JustPlainPolitics Stock Market Game

which turned out to be a good thing....

Well... at least I am not in last... that would really SUCK...:cool:

Ehh, it ain't that bad. I've got a risky stock as 25% of my portfolio. It can go up and down 50% in a day, just have to sell when I see it go up. I did get hit on GTLS again today, which is volatile for basically no reason. Hell, a horrible dollar benefits GTLS because most sales are international. 3rd Quarter earnings will show its a better company than they think. I'll be #1 quicker than you think ;)

LOL, you own all Solar! That's not diversified. If that sector takes a hit you are screwed :)

Haha I put in a lot of other orders but for some reason they didn't go through.

And don't be sour groups just because WaMu and GTLS are losing you a fortune.

Last edited:
Haha I put in a lot of other orders but for some reason they didn't go through.

And don't be sour groups just because WaMu and GTLS are losing you a fortune.

lol.. they'll make it back. I'm not worried about that. I just rushed into buying them on Friday because of the potential Bailout and the small chance WM got bought last weekend. WaMu at $4.00 will still make me a profit from where I see it going in the next week. GTLS is a long term stock though, it's just taken a hit but it'll bounce back. If I waited to buy, I'd be kicking all your asses royally! lol

lol.. they'll make it back. I'm not worried about that. I just rushed into buying them on Friday because of the potential Bailout and the small chance WM got bought last weekend. WaMu at $4.00 will still make me a profit from where I see it going in the next week. GTLS is a long term stock though, it's just taken a hit but it'll bounce back. If I waited to buy, I'd be kicking all your asses royally! lol

I put most of mine in some of the funds I have in real life. VFINX, VGENX, and VEIEX. Vanguard index funds. But they didn't go through today.

Is it like in real life where Vanguard takes a couple of business days to process it? Cause that sucks.

I put most of mine in some of the funds I have in real life. VFINX, VGENX, and VEIEX. Vanguard index funds. But they didn't go through today.

Is it like in real life where Vanguard takes a couple of business days to process it? Cause that sucks.

I beleive so. This game functions much like Real-life stock trading, except the order doesn't go through immediatly. It's about 15 minutes since it is reading prices off of delayed quotes. So basically your order is processed at whatever the price is real-time. Your Index funds though, I would assume they just take a few days.

This is probably a stupid question, but when I put in an order with Vanguard to invest in VFINX do I buy it at the price it was when I ordered it or the price it is when Vanguard processes it?

This is probably a stupid question, but when I put in an order with Vanguard to invest in VFINX do I buy it at the price it was when I ordered it or the price it is when Vanguard processes it?

There are no stupid questions, only people too stupid to ask a question when they don't know something, little epi.

According to the "rules" your stuff should go through 20 minutes after you enter them or when trading opens depending on when it is closed.

you get the closing price for that day. In real life anyway.

The day I buy it or the day it shows up as processed on my account?

This has always been something of a mystery to me. I assume you get the price it was when you placed the order to buy or sell, but I don't know.

Dammit Dave. This is the last time I try to copy your strategy.

Your freaking WaMu has dropped me to third!

LOL... one word... Bailout!

It's my risky stock, coupled with 3 good players (MSFT, URBN, ESLR) and a long term (GTLS). You choose to pick my riskiest stock, but it will pay off if you are patient. You can't get emotional or you'll lose.

Not only that but you bought it much cheaper than I did. I'm averaging down on it, and may have to put 50% of my portfolio in it just to get the price you got it at. You will end up a bigger winner when the bailout happens.

If I'd known it would go even lower I would have waited.

I've been cherrypicking stocks from different people's portfolios. Went with Apple and Chevron from Top, WaMu from you. Everyone seems to own Urban Outfitters too.

If I'd known it would go even lower I would have waited.

I've been cherrypicking stocks from different people's portfolios. Went with Apple and Chevron from Top, WaMu from you. Everyone seems to own Urban Outfitters too.

Yeah, but I was the first on that! lol

URBN's just a good company, and they are still trendy. But WaMu is moving no less than 20% day to day. It could be up or down, but with the bailout on the horizon, WaMu is going to get a huge bump.

So far WaMu has lost me $42,200. Which really isn't that much compared to the $91,500 you've lost on it.

What's GTLS?

Back