Motley Crue on Netflix

Sorry...but back in the day those of us who took our Rock seriously listened to Metallica...unless you were gay and into the LA hair scene. Then you listened to Crue.

No band did more to kill Rock in the 80’s than Mottley Crue. They came along and Grunge, Metal and Alternative got replaced by Hair, Hair, Hair...after the LA Hair scene people said “Fuck this lame shit I’d rather listen to Snoop Dog”.

This was my take on Motley Crue as a musical entity:
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?113614-Motley-Crue-on-Netflix&p=2904422#post2904422

I believe my take on them, is also reflected by the band itself

When we started this band
All we needed, needed was some laughs
Years gone by, I'd say we've kicked some ass

-Motley Crue, "Kick Start My Heart"

I do not think they took themselves that seriously. But when you get right down to it, after their heyday in the 80s, I continue hear their tunes played way more often on rock radio stations, than I hear Dio, Billy Squire, and at least as much as Bon Jovi, Journey, or John Mellenkamp. That is something of a testament to how much a lot of people still like some of their tunes.

As for me, in the late 80s you would be far more likely to find me cranking Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Rush than Crue. But I am not going to deny them their place in rock history as the founders and leading practitioners of Glam rock. And some of their tunes I will still crank, to eleven!

This was my take on Motley Crue as a musical entity:
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?113614-Motley-Crue-on-Netflix&p=2904422#post2904422

I believe my take on them, is also reflected by the band itself

I do not think they took themselves that seriously. But when you get right down to it, after their heyday in the 80s, I continue hear their tunes played way more often on rock radio stations, than I hear Dio, Billy Squire, and at least as much as Bon Jovi, Journey, or John Mellenkamp. That is something of a testament to how much a lot of people still like some of their tunes.

As for me, in the late 80s you would be far more likely to find me cranking Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Rush than Crue. But I am not going to deny them their place in rock history as the founders and leading practitioners of Glam rock. And some of their tunes I will still crank, to eleven!

Isn't it odd what happened to Billy Squire? One very odd music video literally destroyed his career. I'm pretty sure he was a lesson that hiring a gay choreographer to produce a homoerotic dance routine, now matter how good, was something your average rocker just wasn't ready for. LOL

Isn't it odd what happened to Billy Squire? One very odd music video literally destroyed his career. I'm pretty sure he was a lesson that hiring a gay choreographer to produce a homoerotic dance routine, now matter how good, was something your average rocker just wasn't ready for. LOL

Ha! I am surprised anyone but me remembers that Billy Squire video that essentially ended his career.
I vote it the worst video in music history!
But it does have a lot of shock value and comedy value. I was agog, and couldn't believe it, the first time I saw it!

Ha! I am surprised anyone but me remembers that Billy Squire video that essentially ended his career.
I vote it the worst video in music history!
But it does have a lot of shock value and comedy value. I was agog, and couldn't believe it, the first time I saw it!
LOL Well I had a gay brother so I was kinda used to seeing stuff like that and was like....meh...as so many entertainers were closeted gays at that time that it came as no shock to me, so I really didn't care.

I was an exception as most everyone else voted with their feet and that pretty much ended his singles career, which was a shame, cause he was one hell of a talent and put out some great songs and albums. I do agree....worst music video of all time even though Rock Me Tonight was a great song.

Last edited:
LOL Well I had a gay brother so I was kinda used to seeing stuff like that and was like....meh...as so many entertainers were closeted gays at that time that it came as no shock to me, so I really didn't care.

I was an exception as most everyone else voted with their feet and that pretty much ended his singles career, which was a shame, cause he was one hell of a talent and put out some great songs and albums. I do agree....worst music video of all time even though Rock Me Tonight was a great song.

Billy Squire has some really good tunes.

The most hilarious comment about that video I ever read, was the broken English of German rocker Rudolf Schenker.

"I liked [him] very much," says Rudolf Schenker of Scorpions, "but then I saw him doing this video in a very terrible way. I couldn't take the music serious anymore."

Billy Squire has some really good tunes.

The most hilarious comment about that video I ever read, was the broken English of German rocker Rudolf Schenker.
LOL Billy did bounce back in the 90's but it just goes to show you how fickle fame can be. Prince did the same shit and no one batted an eye because it was Prince.

