Macca Sucks Corporate Cock

Unlike Led Zeppelin that stole their music from others,

All art is born from existing references, that is what makes it art.

If it was art before Starbucks sold it, it is still art.

I don't contend that Macca selling through Starbucks alters his music, just questioning the medium through which he is selling it....

Unlike Led Zeppelin that stole their music from others,

All art is born from existing references, that is what makes it art.
However, "existing references" or not. Led Zeppelin directly stole their music. Go and look at new CDs from them, they lost the lawsuit and the original writers are now credited for writing the songs.

They would have a band open, say, "Well, that's a great song!" and just start playing it, claiming it as their own.

Here's a list for ya:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

from this site:

http://www.warr.org/zep.html#Thieves

That's amazing. I had no idea. When they lost the lawsuits, other than having to credit the actual writers on their albums, did they also have to compensate them financially?

That's amazing. I had no idea. When they lost the lawsuits, other than having to credit the actual writers on their albums, did they also have to compensate them financially?
Probably. I am just finding out about this too. I had a friend that started talking about it after Stern talked about it on his Satellite radio show...

It's freaking weird to be so pissed off at what I thought was one of the best bands EVER...

I guess I am just fortunate to have no heroes, and just like music that is produced.

I don't feel one bit gutted.

It does put "Macca" using a different record label into perspective though.

Yes, it does. I'm not chuffed with Macca but if I ever see Jimmy Page in Lincoln High Street he's gonna get a piece of my mind.... lol

The reason I never got into Oasis was because of the obvious rip-off of the Beatles.....

I heard about the Zep thing.. first time I read the list though. I gotta listen to Spirits Taurus ... I had a couple of their Albums back in the day.. "Spirit of 76" where they did a great covers of "Hey Joe" and "Like A Rolling Stone".

Im not really surprised by this... everyone lifts from everyone.

OMG!! Just listened to Taurus!! It is a blatant ripoff!!! Thank God for On Demand Music Services .. lol!!

Well, to be fair, Stairway to Heaven lyrics were written by the band, it was the MUSIC that they stole.

This is an exaggeration damo.

I just listened to the Spirit song.

Zep's opening guitar riff is very similar to the spirit song. Though, not exactly the same.

And Stairway is like a seven minute song. That first opening guitar part is only like 10 percent of the song, if that. The rest of Stairway is entirely Zep's creation.

Back