Jade's Recipe Exchange.

I'm planning a meal, and celebration with the neighbors. It was for Christmas, but they had something else come up. I already decided on my food. Fresh made roast beef, Chicken paprikash, with egg noodles, mac n cheese, fruit compote, salad with mixed greens, and fixings, beer, and wine from vacation, and dessert to be determined.

How did everything turn out?

Finally got my dinner for the neighbors made. Changed it a little bit. Had Chicken Paprikash, and a fresh made roast beef. A salad full of kale, parsley, buttercrunch, and romaine lettuces, goat cheese crumbles, and variety pack of different cherry style tomatoes, with pesto vinaigrette. Also had a selection of cheeses I bought, with crackers. :Boschetto al Tartufo, Cashel blue cheese, Emmental, and a blueberry vanilla, goat cheese. Had sparkling raspberry spumante, and tried a few beers. The neighbors bought an Oreo cheesecake, from Grand Traverse Pie Company, for dessert.

Finally got my dinner for the neighbors made. Changed it a little bit. Had Chicken Paprikash, and a fresh made roast beef. A salad full of kale, parsley, buttercrunch, and romaine lettuces, goat cheese crumbles, and variety pack of different cherry style tomatoes, with pesto vinaigrette. Also had a selection of cheeses I bought, with crackers. :Boschetto al Tartufo, Cashel blue cheese, Emmental, and a blueberry vanilla, goat cheese. Had sparkling raspberry spumante, and tried a few beers. The neighbors bought an Oreo cheesecake, from Grand Traverse Pie Company, for dessert.

Sounds amazing, Jade! Wish we were neighbors.

Possibly, but I won't know til the time comes.

I was less than impressed with the various nursery offerings last year, so this year I'm starting the peppers and tomatoes and cabbage from seed. We left the hoophouse cover on this winter so it'll be warmed up and ready to go in April. Last winter we took it off for fear of the wind tearing it away. Last fall we weighed it down with cinder blocks, and piled snow around the edges so the wind can't get up under there.

I was less than impressed with the various nursery offerings last year, so this year I'm starting the peppers and tomatoes and cabbage from seed. We left the hoophouse cover on this winter so it'll be warmed up and ready to go in April. Last winter we took it off for fear of the wind tearing it away. Last fall we weighed it down with cinder blocks, and piled snow around the edges so the wind can't get up under there.

I normally start plants in the aerogrow, and transplant. Some don't work well with transplant since they don't like their roots disturbed. Tomatoes do great though. Just loosely wrap some news paper around the stem, into the very top of the dirt to ward off cut worms, and bury maybe a quarter of the stem. Root will grow out of the stem, making for extra hearty root system.

Just got 48 honeybelle oranges in the delivery today. Time to make some marmalade. I have never made marmalade, but gonna find out how now as we can never go through the whole box before they start to go south. yum yum. If you have never had a honeybelle, you have never had a good orange.

Just thought I'd leave a tip for baking, if you want less fat, but still want decadent. Instead of oil, I've gotten in the habit of using the coffee creamers in the refrigerated section. So In brownies, or cakes, basically, but it doesn't work with everything. I was using the southern pecan flavored one. Now for the best result you just use half oil, and half creamer. You can replace it altogether though. Just had some brownies, and boy were they fudgy.

Just thought I'd leave a tip for baking, if you want less fat, but still want decadent. Instead of oil, I've gotten in the habit of using the coffee creamers in the refrigerated section. So In brownies, or cakes, basically, but it doesn't work with everything. I was using the southern pecan flavored one. Now for the best result you just use half oil, and half creamer. You can replace it altogether though. Just had some brownies, and boy were they fudgy.

Good tip... thanks! When I make home-made bread I usually substitute olive oil for vegetable oil; it acts as a preservative so your bread doesn't develop mold as quickly, assuming you don't eat the whole loaf within a day or two.

Just got 48 honeybelle oranges in the delivery today. Time to make some marmalade. I have never made marmalade, but gonna find out how now as we can never go through the whole box before they start to go south. yum yum. If you have never had a honeybelle, you have never had a good orange.

Hi! How did it turn out?

Good tip... thanks! When I make home-made bread I usually substitute olive oil for vegetable oil; it acts as a preservative so your bread doesn't develop mold as quickly, assuming you don't eat the whole loaf within a day or two.

Made some homemade parmesan peppercorn bread today. I cheat, using my Cuisanart breadmaker. It sure makes great toast!

Also been using my Instant Pot a lot lately. A couple of days ago, New Orleans red beans and rice. Yesterday, orange chicken. So easy!

Back