Sorry...but back in the day those of us who took our Rock seriously listened to Metallica...unless you were gay and into the LA hair scene. Then you listened to Crue.

No band did more to kill Rock in the 80’s than Mottley Crue. They came along and Grunge, Metal and Alternative got replaced by Hair, Hair, Hair...after the LA Hair scene people said “Fuck this lame shit I’d rather listen to Snoop Dog”.

This is probably the most visceral takedown of Crüe the thread has to offer. I now have to seriously re-evaluate them, because, anyone so terrifying as to drive people to listen to Snoop, is potentially a public menace.

This is probably the most visceral takedown of Crüe the thread has to offer. I now have to seriously re-evaluate them, because, anyone so terrifying as to drive people to listen to Snoop, is potentially a public menace.

Well....I wouldn't....dare I say it...call Snoop Dog a "Public Enemy".

Metallica was also a band that was overrated. I saw them live and really wasn't all that impressed, they were just a bit more "thrash" than I was into. But that's me.

Who the hell listened to Snoop Dog????

Metallica is the only band that was consistently good in the genre. Everyone else was hit or miss, but, I can pretty much enjoy anything by them. The Unforgiven is a personal favorite of mine.

LOL Billy did bounce back in the 90's but it just goes to show you how fickle fame can be. Prince did the same shit and no one batted an eye because it was Prince.

Okay, so, I just watched Billy Squier and Bowie/Jagger back-to-back. Dancing in the Street is still more painful than Rock Me Tonight. I mean, at least real people actually do what Squier does, albeit without a camera filming them.

Metallica is the only band that was consistently good in the genre. Everyone else was hit or miss, but, I can pretty much enjoy anything by them. The Unforgiven is a personal favorite of mine.

I'm not saying I don't like a few of their songs, but after seeing them live, I didn't think they're in the top 20 of the bands I've seen live. It is what it is.

Okay, so, I just watched Billy Squier and Bowie/Jagger back-to-back. Dancing in the Street is still more painful than Rock Me Tonight. I mean, at least real people actually do what Squier does, albeit without a camera filming them.

I saw Billy Squier back in the 80's. They blew Def Leppard off the stage.

I'm not saying I don't like a few of their songs, but after seeing them live, I didn't think they're in the top 20 of the bands I've seen live. It is what it is.
I would put them in the top 20 of Heavy Metal Bands....but not the top five. Then again I've seen Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Van Halen, Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult...all of whom I enjoyed more than Metallica.

In fact none of those came close to Led Zeppelin in concert. AC/DC was a lot of fun and no one puts on a better show than Kiss or Alice Cooper but when you put the whole package together, the music, atmosphere, the energy, the show...Zeppelin walked off and left the others behind.

I was never much of a Crue fan, although I'll admit I like a few of their songs. I always thought they were overrated though.
There's no question they partied their collective asses off, and from what I've heard, their concerts showed it. I never saw them.
They can't hold a candle to the likes of Dio, Iron Maiden, or Judas Priest (to name 3), but very few others can. JMHO.

Judas Priest sucks balls.

Couldn’t agree more. Unquestionably Metallica was the greatest heavy metal band of that era and they had to leave LA and get away from the Hair, Hair, Hair scene to prove it.

When I think of Motley Crue I think of the Song Cherry Bomb...and it wasn’t even one of their songs! LOL

It might as well as been.

I liked Great White Ratt Snake Poison, except they only had one good song.

The only good band from their entire genre was Guns and Roses.

With all due respect; that sucked like I thought it would.

I am the first to admit I was cranking a lot of cheese metal in the 80s. My car stereo speakers were routinely cranking Ratt, Quiet Riot, Crue, and Def Leppard.

In my defense, I avoided Boy George, Vanilla Ice, Duran Duran, and Milli Vanili like the plague -- which a crap load of other people did not!

I am the first to admit I was cranking a lot of cheese metal in the 80s. My car stereo speakers were routinely cranking Ratt, Quiet Riot, Crue, and Def Leppard.

In my defense, I avoided Boy George, Vanilla Ice, Duran Duran, and Milli Vanili like the plague -- which a crap load of other people did not!

Sadly for you, that was the golden era of the Who, Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd etc.

I had an auto reverse cassette player when The Wall came out and I played it for a month straight.

Back