Just bought a new truck... Ram 1500 Larimie..

Yep, my fancy new Silverado has a 6'-6" bed, and it SUCKS. It's nice to ride in though. :D
I don't know what I'm going to do. There are times when I have 12' countertops hanging out of the back of the bed...10' with the gate down. If I'm forced to have a short bed, I'll be using the trailer more and more. Each year it gets more and more ridiculous.

Just because I'd want him to haul something, doesn't mean I have to ride along. I could ask him to haul out my trash, right?
But to answer your question, he's never done me wrong, so yeah, I probably would.
Just don't touch his Cheetos and you should be ok.

Nothing says you will never, ever, ever, ever in your entire life become even remotely close to being cool like owning a Pick Up Truck. LOL Pick up trucks are for people who don't give a shit about being cool.

yeah, but at least we look cool while not giving a shit about being cool.......

2006 Ford Focus station wagon, purchased new. I'm cheap when it comes to cars.
My son was going to get $500 for his rear wheel drive '03 Kia Sorrento as a trade-in so I bought it from him for $600 which is what I drive in the summer. Like I said I'm cheap.
I've only paid cash for cars since about 1995. It's a reality check.

my rule of thumb is that I am content if I pay no more than $2000 a year for buying/fixing a vehicle.......I bought my 2001 for $10k......I've spent around $6k since then.....I owe IT money.....

Lol, yep. My old Silverado had the extra cab AND the 8 foot bed. It was like a hunnert feet long. I miss that truck though. You can't even get that configuration in the 1500 anymore.

I know, I've looked. I'm glad your accident didn't turn out worse. Thank the gods for American steel, eh?

Nothing says you will never, ever, ever, ever in your entire life become even remotely close to being cool like owning a Pick Up Truck. LOL Pick up trucks are for people who don't give a shit about being cool.

I've owned dozen of vehicles over the years and exactly one pick-up truck. In the late 80's, in order to save my nice car from Upstate NY winter driving, I bought a '69 F100 for $100 of a broken down drunk carpenter. We had to tow it out of his backyard, up to its axles in mud and the bed half-filled with trash. I rebuilt the brakes, filled the remainder of the 8' box with liquor bottles and trash from the passenger compartment, rebuild the carburetor, new plugs, wires and points, it started right up, then hauled all that shit to the dump, it's maiden voyage. At the dump I discovered slabs of granite from an office building toilet stall and those became my ballast. There was no metal left on the bottom of the bed but the sides were solid. I made a new bottom from treated 2x6's.

The fenders had moss growing out of the rust holes. It had a big block 360 engine and would go like hell. It was a rat rod before that phrase became popularized.

my rule of thumb is that I am content if I pay no more than $2000 a year for buying/fixing a vehicle.......I bought my 2001 for $10k......I've spent around $6k since then.....I owe IT money.....

That sounds like a good plan that I've never thought of. Of course that $2000/yr. will go up with inflation. I'll have to figure out what I've spent since buying that Focus.
I've always used the "drive it into the junkyard" plan. Probably not the cheapest for a cheapskate like me.
I've financed one car in my life and resold one (the same one).

The misses and I don’t drive high mileage. About 10,000 miles combined. It’s hard to justify spending a lot on a car. Nor am I a tradesman, farmer or DYI guru nor do I have a large family so I don’t really need a utilitarian vehicle.

So what has really worked out well for me is to purchase a used hatch back with low mileage and a high reliability rating. Pay for it with cash and trade in. You can often find good quality cars with around 25,000 miles for $10-$15k. You then drive till you reach the point where the cost to own exceeds the cars trade in value. Usually around 6 to 8 years. Then trade it in on another.

The misses and I don’t drive high mileage. About 10,000 miles combined. It’s hard to justify spending a lot on a car. Nor am I a tradesman, farmer or DYI guru nor do I have a large family so I don’t really need a utilitarian vehicle.

So what has really worked out well for me is to purchase a used hatch back with low mileage and a high reliability rating. Pay for it with cash and trade in. You can often find good quality cars with around 25,000 miles for $10-$15k. You then drive till you reach the point where the cost to own exceeds the cars trade in value. Usually around 6 to 8 years. Then trade it in on another.

same, except I usually buy in the target range of 50,000 miles and sell around 125,000 miles......

I still drive my 2005 F350. Only 122,000 miles and going strong. The body is in excellent condition, it runs like a champ, although I recently had to replace one of the cowhide seat bottoms.

I traded in a 2011 F150, it had 210,000 miles on it.

Yea...I need the 8' box. Gotta have the regular cab. These car companies really discriminate against those of us who used to keep them in business with work trucks. Now they don't care if we need a truck. Plenty of soccer moms buying trucks that they don't need.

You can get the Super Crew cab with an 8' box or you can get extenders for the 5-7 box that adds the tailgate to your hauling capacity. An 8' box with the crew cab tends to make your vehicle hard to park though.

Been looking at the Laramie package too. Wanted it in the ecodiesel. But epa has put the cabosh on any new ones being made- can't find one used with the Laramie.

Should be a good one. My Dodge Ram turns 21 this year. The old ‘97 half ton 4WD was the fanciest vehicle I had owned up until then. That was a Tahoe and a Yukon ago. Still have all three. Since getting the Yukon the Tahoe is now my fancy hunting/fishing vehicle. I use it to pull my camper and boat long distances. Drove a couple hundred miles to set up deer camp near Kansas this year. My boy and I had a blast, I killed a big doe and memories were made. Hope she treats you well, Damo. Nice truck.

oa4zn7.jpg

Back