Meet the Martians

"Engineering Is Not Science"

--- Boston University College of Engineering---

Engineers are not a sub-category of scientists.

So often the two terms are used interchangeably, but they are separate, albeit related, disciplines.

Scientists explore the natural world and show us how and why it is as it is. Discovery is the essence of science. Engineers innovate solutions to real-world challenges in society.

http://www.bu.edu/eng/about/dean-lu...n was much more,“engineering” only four times.

I'll remind you of what you said only a few minutes ago:

You can literally find anything you want on the worldwide web.

I'll remind you of what you said only a few minutes ago:

I combined web based evidence with the fact that the hundreds of engineers I worked with over three decades did not call themselves "scientists".

You would know this if you actually worked as a professional engineer.

I combined web based evidence with the fact that the hundreds of engineers I worked with over three decades did not call themselves "scientists".

I based my opinion on my training and expertise.

I'm back in the sweatshop.

Fulton_Boiler_Works_Great_Britain_J_Series_steam_boiler_7.jpg

You're going to be on calls with him. He's a high pressure boiler guy.
There's gas in the Econoline and all tools and parts are in there.

They lay the people off for 3 months during the winter. It's cheaper for him to change the pipes.
It's a fraction of the cost to change the frozen cracked pipes. Than to heat an empty wearhouse.

A little knowledge can be dangerous. :palm:

Attachments

• general-filter-hvac-accessories-1a-30-64_1000.jpg
    general-filter-hvac-accessories-1a-30-64_1000.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0

I don't have your experience, but that's my understanding too.

Different professions as expressed in Star Trek. In this case, the difference between research and application.

65eb575068b43e48feafaeb10dc9c91a.jpg

Doctors are also scientists.

Disagreed. They can be scientists since medical doctors in research are scientists, but don't tell me a country doctor setting broken bones and delivering babies is a scientist by doing his job.

Same goes for engineers per se as you should know. Are you saying you're an engineer involved in research such as testing materials or experimental designs? In that case, I'd agree you are a scientist.

Disagreed. They can be scientists since medical doctors in research are scientists, but don't tell me a country doctor setting broken bones and delivering babies is a scientist by doing his job.

Same goes for engineers per se as you should know. Are you saying you're an engineer involved in research such as testing materials or experimental designs? In that case, I'd agree you are a scientist.

Having worked in the field since the early 80's, I have a different opinion.

NASA's Perseverance rover on course for Mars landing this week, to search for signs of past life

NASA's $2.4 billion Perseverance rover will plunge into the red planet's atmosphere Thursday for an automated white-knuckle landing.

If it survives the "seven minutes of terror" from atmospheric entry to its rocket-powered touchdown in Jezero Crater, the nuclear-powered Perseverance will proceed on its mission to search for evidence of past microbial life in deposits left over from a now-vanished lake.

"Perseverance is our robotic astrobiologist, and it will be the first rover NASA has sent to Mars with the explicit goal of searching for signs of ancient life," said Robert Zurbuchen, NASA's chief of space operations.

"It will build upon what we currently know from our previous rovers, orbiters and landers. And it will attempt to answer an age-old question that has eluded humanity for generations: whether life has ever existed elsewhere beyond our own planet, our Earth."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/nasa-mars-landing-perseverance/
I’m watching coverage! I love stuff like this.

Back