Jade's Recipe Exchange.

A few acres at my house. 120 acres at my farm that is roughly 50% wooded, but I don't do anything with that place yet other than rent out parts of it to various people.

The short answer to your question is no as that would be illegal in my city. The long answer is that I bought several contiguous properties, some lots, some with houses on them, with the intent of creating an urban farm, but right smack in the midst of getting that gong, my city passed a ridiculous ordinance that would prohibit me from selling any fruits or vegetables without first obtaining a use permit for each of the tax parcels which would be $750 each because I would not be able to consolidate them all into one property without tearing down the houses on the ones that have them and paying a surveyor several thousand dollars to replat them. I decided instead I will just move to my farm when I can afford to become a real farmer but that will first require renovating (or replacing) the house on it as it is a proper shack with neither central heat nor central air conditioning and an electrical system that hasn't been upgraded since Hitler was kicking around Europe as best as I can tell.

That's a shame that they are so unfriendly to urban farmers. Just the plant life alone would do a lot to improve the air quality and also the beauty of the area.

That's a shame that they are so unfriendly to urban farmers. Just the plant life alone would do a lot to improve the air quality and also the beauty of the area.

In my particular situation, there is plenty of plant life without the urban farming. Not super high-density in my area. I am in what used to be a village that was annexed by the city in a land grab intended to suck up a factory that is the largest employer on the far side of us. We were just caught in the crossfire. My little corner of the universe is not super high density like it is on the other side of the city. Acre lots, give or take, are pretty common. Shockingly a lot of people aren't interested in moving into my neighborhood and surrounds because they think the yards are too big and require too much work to maintain. People have become too accustomed to quarter and third acre lots I guess.

In my particular situation, there is plenty of plant life without the urban farming. Not super high-density in my area. I am in what used to be a village that was annexed by the city in a land grab intended to suck up a factory that is the largest employer on the far side of us. We were just caught in the crossfire. My little corner of the universe is not super high density like it is on the other side of the city. Acre lots, give or take, are pretty common. Shockingly a lot of people aren't interested in moving into my neighborhood and surrounds because they think the yards are too big and require too much work to maintain. People have become too accustomed to quarter and third acre lots I guess.

Isn't that weird? People don't spend much time outside anymore, either. We moved from a suburb of St. Louis that has a population density of 3,300 ppl/sq mile to a place with 3.2 ppl/sq mile. We have neighbors but we can't see each other's homes. We're the lower-acreage ppl; most have 40 acres and up; we have 10. Most of the surrounding land is owned by logging companies who only come in every few decades to harvest. In the summer I wander for hours through the woods foraging for shrooms and other edibles. In the winter we snowshoe on game trails and old and overgrown logging roads. There is something so good for the soul to be out under the skies, the only human sound your own breathing. Our neighbors are deer, bear, moose, wolf, coyote, raven, lynx, porcupine, eagle. As we say here, mino bimaadiziwin... living the good life.

Isn't that weird? People don't spend much time outside anymore, either. We moved from a suburb of St. Louis that has a population density of 3,300 ppl/sq mile to a place with 3.2 ppl/sq mile. We have neighbors but we can't see each other's homes. We're the lower-acreage ppl; most have 40 acres and up; we have 10. Most of the surrounding land is owned by logging companies who only come in every few decades to harvest. In the summer I wander for hours through the woods foraging for shrooms and other edibles. In the winter we snowshoe on game trails and old and overgrown logging roads. There is something so good for the soul to be out under the skies, the only human sound your own breathing. Our neighbors are deer, bear, moose, wolf, coyote, raven, lynx, porcupine, eagle. As we say here, mino bimaadiziwin... living the good life.

People are getting weirder and weirder to me about a great many things. A lot of people treat purchases like rentals anyway. They want the perfect house, will do no upkeep or maintenance on it, and when the repairs add up, they will just move onto the next house and abandon the one that was perfect 8-10 years ago. They won't put a dime into their house other than their monthly payments. Don't get me wrong, I make money/grab equity off such idiotic thinkers, but it still perplexes me. Bought one REO house where the woman got her new house before letting that one go into foreclosure and there wasn't anything wrong with the house that couldn't be fixed with a call to Roto-Rooter and a roofer. $6K out of pocket for repairs and I stepped into almost $60K in equity she just gave up. The back yard was a swampy jungle but I took care of that part myself over a few weekends.

