Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Especially French onion soup.

That reminds me of something horrible my husband said earlier. I was putting a packet of dry French onion soup mix into the cooking pot, and pondered out loud: "I wonder why they call it French onion soup mix? What makes it French?" He said: "Maybe the onions don't shave their legs."

That reminds me of something horrible my husband said earlier. I was putting a packet of dry French onion soup mix into the cooking pot, and pondered out loud: "I wonder why they call it French onion soup mix? What makes it French?" He said: "Maybe the onions don't shave their legs."

LOL! That's too funny! :laugh:

Got a huge pot of beef stock being made. My sister gave us a whole bone section from prime rib, and I bought a femur bone. I roasted those in the oven, from frozen. Cut up 1 x-large carrot, 2 sweet potatoes, 3 cubanelle peppers, 1 large Spanish onion, 1 full bulb of garlic, I walloped on, a handful of dried sage, pink peppercorns, and rosemary. Put it in a 12 quart soup pot, and will cook it low for maybe 48 hours at the max.

Yum! That sounds so good! I love making soup stock.

Update on stock: The prime rib bones didn't have enough marrow, and it lacked beefy flavor. A little over half way through, I removed them, and added more femur bones, and some pieces of bottom round. Now to cook a good while longer. When I'm done I have some leeks, a large red onion, white onion, and Spanish onion, for some French onion soup. Don't forget the booze, in the form of some red wine, brandy, or dark ale, depending on the stock flavor.

Sushki

This morning, I am having sushki and coffee. I am too lazy to make sushki myself, but I might give this recipe a go when I am motivated.

Sushki recipe

Sushki are traditional Eastern European small, crunchy, mildly sweet bread rings eaten for dessert, usually with tea or coffee. They are small, ring shaped, dry and slightly sweet. They look like tiny little bagels. They are often sold tied on a string. Typically, sushki are made with water, egg, flour and salt, but this recipe uses condensed milk, which gives them a sweeter, more cookie-like taste.
http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/recipes/russianrecipes/sushki/
vXDVDJa.jpg

Stock is a flop. After trying to add more beefy flavor, after the other bones didn't cut it, it cooked too long overall. Should have just called this a veggie broth, and started from scratch. It's now way to bitter to use, from overcooking.

This is a big ass plate of poutine I had last time I was in Quebec Province. This one came with smoked meat. It looks pretty disgusting, but I fully admit I am mad for poutine! As far as I can tell, basic poutine is just french fries, cheese curds, and gravy. The gravy might be a secret recipe, so I would suggest looking up a poutine recipe to get the gravy right.
d9cVoW1.jpg

This is a big ass plate of poutine I had last time I was in Quebec Province. This one came with smoked meat. It looks pretty disgusting, but I fully admit I am mad for poutine! As far as I can tell, basic poutine is just french fries, cheese curds, and gravy. The gravy might be a secret recipe, so I would suggest looking up a poutine recipe to get the gravy right.
d9cVoW1.jpg

It's basically just a brown gravy. I had one smothered in pulled pork, and the usual accompaniments, At The Bears Den, in Golden, BC. http://thebearsdengolden.ca/

Every time I post this, I get hangry.
attachment.php

Stock is a flop. After trying to add more beefy flavor, after the other bones didn't cut it, it cooked too long overall. Should have just called this a veggie broth, and started from scratch. It's now way to bitter to use, from overcooking.

Oh that's so sad. I did wonder why you wanted such a long simmer time, but figured you knew what was up. I make an amazing smoked chicken stock. Starts of course with smoking a whole chicken but not to preserve it, just to get the smoke flavor in. Then finish it in the oven. The next day I render the skin, bones, tendons, fat, and some chicken base/onions/carrots/celery, and bits of meat by simmering for a few hours.

d9cVoW1.jpg

It looks and sounds disgusting! Hats off to you for finding it tasty. lol

Oh that's so sad. I did wonder why you wanted such a long simmer time, but figured you knew what was up. I make an amazing smoked chicken stock. Starts of course with smoking a whole chicken but not to preserve it, just to get the smoke flavor in. Then finish it in the oven. The next day I render the skin, bones, tendons, fat, and some chicken base/onions/carrots/celery, and bits of meat by simmering for a few hours.

I never made it, and was going on what I know of stock. I also didn't see anything about it turning bitter on recipes. The prime rib bones were a bust, and I just thought I could sneak some time in with some fresh bones, since it was only in maybe 16 hours. It went too long though, especially since I fell asleep for several hours. I knew I didn't want to cook it too long, but didn't realize it would go south like that. I thought the rib bones would have worked, because they were still rather meaty, and had a bit of exposed marrow. That, and one femur section, just didn't cut it. I'll know for next time.

I never made it, and was going on what I know of stock. I also didn't see anything about it turning bitter on recipes. The prime rib bones were a bust, and I just thought I could sneak some time in with some fresh bones, since it was only in maybe 16 hours. It went too long though, especially since I fell asleep for several hours. I knew I didn't want to cook it too long, but didn't realize it would go south like that. I thought the rib bones would have worked, because they were still rather meaty, and had a bit of exposed marrow. That, and one femur section, just didn't cut it. I'll know for next time.

Live and learn.

I just love your mom's expression in that photo. "Would you just sit down and EAT already?" :~)

Na, she was the one that wanted the picture. We started eating, and forgot to photograph it, so she was probably anxious to get the picture, and chow down. Of course it could be the horseradish too. Some of the freshest, most potent stuff I've tried. One dab was enough for the Yorkshire pudding mini's.

Na, she was the one that wanted the picture. We started eating, and forgot to photograph it, so she was probably anxious to get the picture, and chow down. Of course it could be the horseradish too. Some of the freshest, most potent stuff I've tried. One dab was enough for the Yorkshire pudding mini's.

I love horseradish on good beef or pork roast

Back