LITERAL Hellfire Torment—Not A Bible Teaching

ZenMode:

Since it's stated like that in the Bible, of course I believe it.

Psalm 37:10

Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there.

Psalm 37:11

But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
Ok. What part of what I said do you disagree with? In order to decide who's saved and who's not, there has to be judging, doesn't there?

The teaching of literal hellfire torment is commonplace in Christendom and non-Christian religions. This teaching defames the Creator and portrays him as a sadist who tortures people in literal flames of fire for all eternity—as punishment for wrongdoings committed during the relatively brief human lifespan.

Hellfire believers insist that the wicked will literally experience pain while burning in literal flames of fire—after they have died. So that brings us to the questions below.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

Are there are scriptures in the Judeo-Christian Bible to support the teaching of literal hellfire torment? If you believe that to be the case, please quote up to three (3) scriptures and include Bible book, chapter, and verse, along with a brief explanation for why you believe the verses are talking literal hellfire torment.

2. According to those who believe in literal hellfire torment, only wicked people will wind up in hell. Is that what you believe?

3. Does the Bible teach that humans have an immortal soul that survives the death of the person so that the soul can then be burned in eternal flames? If so, please present scriptures to that effect to prove it (no more than 3 scriptures at a time, please). Follow the steps indicated at Question #1.

4. When people are being tortured in hellfire, wouldn't they have to KNOW or be conscious/aware of the fact that they are being burned? I mean to say, what's the point of punishing people in a burning hellfire if they aren't even aware?

5. Those who believe in literal eternal torment say that the person's soul is being burned forever. What is the soul? Are animals souls also, or does the term "soul" apply only to humans?
There is a "lake of fire" though it is reserved for those who get the "Mark of the Beast" during the tribulations in Revelations. The main issue is the Book of Enoch was removed from the canon for some reason that I find slightly confusing considering Jesus referenced the book in the New Testament. The Book of Enoch had a good description of Hell, and it was not all brimstone and fire.

Yes a parable, an analogy if you will. Do you understand what an analogy is and what it is intended to represent?
Yakuda:

A parable is a fictitious story; therefore, it is not the same as an analogy despite the fact they are synonyms.

Definition of Parable:
"A parable (pronounced PAIR-uh-bull) is a short story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson. It comes from a Greek word meaning "comparison."

Definition of Analogy:
a comparison between things that have similar features, often used to help explain a principle or idea:

The story of the Rich Man and Lazarus at Luke 16:19-31 is a parable because the main characters within the story, namely: the "Rich Man" and "Lazarus," were fictitious people. They never existed. If you take note, you will see that the "Rich Man" remains nameless throughout the tale, and the "Lazarus" within this story is a beggar, unlike the real Lazarus of Bethany who was the brother of Martha and Mary, whom Jesus had resurrected after he had been dead for several days.

Last edited:
There is a "lake of fire" though it is reserved for those who get the "Mark of the Beast" during the tribulations in Revelations. The main issue is the Book of Enoch was removed from the canon for some reason that I find slightly confusing considering Jesus referenced the book in the New Testament. The Book of Enoch had a good description of Hell, and it was not all brimstone and fire.
Damocles:

Neither the lake of fire nor hell are literal when used in the Bible. They are considered symbolic language when one pays attention to their context (the surrounding words, verses, and chapters within the same Bible book where those particular statements appear.)

Ok. What part of what I said do you disagree with? In order to decide who's saved and who's not, there has to be judging, doesn't there?
ZenMode:

Scripture says we will be judged by Almighty God for our actions. It says nothing about literal hellfire torment.

Romans 14:10

But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you also look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.

Romans 14:11

For it is written: “‘As surely as I live,’ says Jehovah, ‘to me every knee will bend, and every tongue will make open acknowledgment to God.’”

Romans 14:12

So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God.

I agree that there is no hell fire torment. The OT says that we will be destroyed in a lake of fire, not tormented for eternity, as many Christians believe.
ZenMode:

The lake of fire is not literal; it's symbolic language that refers to permanent death from which there will be no resurrection. I can show you why it is not literal, if you're interested in allowing the Bible to be the authority.

ZenMode:

The lake of fire is not literal; it's symbolic language that refers to permanent death from which there will be no resurrection. I can show you why it is not literal, if you're interested in allowing the Bible to be the authority.
What makes you believe it's not meant to be a literal lake of fire?

Also, I was wrong about the OT referencing the lake of fire. It was Jesus in the NT only, I believe.