I figured that was something you'd like. I love me some French Onion soup, so adding the flavor to pork sounds good. Which reminds me about this. Here's some legendary French onion soup. http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/authentic-french-onion-soup-courtesy-of-julia-child-356428

I make wonderful French onion soup..

5 large Vidalia onions sliced thin.

Sweat them in butter for 5 minutes .. then dump them in the pressure cooker with 2 cans Consume soup and 2 cans of water. Pressure cook for 15 minutes.

Add 1/4 cup good Sherry and pour into oven proof soup bowls.

Cover with a large French bread crouton and 3 slices each bowl of good Swiss cheese.

Run the bowls under the broiler..

I promise you will LOVE it.

I make wonderful French onion soup..
5 large Vidalia onions sliced thin.
Sweat them in butter for 5 minutes .. then dump them in the pressure cooker with 2 cans Consume soup and 2 cans of water. Pressure cook for 15 minutes.
Add 1/4 cup good Sherry and pour into oven proof soup bowls.
Cover with a large French bread crouton and 3 slices each bowl of good Swiss cheese.
Run the bowls under the broiler..
I promise you will LOVE it.

Now I don't feel like salmon for supper. lol

Byelorussian Draniki

My friend Svetlana made me Byelorussian draniki for lunch, and I found this recipe on the interwebs........

Byelorussian 'Draniki'

Ingredients:
4 large potatoes, peeled and immersed in cold water
2 cloves garlic, pressed
3/4 cup flour
1 egg, slightly beaten
vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
smetana or sour cream (for garnish) -

Method:
Place a large mesh sieve over a bowl and line it with a moist paper towel. Quickly shred 2 potatoes and grate 2 remaining potatoes (in that order) and deposit in the sieve. Cover with film and let stand 5-7 minutes, shaking from time to time (to drain juice). Discard the collected potato juice and transfer potatoes to a bowl. Add egg and flour and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Warm vegetable oil in a skillet. Spoon batter, 1 tbsp per dranik, generously spaced and fry on both sides at medium heat until golden-brown. Serve with smetana or sour cream.
HDx7lXi.jpg

My friend Svetlana made me Byelorussian draniki for lunch, and I found this recipe on the interwebs........

Byelorussian 'Draniki'

Ingredients:
4 large potatoes, peeled and immersed in cold water
2 cloves garlic, pressed
3/4 cup flour
1 egg, slightly beaten
vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
smetana or sour cream (for garnish) -

Method:
Place a large mesh sieve over a bowl and line it with a moist paper towel. Quickly shred 2 potatoes and grate 2 remaining potatoes (in that order) and deposit in the sieve. Cover with film and let stand 5-7 minutes, shaking from time to time (to drain juice). Discard the collected potato juice and transfer potatoes to a bowl. Add egg and flour and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Warm vegetable oil in a skillet. Spoon batter, 1 tbsp per dranik, generously spaced and fry on both sides at medium heat until golden-brown. Serve with smetana or sour cream.
HDx7lXi.jpg

Oh yum.... potato pancakes! (Latkes, Kartoffelkuchen)

I wondered how this thread lasted so long until I read the ban list.

Jade done good. As he pointed out, Yurt did try to derail it some months ago but a timely thread-ban took care of that problem. Not allowing Toxic and her stable of geldings to derail it has also made it a pleasant and on-topic place of respite.

Jade done good. As he pointed out, Yurt did try to derail it some months ago but a timely thread-ban took care of that problem. Not allowing Toxic and her stable of geldings to derail it has also made it a pleasant and on-topic place of respite.

Cheerio.
There is really only about 15 to 20 people here even worth reading and responding to. People who are intelligent, informed, or just entertaining (intentionally or not).
There are a surprising number of racists, dunces, girlish gossipers, liars, lackluster losers, and flaccid fopdoodles here. Thread banning them and ignoring them is probably a service to humanity, when you really think about it.

Hey Jade, remember when you mentioned those terrifying hot peppers, Trinidad something? You posted a link to the seeds on Ebay back in December; I ordered some. Got them started in the peat pots, waiting to go out in the hoop house. Gonna be some burning this summer. lol

Back