life on other planets

Speaking of life on other planets...

Ever been to a college campus...?

Japan. Definitely Japan.

:laugh:

As for real aliens...

First, we're a tiny needle in a very big haystack, as are they. For example, we have beamed radio signals into space for only about 75 years now. We don't know what window of time that radio signals would even be used by a technological civilization. What if, for example, radio usage lasted just 300 years (give or take)? After that something else comes along to replace it.
That means for any civilization that develops radio and continues to develop technology there is a window if just a few centuries where we could intercept their transmissions before they went "dark" again with technology we haven't discovered yet.
Then there's the simple dissimilar issue to deal with. If an advanced alien lifeform were dissimilar enough it might take an interest in us but not sufficiently to make itself known.

As for UFO's, there are definitely some cases where it was undoubtedly a UFO. Most can be explained away, but that small portion that cannot...

Agreed, but that's us detecting them, not them detecting us since they'd know about the evolution of communications.

UFOs are unidentified flying objects. Yes, there are lots of them. I've never seen one that can't be explained by human tech...usually military.

Agreed, but that's us detecting them, not them detecting us since they'd know about the evolution of communications.

UFOs are unidentified flying objects. Yes, there are lots of them. I've never seen one that can't be explained by human tech...usually military.

I've seen this up close. Someone told me it probably was a dirigible. That could make sense seeing that it just hovers slowly and silently.

N2UHxHa.jpg

I've seen this up close. Someone told me it probably was a dirigible. That could make sense seeing that it just hovers slowly and silently.

N2UHxHa.jpg

Is it bigger than a kid's kite with LED lights? A dirigible would be bigger than the Goodyear blimp.

It was in the 80's in WV. It was as big as a normal sized house.

More like a balloon with lights. Size is hard to judge unless there's something to compare it against. Look at the Moon as it's rising and then when it's well up in the sky. It didn't shrink. There's just nothing to compare it against.

More like a balloon with lights. Size is hard to judge unless there's something to compare it against. Look at the Moon as it's rising and then when it's well up in the sky. It didn't shrink. There's just nothing to compare it against.

Well it looked like it was about 100 to 200 feet up there. There were hills and trees to compare it against, being in WV and all. ;)

People have witnessed the same in different states.

Well, in that case they could just be totally incompetent... And we could be too...

If such tech had existed 30 years ago, we'd be seeing it in civilian equipment. Notice the video doesn't give perspective for size or distance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(UFO)#TR-3A_Black_Manta

This is a ducted-fan "flying saucer". https://newatlas.com/adifo-flying-saucer-romanian/58999/

Whether it can do as claimed except fly around like an R/C aircraft remains to be seen.

If such tech had existed 30 years ago, we'd be seeing it in civilian equipment. Notice the video doesn't give perspective for size or distance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(UFO)#TR-3A_Black_Manta

This is a ducted-fan "flying saucer". https://newatlas.com/adifo-flying-saucer-romanian/58999/

Whether it can do as claimed except fly around like an R/C aircraft remains to be seen.

I hope we'll find out what they really are. Me, at least because I've always been puzzled since then.

Well, in that case they could just be totally incompetent... And we could be too...

It's unlikely the equivalent of Boudreaux and Thibodeaux could navigate a starship to Earth just to give hillbillies anal probes. :)

Boudreaux and Thibodeaux were walking through the woods the other day, when a flying saucer landed near them. A door opened, and two little green aliens climbed down out of the spacecraft. Thibodeaux asks Boudreaux, "Mais, look at dat. What you tink dat is ?" Boudreaux, aiming his shotgun at the little space critters, tells him, "Thibodeaux, I don't know, but you hurry back to de camp, and start making a roux and put on a pot of rice !" We gonna have alien sauce piquant.

It being out of Star Trek is not likely. Were there slow moving and silent military aircraft/drones in the 80's?

Yes. There was a lot of flight testing going on. Whatever they are working on now will become common in 20-30 years.

The interesting thing that we had many neighbors. They were probably asleep but I would think they'd hear it. ;)

It depends. Remember the stealth helicopter that crashed attacking Osama bin Laden? I'd heard about it but had never seen anything until it ended up on the news. I have no idea what it would sound like. Whoooosh?

It depends. Remember the stealth helicopter that crashed attacking Osama bin Laden? I'd heard about it but had never seen anything until it ended up on the news. I have no idea what it would sound like. Whoooosh?

Never heard of a silent helicopter. Typically they'd be noisy going whoooop whoop or something like that. LOL.

Never heard of a silent helicopter. Typically they'd be noisy going whoooop whoop or something like that. LOL.

There's the famous Huey blade-slap wop-wop-wop, but the tail rotors spin at five times the rate of the main rotor and generate a lot of high frequency noise.

Slowlying the tail rotor down means a loss of thrust. Making bigger blades rotating at a slower rate helps but that would end up costing top end flight speed. That's all I know about it, just a user, not an engineer.

Like cars, aircraft are tradeoffs. There's no perfect pick up truck/mom van/race car. There are design trade offs made depending upon the mission.

Back