Locally caught fish are full of dangerous chemicals called PFAS, study finds

The colors on these fish are amazing. Especially in the fall. Browns are yellow or red. Rainbows are always beautiful. This is from June

Pixsoah.jpg
Another beauty!

I’m not very good at it, but I always try. My son and son in law are excellent fly fisherman. I’m an old Kansas girl, I like my cane pole at the local fishing hole.

My mom had one of those! With the black thread line even. She caught more fish with that old thing than the rest of us with our modern gear.

Is that a salmon from the ocean?
That’s a beauty! I have only one picture of a fish I caught, a Dolly. I’m not a good fisherwoman.
Nice halibut, perfect sized halibut. I like the smaller ones, I think they taste better.

That’s a beauty! I have only one picture of a fish I caught, a Dolly. I’m not a good fisherwoman.
Nice halibut, perfect sized halibut. I like the smaller ones, I think they taste better.
Typically, the smaller ones taste much better. For trout, I like them best at about 4 lbs, but smaller is ok. They also taste much better in the summer than the winter.

I've eaten some large fish, but I tend to release them now. Unless I'm going to fire up the smoker.

Yes, I suppose that in the right waters they’d be fine to eat. People can call me racist if they desire but I prefer not to eat any “farm raised” tilapia … or catfish for that matter, especially if they come from China. But I’m skeptical about it farmed anywhere, so since I have a choice I usually choose to avoid it.

I also noticed your link mentioned how invasive they are. I remember when Peacock bass were introduced to Florida. Someone thought that’d be a good idea but here we are years later…most regretting that decision.

Most of the Midwest's streams and rivers have been ruined by Asian carp that escaped a fish farm years back. There is an ongoing battle to keep them out of the Great Lakes. When disturbed they leap out of the water. We've had them land in our kayaks, even bounce off our heads. They've actually knocked people completely out of their boats. They're not edible except for dog/cat food. They outbreed and outcompete native species and have completely taken over many rivers and streams.

I've caught hundreds of trout, anywhere from very small brookies and cuts to 5 lb. Browns, and they were all just as fun to catch. I have a N0. 5 Rod that I use on small streams and beaver ponds. And I have a N0.7 that I use when going after the big ones. Since I mostly catch and release, the size of the fish doesn't really matter that much to me. I actually enjoy catching the little brookies and native cuts in the smaller streams and the Beaver ponds, because you can see the fish easier, and go after the larger ones.
However those youngsters will dash out and steel the fly from the big ones a lot of times. It's every fish for himself down there. It's like who is the hungriest and who is the most daring sometimes. Fish learn as they age, and the older trout are not so fooled by man made flies tied to the end of a string! The Youngsters will attack anything that even resembles a fly, so they are the easiest to catch and often times the most fun when you are fishing with the grandchildren etc.
It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase!

There's a certain sense of satisfaction when you can fool a trout into biting.

You can't piss them off simply by invading their territory, as you can with bass.

They're amazing! I put the wrong town on my pic yesterday. That was Homer, not Seward. The charter guys clean and package your catch for you, and freeze it as well if you're not taking it home immediately. There was a restaurant on the spit called Capt. Patty's. You could take your fresh catch there and they would prepare it anyway you liked. Best fish ever!!!

Most of the Midwest's streams and rivers have been ruined by Asian carp that escaped a fish farm years back. There is an ongoing battle to keep them out of the Great Lakes. When disturbed they leap out of the water. We've had them land in our kayaks, even bounce off our heads. They've actually knocked people completely out of their boats. They're not edible except for dog/cat food. They outbreed and outcompete native species and have completely taken over many rivers and streams.

LOL. I've seen them on t.v. before. I know it's not funny, but it's funny

You can't piss them off simply by invading their territory, as you can with bass.

The fish taking the fly, is just the easy part sometimes. These tapered leaders taper all the way down to a line that is very fine, almost a 2lb test at the very end when you first use it. So, the trick of course is to tie the fly on with the right knot, and be sure to let the fish tire it self down a bit, and taking up just the right amount of slack so as to gradually bring the fish on in. If you don't take all the right steps, or just reel it in too fast and powerfully, THAT FISH WILL find a way to get off of the little hook that is caught in his lip, or the leader will break, and free himself back into the Blue! So, it's a little challenging. Perhaps the most fun and exiting part of the experience is being able to land him in your net. Take a picture, and free the little creature safely back into the Blue to be caught again someday by someone else.

