Man, That's Some Blizzard

Well, I finally got home. I high-centered my truck in my driveway. At least it is in my driveway and not in the road like my nephew's Mustang.

No AWD Subaru would even get close to getting around out here at this time.

Yep only the tall stuff goes in the deep snow.

i think i have a thing for periods

Edit it if you feel that strongly...
Too late.

teu01.gif

More people are than realize it, Beefy. I often think that other women are the worst, too! :D

:gpow:

i am not afraid to admit it... i am a lil sexist... i think it kinda part of nature...

dont get me wrong, its not like i go out of my way for it, but i do notice it here and there.

Men and women are different in some ways so some small degree of "sexism" is required for things to go more smoothly in life.
Disclaimer: As with anything dealing with human beings this does not apply to 100% of people.

Men and women are different in some ways so some small degree of "sexism" is required for things to go more smoothly in life.
Disclaimer: As with anything dealing with human beings this does not apply to 100% of people.
I agree. The thing is that "sexism", just like "racism", is a word that means different things to different people and at different times.

Not many women are physically able to be good firefighters, for example. It's one of the few modern jobs that really does require more upper body strength than women usually have. There are some women, however, who can do it. I know one myself.

There may also be some validity -- probably is some validity -- to the notion(s) that women and men are statistically somewhat different from one another in cognition and temperament. The two distributions clearly overlap, however: there are women who have very "masculine" minds and temperaments and men who have very "feminine" minds and temperaments.

I agree on the temperment / cognition overlap , and it is just that , an overlap. But generalized temperment differences do exist due to different hormones and such. Well more the level of the particular homones to be more precise.

I wish we had a laughing smilie -- oh, well.

Would you agree that many if not most of those differences arise from differential socialization, though, usc? Countless studies have shown that people's expectations of another's abilities and behaviors can be significantly influenced by prior "information" about that person. This would certainly extend to sexism and racism as well.

I agree on the temperment / cognition overlap , and it is just that , an overlap. But generalized temperment differences do exist due to different hormones and such. Well more the level of the particular homones to be more precise.

I think that here in particular socialization plays a key role. It's far too easy for someone to attribute behavior to hormonal influences; on the other hand it may also be far too easy for someone to not take charge of those influences and control them, because the individual perceives that this is what society expects, anyway.

I agree with you to a point Thorn. To me there seems to be basic core differences and the hormone levels do play a part in our temperment and behaviour. I do agree the the "nurture" angle is valid but fails as with all other things concerning humans to "splain it all", so to speak.

I read long ago about a study done on males in prisons, it show an extremely strong corelation of the males with the highest estrogen levels to be the most violent criminals. Now I am not claiming to fully understand what that means :) However It does show a corellation between hormone levels and behaviours.

I agree with you to a point Thorn. To me there seems to be basic core differences and the hormone levels do play a part in our temperament and behaviour. I do agree the the "nurture" angle is valid but fails as with all other things concerning humans to "splain it all", so to speak.

I read long ago about a study done on males in prisons, it show an extremely strong corelation of the males with the highest estrogen levels to be the most violent criminals. Now I am not claiming to fully understand what that means :) However It does show a correlation between hormone levels and behaviours.

The same has been found between violence/aggression and serotonin (5-HT), the neurotransmitter that's affected by the SSRI (selective serotinin reuptake inhibitors) antidepressants such as Prozac, etc. A similar correlation has been found between 5-HT and suicide. That's for another thread; my point is that it can be misleading to accept these findings on their own.

The whole nature/nurture phenomenon with respect to human behavior is not at all well understood, not in small part because the effect of the interaction itself is so strong. (Recall from Statistics that where an interaction between two variables is statistically significant, the main effects are no longer important).

Look, for instance, at schizophrenia. It is now believed to be polygenic (many different genes can contribute) in origin, yet in sets of monozygotic (identical) twins where one is schizophrenic, the other twin may be perfectly healthy. It is likely, then, that there is some environmental (nurture) factor that acted as a catalyst. This is particularly puzzling with twins, who generally live more alike with the same environmental influences than most other siblings. Someone else said today that our understanding of genetics is in its infancy; very, very good point and very true.

I can't disagree, with some reservations, that circulating hormones can influence perceptions and therefore behavior. Look at anabolic steroids. But with the gender differentiation, I contend that our society tends to have a fairly permissive attitude toward what we've labelled PMS, and for some women this may seem like a licence to act out. Same as excessive alcohol for certain other people. Just a thought to ponder.

My conclusion on the identical twins is that they are not identical, just identical as far as we can currently determine.

My conclusion on the identical twins is that they are not identical, just identical as far as we can currently determine.
My experience differs. I know three pairs of "identical" twins and can see differences in each pair and have no problem identifying them even when they are not together.

Off on a different direction than I was heading Damo.
This is the old nature vs nurture in identical twins argument.
Do we know exactly why identical twins are virtually never identical in their mental makeup/attitudes? Then we can not currently determine the exact causes of the differences.

Back