The sheep and the goats in Matthew 25: 31-46 is not a parable. You should read that one. Jesus describes hell as "eternal torment". And in verse 41 he talks about the fire prepared for the devil and his followers.

The sheep and the goats in Matthew 25: 31-46 is not a parable. You should read that one. Jesus describes hell as "eternal torment". And in verse 41 he talks about the fire prepared for the devil and his followers.
Damocles:

Really? Matthew 25:31-46 is not a parable you say? Then why is Jesus using the words "sheep" and "goats"?

What makes you believe it's not meant to be a literal lake of fire?

Also, I was wrong about the OT referencing the lake of fire. It was Jesus in the NT only, I believe.
Because the context (surrounding words, verses, and chapters) says it's not literal. Notice the Bible quotation below:

Revelation 20:14

And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire.

QUESTION: Can death and the Grave literally be hurled into fire and burned up?

Because the context (surrounding words, verses, and chapters) says it's not literal. Notice the Bible quotation below:

And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire.

QUESTION: Can death and the Grave literally be hurled into fire and burned up?
We're getting off topic here, but I don't think you're interpreting that verse correctly. What does Revelation 20:14 mean?

What's described in verses 14 and 15 is nothing less than the final, complete accomplishment of total victory over sin. The judgment is complete. Now Death and Hades are cast into the lake of fire. Unbelievers spend their lives following the will of the Devil. Ephesians 2:1–3 reminds Christians that prior to salvation they were dead in trespasses and sins. Sins characterized their lives, and they followed Satan, the prince of the power of the air. Also, they lived in the passions of the sin nature and were the children of wrath. However, in a remarkable act of love, God showed mercy and saved by grace, turning their wicked lifestyle into a beautiful life style (Ephesians 2:4–10).

This verse in Revelation calls the lake of fire "the second death." The first death is physical. Upon death, the soul is separated from the body, and the unbeliever continues to be separated from God. At the second death, the resurrected body is joined to the soul and both are separated from God for all eternity. At this point in time, all sin and evil has been judged and punished: either in hell or by the sacrificial blood of Christ (John 3:16–18).

The teaching of literal hellfire torment is commonplace in Christendom and non-Christian religions. This teaching defames the Creator and portrays him as a sadist who tortures people in literal flames of fire for all eternity—as punishment for wrongdoings committed during the relatively brief human lifespan.

Hellfire believers insist that the wicked will literally experience pain while burning in literal flames of fire—after they have died. So that brings us to the questions below.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

Are there are scriptures in the Judeo-Christian Bible to support the teaching of literal hellfire torment? If you believe that to be the case, please quote up to three (3) scriptures and include Bible book, chapter, and verse, along with a brief explanation for why you believe the verses are talking literal hellfire torment.

2. According to those who believe in literal hellfire torment, only wicked people will wind up in hell. Is that what you believe?

3. Does the Bible teach that humans have an immortal soul that survives the death of the person so that the soul can then be burned in eternal flames? If so, please present scriptures to that effect to prove it (no more than 3 scriptures at a time, please). Follow the steps indicated at Question #1.

4. When people are being tortured in hellfire, wouldn't they have to KNOW or be conscious/aware of the fact that they are being burned? I mean to say, what's the point of punishing people in a burning hellfire if they aren't even aware?

5. Those who believe in literal eternal torment say that the person's soul is being burned forever. What is the soul? Are animals souls also, or does the term "soul" apply only to humans?

Bart Ehrman wrote a book called "Heaven and Hell" that attempts to frame the development of the concept of "hell" and even the "afterlife" in Christian thought. It sounds a lot like these concepts came in as the world of Judea became more Hellenized during the Roman colony era. The various concepts of an afterlife seem to be more Greek inspired than anything from the traditions of the Jewish people who generally seem to lack an afterlife (although there are a few cases where spirits are raised in the OT).

It's an interesting read and always an interesting thing to see the evolution of religious faith.

The concept of "Hell" is also something that many people feel they "need" in their religious beliefs. For instance: another poster who claims to be agnostic still feels that atheistic belief systems which lack any sort of "ultimate justice" for evil doers like Stalin or Hitler makes that philosophy "unappealing" to them.

It is not an uncommon feeling. Everyone wants revenge on those they feel are truly evil, so it would stand to reason that building that into a religious philosophy would be appealing to some people.

We're getting off topic here, but I don't think you're interpreting that verse correctly. What does Revelation 20:14 mean?

