Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Hey Jade, remember when you mentioned those terrifying hot peppers, Trinidad something? You posted a link to the seeds on Ebay back in December; I ordered some. Got them started in the peat pots, waiting to go out in the hoop house. Gonna be some burning this summer. lol

You can make mixed pepper vinegar sauce... The vinegar is wonderful sprinkled on any kind of greens including braised Spinach.. and the bottle make niice gifts.. very pretty.

Teach me, O Sensei.

Easy peasy..

1.Clean jar, lid, and band and rinse well. ...
2.Mix together sugar, salt, vinegar, and optional olive oil in a stainless steel saucepan.
3.Cook over medium heat until it begins to boil.
4.Fill jar with peppers and pour hot vinegar mixture over the peppers.

Southern Pepper Sauce Recipe - Add a Pinch

https://addapinch.com/southern-pepper-sauce-recipe/

You can also add whole garlic cloves.

Easy peasy..

2.Mix together sugar, salt, vinegar, and optional olive oil in a stainless steel saucepan.

Saved... muchas gracias!

BTW, I found a motherlode of wild leeks (ramps) the other day. I snipped one leaf only from dozens of plants and brought home a sack full. They are fermenting now out in the greenhouse. Had them inside for the first couple of days but the stench was pretty awful. lol We're going on a foraging expedition with some friends from the university tomorrow, including a couple of the native studies profs. Should be bringing home much goodness!

Saved... muchas gracias!

I don't use olive oil.. just white vinegar, but there is a pickled shrimp and oinion recipe that I do use olive oil..

When I had a big garden I pickled Okra, green beans, garlic with pimento .. and cucumbers.

Everything got a clove of garlic in the jar.. sometimes a spring of dill or a hot pepper.

This is the coolest video on how to peel 20 cloves of garlic in 20 seconds.

and it WORKS.

I still make pickled garlic with pimentos.. A jar will knock out a sore throat or head cold in a matter of hours.

This is the coolest video on how to peel 20 cloves of garlic in 20 seconds.

and it WORKS.

I still make pickled garlic with pimentos.. A jar will knock out a sore throat or head cold in a matter of hours.

That's so cool! My favorite bit, about what he learned from Martha Stewart: How to make a shiv from a broken toothbrush. lol

Carolina Pickled Shrimp

1 Vidalia or sweet onion, thinly sliced

1 lemon, thinly sliced

3/4 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup canola or olive oil

1/4 cup capers with their juices

3/4 teaspoon celery seeds

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

Splash of Tabasco sauce, to taste

1 1/2 pounds (41/50 count) peeled and cooked shrimp

In a large bowl, combine the onions, lemon, cider vinegar, canola oil, capers, celery seeds, sugar, salt, nd Tabasco. Add the shrimp and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve chilled. Keeps for at least a week.

You really need a large jar with a lid that seals tight for this recipe.

Easy peasy..

I had to sign up for their website. Thanks

Or you could skip the middle cake and just apply that rum to yourself. lol That really does look good though.

Went on a foraging expedition Saturday with ppl from the university. Brought home a bucket of wild leeks (ramps). I just pick the leaves so as not to kill the plants. Had some in salad yesterday, chopped raw. Going to make some bacon and leek soup today, and then dehydrate the rest. If they dehydrate well I'll be doing some more foraging later in the week. We also found some fiddleheads. They're delicious raw or sauteed in butter with a touch of garlic (or leeks!).

It's 4 and a half minutes long, just watch the last 1 and a half minute. A possible vacation idea. I know you're a little tight with a nickel, I think the parachute is optional. You could save there?

What is oxalate?

A plant based chemical compound, often to be avoided if you have kidney stone issues. It often combines with calcium, and that can cause the stones to form. Some research has shown that consuming calcium, and the oxalate foods together will make the substances bind in the stomach rather that in the kidneys though.

A plant based chemical compound, to often be avoided if you have kidney stone issues. It often combines with calcium, and that can cause the stones to form. Some research has shown that consuming calcium, and the oxalate foods together will make the substances bind in the stomach rather that in the kidneys though.

I had no idea. Thanks.

Back