Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is a Hoax

If Te'o was dumb enough to get duped by an online hoax of such intimate nature, then he deserves to be humiliated. It might even help him from getting into more bad publicity throughout his career with the NFL. After all, teams have had to put up with far worse than this (i.e. drunk driving, murder trials, dog fighting scandals, bar fights, domestic violence, substance abuse, etc.), and if this is the worst that Te'o has to offer, I think the GM's that are interested in a new linebacker can breath a sigh of relief. He might lose out on ever being a team captain for a long time to come...

Haha. I hear you on people being humiliated. I don't find joy in seeing people getting humiliated either (ok, I'm sure there are a couple people I would make exceptions for but I'm saying as a general belief). To truly appreciate this story I think one needs to understand Notre Dame's history in context of college football. And within that the amount of positive publicity Manti Te'o was able to generate as a result of this story that benefitted both he and the University. And now it turns out to be false and he may have been in on it? At the moment my sympathy for him is nowhere near as strong as yours.

Yeah that is true, I know nothing about this guy, Notre Dame, or even really football.

Note to the haters, I still want to see Te'o drafted to my Seahawks, and would still call myself a fan of his. I just think he's a bit stupid... :cof1:

You seem to be angry at me for making assumptions. And yet you are doing the same thing. As I said, there is evidence that he knew about it all.

I have no problem with a trusting soul. I have doubts that someone would have a year long "relationship" with someone and never see them at all, despite the fact that Manti's father claims the girlfriend came to Hawaii at times Manti was home.

WB, I just re-read this thread and I think it's quite clear Desh probably never heard of Manti Te'o before today and probably isn't all that familiar with college football and Notre Dame's place in it as well as how the media has hyped Te'o story this year. It's not a bad thing she doesn't follow college football or know who Te'o was previously but it obviously doesn't let her understand the full details behind this story (or why Te'o or Notre Dame would want all the positive publicity it received from it).

Here's the thing, evince... Te'o is a great athlete, but the quality which set him apart from all others, was his leadership ability. This is why he was considered for the Heisman, an award that has only been given to a defensive player once in history. Leadership is a very special attribute, an intangible that is hard to find in young players, but his credibility and integrity as a leader is completely tarnished by this incident, because true leaders don't get duped, they don't fall for things like this, and it has diminished his reputation considerably. Many pro teams who were interested in Te'o, have now taken him off their draft board entirely. It may not seem "fair" but that's how it goes.

Im betting he is a trusting young naive man who got taken for a ride. Have you ever know any morman kids?

I have known many.

I dont like the morman religion ay more than I like the other myth based organised religions but I have known some very nice kids.

The morman religion shelters them and in the area of love they train them to be very willing to WAIT until marriage.

An online romance its tailor made for these kids because they are not tempted physically.

The likely reason he makes a good leader is he is a trusting soul.

Being trusting is NOT equal with being stupid.

and you people are doing just what I figured you would.

There is NOTHING our society hates more than a trusting soul.

Oh that's bull though. Some of the most powerful people in the world, and even in history, were "duped" by fake friends, usually fake lovers, and a lot of times, fake confidants. You'd be amazed. I read this amazing story maybe ten years ago about some woman, not a young woman and not a beautiful woman, who was a confident to some of the most famous men in Hollywood. All over the phone. They gave her shit too. Just to have someone who had this talent of being able to make them feel that she cared, and whatever else she made them feel, but interestingly, none of it was sexual.

Doesn't it seem strange that after all that time they supposedly dated that they never saw each other or in this day or social media either skype'd or facetimed each other? And then you go public about this person being your gf and your story garners national media attention and puts you on the cover of national publications? That alone doesn't pass the sniff test to me (this is not even discussing the varying stories family members told etc.).

can a 21 year old man be this trusting?

oh hells yeah.

You just dont believe there are trustinng people in the world anymore.

There are and when you met them you canteven recognise them I guess.

This kid got convinced he was in love by someone who planned to hit him up for money when he hit the big time.

This kid did NOT need this to find some success in the world.

He was on a sucessful path without the girlfriend story.

I bet that the most he did wrong was likely pretend the girl died after he found out he had been had.

If that

can a 21 year old man be this trusting?

oh hells yeah.

You just dont believe there are trustinng people in the world anymore.

There are and when you met them you canteven recognise them I guess.

This kid got convinced he was in love by someone who planned to hit him up for money when he hit the big time.

This kid did NOT need this to find some success in the world.

He was on a sucessful path without the girlfriend story.

I bet that the most he did wrong was likely pretend the girl died after he found out he had been had.

If that

Like I said you don't follow college football. There's nothing wrong with that other than you don't understand the benefit this story got him and his university.

Let's take a look at some of the thing the media reported:

Lennay Kekua was a Stanford student and Cardinal football fan when the two exchanged glances, handshakes and phone numbers that fateful weekend three seasons ago.

"They started out as just friends," Brian Te'o said. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple. "And we came to the realization that she could be our daughter-in-law. Sadly, it won't happen now."

Brian Te'o is Manti Te'o's dad. None of that shit happens with a person that does not exist. I'm not discounting the possibility that there was a real woman he actually met once, but the idea that Te'o met this same person in Hawaii every once in a while but would never Skype or video chat is just nonsense.

This is why I don't think it plausible that Te'o didn't know what was going on. It's possible he was duped initially, but there's no way he didn't know that she didn't exist long before her supposed death.

we shall see.

what the fuck exactly did he have to gain?

No fucking thing.

I bet the kid was had and if he went with it it was only because he found out and was so embarrassed he tried to end it without people knowing he had been had

Notoriety during the runup to the awarding of the Heisman trophy?

His sad story of the girlfriend who died of Leukemia is so very sad and a PERFECT way to keep his name top of mind with the voters.

His sad story of the girlfriend who died of Leukemia is so very sad and a PERFECT way to keep his name top of mind with the voters.

Exactly. As anyone who follows college football knows it's rare for a defensive player to garner serious Heisman votes. You kind of had a perfect storm here where Te'o was an excellent player who played on a Notre Dame team that was finally relevent again after being away from the top of the polls for basically the last 20 years and he had this great heart wrenching story. All that helped get him to finish number two in the Heisman voting.

Additionally all this positive publicity would only help his draft stock which of course would mean more money in his pocket.

Note to the haters, I still want to see Te'o drafted to my Seahawks, and would still call myself a fan of his. I just think he's a bit stupid... :cof1:

No chance he falls to the Seahawks. My Steelers will be taking him with their number one pick and Lacey with thier second. The irony is awesome.

his grandma died, he could have used that the same way

I think he got had and tried to solve the mess without being embrassed.

He tried to kill off the embarrassment.

If you can empathize with that idea then you can understand that to him it was very much like the death of the loved one.

I think he got took.

I think he got had and tried to solve the mess without being embrassed.

He tried to kill off the embarrassment.

If you can empathize with that idea then you can understand that to him it was very much like the death of the loved one.

I think he got took.

So his family was lying about it to? Look at Dungheap's post. How do you justify that?

I never saw the Dad say that he met the young woman.

Teo May have told his dad he met her.

Now how many young men lie to their parents about a relationship with a girl??

Back