What's described in verses 14 and 15 is nothing less than the final, complete accomplishment of total victory over sin. The judgment is complete. Now Death and Hades are cast into the lake of fire. Unbelievers spend their lives following the will of the Devil. Ephesians 2:1–3 reminds Christians that prior to salvation they were dead in trespasses and sins. Sins characterized their lives, and they followed Satan, the prince of the power of the air. Also, they lived in the passions of the sin nature and were the children of wrath. However, in a remarkable act of love, God showed mercy and saved by grace, turning their wicked lifestyle into a beautiful life style (Ephesians 2:4–10).

This verse in Revelation calls the lake of fire "the second death." The first death is physical. Upon death, the soul is separated from the body, and the unbeliever continues to be separated from God. At the second death, the resurrected body is joined to the soul and both are separated from God for all eternity. At this point in time, all sin and evil has been judged and punished: either in hell or by the sacrificial blood of Christ (John 3:16–18).

No, we're very much on topic. I asked you a question that you are now refusing to answer. The answer is either "YES" or "NO." Below is the Bible quotation again, followed by the question.

QUESTION: Can death and the Grave literally be hurled into fire and burned up? YES or NO.

The concept of "Hell" is also something that many people feel they "need" in their religious beliefs. For instance: another poster who claims to be agnostic still feels that atheistic belief systems which lack any sort of "ultimate justice" for evil doers like Stalin or Hitler makes that philosophy "unappealing" to them.

It is not an uncommon feeling. Everyone wants revenge on those they feel are truly evil, so it would stand to reason that building that into a religious philosophy would be appealing to some people.
Obtenebrator:

Fortunately, literal hellfire torment is not supported by scripture in Jehovah's inspired word, the Judeo-Christian Bible. I have yet to find anyone that can show me a scripture in the Bible that supports the dogma.

Damocles:

Really? Matthew 25:31-46 is not a parable you say? Then why is Jesus using the words "sheep" and "goats"?
Because he used sheep and goats often, this isn't the only time those are used to describe these subsets of humans... The goats are the ones who are judged wanting, the sheep are his flock. He often speaks of the congregation as his sheep and himself as the shepherd. This isn't difficult to understand. He begins with parables, but ends talking about the lesson he was working towards, judgement and reward.

Because he used sheep and goats often, this isn't the only time those are used to describe these subsets of humans... The goats are the ones who are judged wanting, the sheep are his flock. He often speaks of the congregation as his sheep and himself as the shepherd. This isn't difficult to understand. He begins with parables, but ends talking about the lesson he was working towards, judgement and reward.
Damocles:

Since you insist Matthew 25:31-46 is not a parable but instead is a true story, suppose you explain to the rest of us the following verses; and remember, this is Jesus talking.

Matthew 25:35

For I became hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you received me hospitably;

Matthew 25:36

naked and you clothed me. I fell sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you visited me.’

QUESTION: When was Jesus ever hungry or thirsty or naked or sick or in prison--up to the point he gave that parable?

No, we're very much on topic. I asked you a question that you are now refusing to answer. The answer is either "YES" or "NO." Below is the Bible quotation again, followed by the question.

QUESTION: Can death and the Grave literally be hurled into fire and burned up? YES or NO.
In the way you are interpreting it, no, but that is only your interpretation.

Jesus, according to Matthew 13:24-43, doesn’t agree with you:

The weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire. It will be the same at the end of time. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will find the people who cause sin and all those who do evil. The angels will take those people out of his kingdom.

In the way you are interpreting it, no, but that is only your interpretation.

Jesus, according to Matthew 13:24-43, doesn’t agree with you:

The weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire. It will be the same at the end of time. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will find the people who cause sin and all those who do evil. The angels will take those people out of his kingdom.
ZenMode:

Matthew 13:24-43 is a parable. The very first verse in that series announces that it is a parable aka fictitious story that is used by Jesus to make a point.

New International Version
Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. (Matthew 13:24)

This teaching defames the Creator and portrays him as a sadist who tortures people in literal flames of fire for all eternity—as punishment for wrongdoings committed during the relatively brief human lifespan.
Forgive the question, but does it matter how the Creator tortures people for all eternity? Is He somehow not a sadist if the literal flames are converted to some other form of torture?

... as punishment for wrongdoings committed during the relatively brief human lifespan
Forgive the question, but how does this pertain to Christians who don't believe that the Creator punishes for wrongdoings during the relatively brief human lifespan, but instead punishes for not believing at the tail end of the relatively brief human lifespan?

Back