vital man to someone in constant excruciating pain that no amount of morphine in the world could ease. I watched him suffer the indignity of soiling himself on a regular basis, and the eventual rapid onset of dementia when the cancer reached his brain.

Before it got to that stage, he said that he would prefer to die in as little pain and with as much dignity as possible. But he was denied that.

So you go ahead and tell me which is the higher moral obligation.

If you believe that assisted suicide is murder, then the simplest suggestion is that you do not assist anyone in their suicide. But how dare you or anyone else try to condemn others to months, years or decades of pain - physical, psychological and emotional - and the stripping of their dignity to satisfy your own moral prejudices?

Who knew you were the only one to have personal experience with watching a loved one die?

I guess we should all defer to your anecdotal experience.

I just expressed my opinion. Don't care if you don't like it.

Go fuck your self.

Who knew you were the only one to have personal experience with watching a loved one die?

Go fuck your self.

I just wanted to point out that you are against yet another freedom.

And now a fun thread takes a dark turn. Ah, well.

I would suggest you watch a film titled, "Choosing to Die."

In it, it shows exactly why assisted suicide is something we should have an option for.

The film follows Sir Terry Pratchett who, at the time, was in the early stages of early-onset Alzeheier's Disease. He follows two individuals who have chosen suicide.

One of them is a 42-year-old man with multiple sclerosis who had already attempted suicide twice, both times taking months' worth of pain killers. Both times it failed and he survived. Both times he also had to be alone - because if anyone had been with him they could have faced charges in his death. He went to Switzerland with his mother and brother where he finally committed suicide in a place where he was able to be with his loved ones as he died.

The problem is that even under Swiss law, the person who is going to die must take the drugs that will kill them, the drugs cannot be administered by another person.

And that means that he died early, because if he waited until he could no longer hold the cup, or could not fly to Switzerland, he would have had to continue with the incurable disease that would eventually leave him unable to move or care for himself.

The same is true of 71-year-old millionaire Peter Smedley, who had Motor Neuron Disease. He also went to Switzerland, with his wife, to die before he could no longer take the drugs himself.

In both of these cases, the individuals had incurable diseases that cause great pain and would eventually leave them locked into bodies that would no longer move. They would find themselves in nursing homes or under the care of friends and family. Neither of them wanted to end that way, and they wanted to preserve their own dignity - so they died before they really wanted to because people like you want to force your beliefs on them.

And yes, this is a hot-button issue for me. I watched my step-father go through the agony of metastasized melanoma. He went from a strong, vital man to someone in constant excruciating pain that no amount of morphine in the world could ease. I watched him suffer the indignity of soiling himself on a regular basis, and the eventual rapid onset of dementia when the cancer reached his brain.

Before it got to that stage, he said that he would prefer to die in as little pain and with as much dignity as possible. But he was denied that.

So you go ahead and tell me which is the higher moral obligation.

If you believe that assisted suicide is murder, then the simplest suggestion is that you do not assist anyone in their suicide. But how dare you or anyone else try to condemn others to months, years or decades of pain - physical, psychological and emotional - and the stripping of their dignity to satisfy your own moral prejudices?

PS

If he was still in pain he wasn't getting enough

Go fuck your self.

Touch a nerve, did I?

Perhaps you watched someone die and couldn't do anything about it but wanted to, is that it?

There is a difference between murder and ending the suffering of someone who wants it ended but can't do it themselves because they are no longer capable of doing so.

(As an aside, saying "Go fuck yourself" in a debate forum is exactly the same as saying, "You're right and I can't think of a better response but don't want to admit you're right.") :)

PS

If he was still in pain he wasn't getting enough

Clearly you are completely ignorant of the kind of pain that cancer can cause, or when "too much morphine" means "Oh, the doctor killed him by overdosing him."

Isn't that what you want to stop? Someone killing something else?

So you suggest that someone in pain should be given more morphine to the point that it kills them. That's your answer.

You complete idiot.

My only problem with this, are those that will take advantage of it and use it "assist" someone who may not want to die.
If there were guidelines provided that were written in stone, like written wills or no resuscitation forms, it would be probably more accepted.

This would go without saying, I dare say. And I am not familiar with any attempt to add assisted suicide legislation that did not have safeguards to ensure that someone wasn't just going around killing people willy-nilly.

Touch a nerve, did I?

Perhaps you watched someone die and couldn't do anything about it but wanted to, is that it?

There is a difference between murder and ending the suffering of someone who wants it ended but can't do it themselves because they are no longer capable of doing so.

(As an aside, saying "Go fuck yourself" in a debate forum is exactly the same as saying, "You're right and I can't think of a better response but don't want to admit you're right.") :)

Murder is murder. If you want to kill yourself then kill your self

Clearly you are completely ignorant of the kind of pain that cancer can cause, or when "too much morphine" means "Oh, the doctor killed him by overdosing him."

So you suggest that someone in pain should be given more morphine to the point that it kills them. That's your answer.

You complete idiot.

Actually I know quite a bit about cancer pain. I know quite a bit about the psychology of treating pain.

Now here is a news flash sparky. There is no maximum dose of morphine. You can keep titrating a patients dosage until their pain is controlled or the side effects are intolerable. You are ignorant of the ways of pain management and unfortunately many physicians are as well.

This would go without saying, I dare say. And I am not familiar with any attempt to add assisted suicide legislation that did not have safeguards to ensure that someone wasn't just going around killing people willy-nilly.

I will lend you a gun. Go into the woods and blow your brains out. There I assisted your suicide.

If you can get Deshatrd and Skidmark to stand directly behind you and blow their heads off too, that would be a bonus.

You complete idiot.
Hey that's not fair! ILA may be 99.8% an idiot but he's not a complete idiot!!

Actually I know quite a bit about cancer pain. I know quite a bit about the psychology of treating pain.

Now here is a news flash sparky. There is no maximum dose of morphine. You can keep titrating a patients dosage until their pain is controlled or the side effects are intolerable. You are ignorant of the ways of pain management and unfortunately many physicians are as well.
OK I was wrong. He is a complete idiot.

Back