There is just something about giving something so beautiful it's life and freedom back to live a full life in it's happy home. I usually just borrow them for a minute so I can think I am smarter than a fish for just a moment in time.

The fish taking the fly, is just the easy part sometimes. These tapered leaders taper all the way down to a line that is very fine, almost a 2lb test at the very end when you first use it. So, the trick of course is to tie the fly on with the right knot, and be sure to let the fish tire it self down a bit, and taking up just the right amount of slack so as to gradually bring the fish on in. If you don't take all the right steps, or just reel it in too fast and powerfully, THAT FISH WILL find a way to get off of the little hook that is caught in his lip, or the leader will break, and free himself back into the Blue! So, it's a little challenging. Perhaps the most fun and exiting part of the experience is being able to land him in your net. Take a picture, and free the little creature safely back into the Blue to be caught again someday by someone else.

There is just something about giving something so beautiful it's life and freedom back to live a full life in it's happy home. I usually just borrow them for a minute so I can think I am smarter than a fish for just a moment in time.

Beautifully said.

Yep. I too fish with light test in the lakes. Typically 4 or 6 pound test, and it does take time to play the fish with finesse. In the lakes, the trout have all the room in the world to run, so quite often they take off and peel 50 or 60 feet of line off of the spool

We pay to stock the lake where that brown picture was taken, so they're all my 'pets'. I release 90% of the ones I catch, often over 4 lbs.. I want to catch them when they're 8 or 10 pounds in a year or so.
Same through the ice. I'm using 12 feet of 6 lb test leader on my braided line. It takes a LONG time to get a 10 lb trout through an 8" hole in the ice.

As the years pass, I have more trouble killing them. On the ice, I cut a live well in the ice and keep the trout alive for culling. Most lakes have a limit, and some lakes have smaller limits than others. If I catch something I might eat, I'll keep it in the live well in case I catch a nicer one. After a day of hanging out with a group of trout, we typically just release them all!

And that's not even on the lake where my 'pets' live. I marvel at the different colors you see with these fish.

dWCvfgt.jpg

Yep. I too fish with light test in the lakes. Typically 4 or 6 pound test, and it does take time to play the fish with finesse. In the lakes, the trout have all the room in the world to run, so quite often they take off and peel 50 or 60 feet of line off of the spool

We pay to stock the lake where that brown picture was taken, so they're all my 'pets'. I release 90% of the ones I catch, often over 4 lbs.. I want to catch them when they're 8 or 10 pounds in a year or so.
Same through the ice. I'm using 12 feet of 6 lb test leader on my braided line. It takes a LONG time to get a 10 lb trout through an 8" hole in the ice.

As the years pass, I have more trouble killing them. On the ice, I cut a live well in the ice and keep the trout alive for culling. Most lakes have a limit, and some lakes have smaller limits than others. If I catch something I might eat, I'll keep it in the live well in case I catch a nicer one. After a day of hanging out with a group of trout, we typically just release them all!

And that's not even on the lake where my 'pets' live. I marvel at the different colors you see with these fish.

dWCvfgt.jpg

I appreciate all of your fishing information and stories.

Too bad, we ended up unintentionally hi-jacking this thread with fishing lore, but hey! Perhaps we salvaged this thread.

It made my day! I'm already planning my next trip up to the Rockies!

I'm more concerned with Whirling disease than water pollution where I fish. Where I fish, the water comes from pure melted snow and is clear as a bell!

I drink out of the same streams I fish out of, AFTER I POUR IT THROUGH MY CARBON FILTER- OF COURSE!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Yes, Asian carp are the worst invasive fish that I can think of. Probably because they're they most prevalent and I have seen them injure people as the people try to drive through a school of them in a bass boat. Then there's the snake head. Nasty critters. Zebra mussels aren't any fun either.

We used to have red horse in our local creeks and they would make a run upstream every year. They no longer exist. I haven't seen one since I was 7 years old. Sad deal. Whether that's due to invasive species competition or loss of suitable habitat, I don't know. I just know I don't like it. A few years back I was fishing and found our local creek full of fresh water jellyfish. Fortunately they didn't survive the winter.

I definitely can relate to this. While I like trout, they are not my favorite fish to eat, but they are my favorite fish to pursue for just the resons you stated. Sadly, here in Oklahoma I have to travel to get to fish for them. Colorado mountain streams are some of my favorite places to go but I have fished Northern California, Georgia, Northern Kentucky and a few other places. We're planning a Minnesota/Badlands trip this summer. I may have to try my luck while I'm up there.

Back