Moral Questions ...and No Answers

Also, you had a lot of ifs in there. "If I could keep it from my child." "If I could forgive her."

So far, we have little information on which to judge Dixie even by these standards. Do we know why he divorced? I don't think he has ever brought forward that information for us to use to decide his morality or not. Also, can somebody not do an immoral act then later change? So, even if they learn from their mistakes one cannot speak on a subject in which they have made a mistake?

There are simply too many unanswered questions to simply judge Dixie without regard to the answers. Plus, I have no intention of asking for the answers to most of them. I prefer to allow a person to give me their opinion on a subject and to argue the opinion rather than to attempt to judge them on morality then choose to listen or not.

Also, you had a lot of ifs in there. "If I could keep it from my child." "If I could forgive her."

So far, we have little information on which to judge Dixie even by these standards. Do we know why he divorced? I don't think he has ever brought forward that information for us to use to decide his morality or not. Also, can somebody not do an immoral act then later change? So, even if they learn from their mistakes one cannot speak on a subject in which they have made a mistake?

There are simply too many unanswered questions to simply judge Dixie without regard to the answers. Plus, I have no intention of asking for the answers to most of them. I prefer to allow a person to give me their opinion on a subject and to argue the opinion rather than to attempt to judge them on morality then choose to listen or not.

I am not judging him morally. Thats his place to judge for himself, in my opinion. I was just pointing out how he was decrying modern life, including the increased divorce rate, and he himself is divorced.

I was not calling him immoral.

Is it better for kids to grow in a family based on a bad marriage ?

If it can still be a healthy enviroment for the kids, yes I believe it is. THat is if the parents can be civil toward eachother and can still play an active roll in the family life with the kids... I think it is often better for the children if the parents stay together.

My parents marriage was over years and years before they divorced, but they waited untill my sister and I were out of the house to get the divorce, and that made a big difference for me. I would not have asked them to make such a saccrifice for me but they did it. I had a happy childhood and home life but my parents often did not share a bedroom. The fought sometimes but they also cooperated when it came to parenting and they had a mutual goal of raising happy healthy children. It made a difference to me to live in one household with both of my parents. They respected eachother but lived very seperate lives untill it came to us children.

I was just pointing out how he was decrying modern life, including the increased divorce rate, and he himself is divorced.

I was not decrying modern life, there are many things about modern life I like. I was decrying modern liberal immorality and spiraling modern decadence and perversion in our society. This didn't include divorce, people have been getting divorced for years. It's sad, and it probably has contributed to many of the other problems, but it wasn't really a part of this discussion, or what I was decrying. It was made a part of the discussion by you, in an attempt to defend perversion and decadence, I guess... it's the only thing I can figure.

I was not decrying modern life, there are many things about modern life I like. I was decrying modern liberal immorality and spiraling modern decadence and perversion in our society. This didn't include divorce, people have been getting divorced for years.

this is what you say days into the thread...but here is how you began it:

Isn't it amazing how much we have changed as a society, since when we were children? I can't speak for the younger people here, I am 47, so I have a little better recollection of the past. I can honestly say, when I was 12-13, the age we all start to socialize and mingle, I don't remember anyone who lived in a family without a mom, dad, brothers and sisters... In high school, and even into college, I didn't know that many people who's parents were single or divorced. Now, it seems to be the norm. If you are a teen in today's society, you most likely live in some kind of 'blended family'.

Seems to me like you most certainly DID include divorce. You can't keep from flip flopping even in the same damned thread!

This didn't include divorce, people have been getting divorced for years. It's sad, and it probably has contributed to many of the other problems, but it wasn't really a part of this discussion, or what I was decrying.
I've highligted a crucial part of what I said, I want you to read it over and over and over again, then I want you to read it over one more time, and see if you can't find some fucking inking of a suggestion, that I might just have given a caviat to my statement. I think most sane rational people can see this, and understand it fully. The example you pulled, was not me decrying anything, it was pointing out an observation I had made, and illustrated the changing time which I was discussing. I was not using that example to blame anyone for anything, or as an issue, or to make any sole determination on the ills of society whatsoever, and to continue to categorize my comments that way, is dishonest, disingenuous, and unethical... of course, you're all about that, aren't you scumbag?

Last edited:
so...you are willing to admit that your divorce and prolonged absence from your parenting role has allowed you to contribute, in your own unique way, to many of the other problems facing America?

I am not judging him morally. Thats his place to judge for himself, in my opinion. I was just pointing out how he was decrying modern life, including the increased divorce rate, and he himself is divorced.

I was not calling him immoral.

This is pretty freakin' funny.

A divorced guy, decrying modern society's propensity to tolerate more divorces. lol

so...you are willing to admit that your divorce and prolonged absence from your parenting role has allowed you to contribute, in your own unique way, to many of the other problems facing America?

Why do you feel so compelled to bring my personal life into this? Do you just lack any moral decency whatsoever? Is this how you think it's best to articulate your points, by chastising someone personally, and casting judgements on them? Even a crack-smoking low-life piece of trash, has more human dignity and ethics than you... that's sad. Argue on point, and stay out of my personal life, or things are going to get ugly real fast here.

Why do you feel so compelled to bring my personal life into this? Do you just lack any moral decency whatsoever? Is this how you think it's best to articulate your points, by chastising someone personally, and casting judgements on them? Even a crack-smoking low-life piece of trash, has more human dignity and ethics than you... that's sad. Argue on point, and stay out of my personal life, or things are going to get ugly real fast here.

THe point is that while many conservatives are out there attacking "society" and pointing to divorce as a cause for society's ills.... they are worshiping Ronald Reagan who sunck out of the house he shared with Jane Whyneman (his ex-wife) and his son! He was just gone the next day! Shortly thereaftrer he married Nancy Reagan!

THe point is that while many conservatives are out there attacking "society" and pointing to divorce as a cause for society's ills.... they are worshiping Ronald Reagan who sunck out of the house he shared with Jane Whyneman (his ex-wife) and his son! He was just gone the next day! Shortly thereaftrer he married Nancy Reagan!

LOL

And let's not forget that three of the GOPs leading presidential contenders - Guilliani, McCain and Gingrich - have had eight wives between them, all have all committed adultry, and Rudy even married one of his cousins.

As Dixie said on an earlier thread "morality matters" when picking the President of the United States.

I wonder if dixie really meant that, or if he was just bullshiting?

And Ronnie consulted sooth sayers, I never was quite sure how the religious right supporters of Ronnie rationalized that out. Mr. Teflon.

Back