Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is a Hoax

If my son said he was in love with an online girl I would insist he meet her in person before continuing that serious a relationship.

" Oh its OK dad I am going to meet her later."

"Well son you said you were going to meet her how did it go?"

Um well ....she is wonderful just like I thought"

If my son said he was in love with an online girl I would insist he meet her in person before continuing that serious a relationship.

" Oh its OK dad I am going to meet her later."

"Well son you said you were going to meet her how did it go?"

Um well ....she is wonderful just like I thought"

What is this?

I never saw the Dad say that he met the young woman.

Teo May have told his dad he met her.

Now how many young men lie to their parents about a relationship with a girl??

As everyone else has said this doesn't pass the sniff test.

Desh, you are free to believe what you would like. It's pretty clear from the information that's out there and everyone else's responses that there is more going on here than just an innocent kid being duped.

Doesn't it seem strange that after all that time they supposedly dated that they never saw each other or in this day or social media either skype'd or facetimed each other? And then you go public about this person being your gf and your story garners national media attention and puts you on the cover of national publications? That alone doesn't pass the sniff test to me (this is not even discussing the varying stories family members told etc.).

Yeah, I don't know how this person could have gotten out of facetimeing actually.

I read this article in the NY Times not long ago that so many people are facetiming and skyping etc, that there are plastic surgeons now who have specific procedures to make you look better on that. Because it highlights and really emphasizes certain angles, like jawlines or something. I thought it was really neck and neck between that and women getting their pinky toes removed to wear certain shoes as the most retarded thing I'd ever heard. I do facetime a lot since i got an iphone and I don't give a crap how I look on it. Like I am going to get plastic surgery so my jawline looks tighter on facetime?

Anyway, no I don't believe you could have an internet "relationship" today and not expose yourself fairly quickly. I don't think you could do it even ten years ago, but definitely not today. Everyone video chats today.

I'd rather talk about this than guns. I can't even take a ten minute break on here anymore, it's like every thread is guns guns guns. Ranting and raving. It's just crazy.

I read this article in the NY Times not long ago that so many people are facetiming and skyping etc, that there are plastic surgeons now who have specific procedures to make you look better on that. Because it highlights and really emphasizes certain angles, like jawlines or something. I thought it was really neck and neck between that and women getting their pinky toes removed to wear certain shoes as the most retarded thing I'd ever heard. I do facetime a lot since i got an iphone and I don't give a crap how I look on it. Like I am going to get plastic surgery so my jawline looks tighter on facetime?

Anyway, no I don't believe you could have an internet "relationship" today and not expose yourself fairly quickly. I don't think you could do it even ten years ago, but definitely not today. Everyone video chats today.

I have no doubt, boy we are a sorry, insecure lot that focuses on so many unimportant things.

Haha. I hear you on people being humiliated. I don't find joy in seeing people getting humiliated either (ok, I'm sure there are a couple people I would make exceptions for but I'm saying as a general belief). To truly appreciate this story I think one needs to understand Notre Dame's history in context of college football. And within that the amount of positive publicity Manti Te'o was able to generate as a result of this story that benefitted both he and the University. And now it turns out to be false and he may have been in on it? At the moment my sympathy for him is nowhere near as strong as yours.

Yeah, I think we all need to remember one important thing, while all the Manti jokes are funny, a person who never existed, is dead....

Wow, that is crazy. Young kids are technologically sophisticated today. I would find it hard to believe two people who go to two of the top universities in our country don't know how to use skype or facetime and while dating cross country have no desire to see each other while talking.

Throw in the fact that she supposedly had a serious car accident and he didn't go visit her and then she has leukiemia (sp) and he doesn't go visit her, a person he supposedly loves, it doesn't pass the sniff test to me.

Exactly. As anyone who follows college football knows it's rare for a defensive player to garner serious Heisman votes. You kind of had a perfect storm here where Te'o was an excellent player who played on a Notre Dame team that was finally relevent again after being away from the top of the polls for basically the last 20 years and he had this great heart wrenching story. All that helped get him to finish number two in the Heisman voting.

Additionally all this positive publicity would only help his draft stock which of course would mean more money in his pocket.

There was more coverage of his "tragedies" than of his abilities in the some sports sections. Of course it elevated his name in the Heisman voter's awareness.

Let's take a look at some of the thing the media reported:

Brian Te'o is Manti Te'o's dad. None of that shit happens with a person that does not exist. I'm not discounting the possibility that there was a real woman he actually met once, but the idea that Te'o met this same person in Hawaii every once in a while but would never Skype or video chat is just nonsense.

This is why I don't think it plausible that Te'o didn't know what was going on. It's possible he was duped initially, but there's no way he didn't know that she didn't exist long before her supposed death.

And Manti knows the kid who supposedly is the prime suspect for pulling this scam. In fact, they were seen together numerous times. I think Manti knew what was going on.

his grandma died, he could have used that the same way

Has anybody bothered to check the veracity of that claim yet?

I am sorry, I like the kid but this doesn't pass the smell test.

With the tech available today for people to converse over great distances together, it's inconceivable to think they had never had a face to face via the internet.

Wow, that is crazy. Young kids are technologically sophisticated today. I would find it hard to believe two people who go to two of the top universities in our country don't know how to use skype or facetime and while dating cross country have no desire to see each other while talking.

Throw in the fact that she supposedly had a serious car accident and he didn't go visit her and then she has leukiemia (sp) and he doesn't go visit her, a person he supposedly loves, it doesn't pass the sniff test to me.

Yeah, I facetime with my friends, with my business buddies, with my mom for god sakes, lol. It is hard to imagine.

Back