JPP Cup Debate Championship Field Is Set

No... the assignment should be random.

The judges have 8 topics. They randomly draw the topics for the 8 match ups. Then they flip a coin to see who takes which side of the argument. No trying to make it 'fair' by adjusting for perceived 'strengths and weaknesses'.

Side note... I bet Water does well with the debates. When he actually focuses on anything other than being an emo spaz, he does quite well.

As for topics....

I would add:

Flat tax vs. current tax system
Abortion
Keynesian economic theory
Human cloning
Should fast food/junk food be regulated to help lower obesity rates
Should we just go ahead and anoint Obama as the second coming?
School vouchers
legalization of drugs

Good idea though your list has a few to many economic issues. Maybe one of those.

Flat tax vs. current tax system

Flat tax vs. current tax system is a stacked deck. It should be flat tax vs. progressive tax. We shouldn't be forced to pit a vague concept that the arguer could modify to make more pleasing against one that's set in stone.

Human cloning

This is actually a very good one. Most people intuitively reject human cloning but can't come up with a serious argument for how it's different than, say twins.

School vouchers
legalization of drugs

Both good ones.

My doctor actually just perscribed me Vyvanze for ADD. :-/

I'm not wasting it until school starts, but I took some today to what it does, and it seems to help. I guess I won't know if it'll help my grades until school starts.
Do your self a favor WM. Toss the shit in the toilet and flush it.

Well most of us are....except SM....he seems to be only able to talk about watermelon and pussy. The problem with that though is half the time it's not even watermelon season.
Mott, light hearted topics focus on the ability of the debater to think outside the box and make convincing arguments.

That seems a strange view of medications.

Is it this particular med or just all of those used to treat ADD?
ADD meds. I have a pretty conservative view about meds and we definately live in an over prescribed society. But in the case of ADD medications I think it's often a case of treating the symptom and not the problem. I also think that it's often the case that the risks outweigh the benefits. In any case, I'm not trying to play doctor here but one should be informed about the consequences of taking ADD drugs over the long term as these are potent medications and can have significant long term consequences.

In my particular case, as a youth our school suggested ADD drugs for me due to hyperactivity and poor attention span. Turns out the hyperactivity in my case was diet related so rejecting the risk of these drugs turned out to be justified in my case. It turns out the poor attention span was just plain boredom and that I'm a bit of a mental sprinter. I work intensely on a subject, tire, need to rest and then come back and work some more. Some people are just built this way.

Anyone who is going to take these drugs should be aware of the consequences and should research the data in a PDR about the consequences of using these drugs and armed with this information should ask lots of questions of their physician before they consent to take them.

If you are taking these or any meds for any period of time, never stop suddenly using them with out consulting your physician first.

ADD meds. I have a pretty conservative view about meds and we definately live in an over prescribed society. But in the case of ADD medications I think it's often a case of treating the symptom and not the problem. I also think that it's often the case that the risks outweigh the benefits. In any case, I'm not trying to play doctor here but one should be informed about the consequences of taking ADD drugs over the long term as these are potent medications and can have significant long term consequences.

In my particular case, as a youth our school suggested ADD drugs for me due to hyperactivity and poor attention span. Turns out the hyperactivity in my case was diet related so rejecting the risk of these drugs turned out to be justified in my case. It turns out the poor attention span was just plain boredom and that I'm a bit of a mental sprinter. I work intensely on a subject, tire, need to rest and then come back and work some more. Some people are just built this way.

Anyone who is going to take these drugs should be aware of the consequences and should research the data in a PDR about the consequences of using these drugs and armed with this information should ask lots of questions of their physician before they consent to take them.

If you are taking these or any meds for any period of time, never stop suddenly using them with out consulting your physician first.

Attention Deficit Disorder seems to be one of those extremist things. People seem to either want far too many kids on meds or no one on meds.

ADD is a very real problem for some people. Without the meds they will have problems in modern society.

But I will echo part of your message: "If you are taking these or any meds for any period of time, never stop suddenly using them with out consulting your physician first."

Attention Deficit Disorder seems to be one of those extremist things. People seem to either want far too many kids on meds or no one on meds.

ADD is a very real problem for some people. Without the meds they will have problems in modern society.

But I will echo part of your message: "If you are taking these or any meds for any period of time, never stop suddenly using them with out consulting your physician first."
We should probably create a new thread for this but my concern about ADD meds is it really treating a problem or do they treat the signs/symptoms of underlying probles?

In my case, as a youth, ADD drugs were definately treating the signs/symptoms of other problems. My physician at the time (and later when my father became one) practiced the holistic approach and their approach to managing ADD and Hyperactivity was that it was a sign of imbalanced nutrition and lack of exercise. I was started on a program of 30 min to 1 hour of structured exercise a day and my diet was changed to decrease sugar consumption and processed foods (i.e. junk foods). Fruits and vegetables were increased (which I fought) as part of my diet and my father bought me a bike and started taking me to the track with him to run. In a surprizingly short period of time once these underlying problems were addressed the hyperactivity and ADD were under control (the structured exercise really helped).

I can use another example of where meds tend to be over prescribed to treat signs/symptoms of problems instead of treating the problem. I went for a physical about a year ago. My blood pressure was 150/90 and my cholesterol was at 220 ug/dl. The MD perscribed me blood pressure meds and statins to reduce my blood pressure and cholesterol. I had neither perscription filled. Why? Cause I didn't think the blood pressure or the high cholesterol were the problem but signs of other problems. What I did do was I talked with my employer about the stress at work, came to some agreements there. I stopped eating out so much, improved my diet by increasing fiber, fruits and vegies and reducing meats, fats, starches and processed foods. I started exercising regularly again (riding my bike and swimming). I've done that consistenly for a year and now my BP is 125/70 and my cholesterol is at 180. In my particular case I think I made the correct decision in avoiding the meds and treating the actual problems causing my high BP and cholesterol.

Back