Motley Crue on Netflix

last time I dropped acid - i watched the wall with some girl. outstanding video

Are all these your guitars? ... ... Um, Can I get a drink of water? You want ... Do you wanna take bath? ...
Are you feeling okay?

Supposed to be making a comeback but I haven't seen any. Last time I tripped was at a Dead show at the absolutely beautiful Saratoga Springs campus in N.Y.
It seems an era has passed, especially since Jerry died.

Say what you will. They did get better, most bands that have long careers get better. They stood the test of time and produced some good music on the way.
Boston is one example of a band that had a great debut album but couldn't better it. They weren't too bad live back then, but I've heard they really suck now.

But their first album was SO good.
Just like Van Halen though, from the same timeframe, their first album kicked ass then it seemed like corporate stooges took over.

AC/DC is personal for me, as I quit drinking during the Bon Scott transition and the band remained in my drunken past.

There has never been a rock vocalist like Bon Scott, before or since his death. Because of the style he used in AD/DC, people do not realize the guy was actually technically a very good singer. There is some video of some of the Australian bands Bon played in before AC/DC, including a folk rock band which showcases Bon's quite good singing voice.

Another thing most people don't realize: Powerage is the best AC/DC album by a country mile, and I actually rank it in the top five rock albums of all time without hesitation. When you get right down to it, those first five AC/DC albums with Bon Scott set the standard for their style, totally revolutionized how people ultimately came to consider good hard rock, and as a body of work they totally blew away the Brian Johnson era -- even as good as the album Back in Black was. And I actually like Brian Johnson.

Just my two cents.

Yeah!

But their first album was SO good.
Just like Van Halen though, from the same timeframe, their first album kicked ass then it seemed like corporate stooges took over.

AC/DC is personal for me, as I quit drinking during the Bon Scott transition and the band remained in my drunken past.

Yes and we could name a few more who were just a "flash-in-the-pan."

I liked AC/DC from the beginning for their musical talent, simple, yet "catchy" hooks and they rocked. They continued to for many many years.

You’re a bit off topic Rune. Those were all prog rock bands, of whom one band you can guess I was particularly fond of, but were talking about metal bands.

I would say the Who, amirite?

As I have aged and my evenings home gotten longer while my hair and beard got shorter I have come to realize that Pink Floyd isn't the best rock band because it is the only band in a genre all by itself.

I've only seen videos of Bon's performances. I'd say Brian was a good choice. They were good and got better as a band, neither vocalist would have changed that.
Meh....I saw both in concert...and Bon Scott was the better front man...not that Brian wasn't very good...he was. Bon also had a better chemistry with Angus Young it seemed. Bon just had a charisma and sense of humor that Brian lacked. Again...no knock on Brian...replacing Bon was next to impossible and he did it. Damned few have ever accomplished what he did...replacing a rock legend.

Can you imagine anyone replacing Jim Morrison of the Doors? No? Me either...and that's what makes Brian great. He replaced a legend and did it in how own way.

Having said that I enjoyed the concert that Bon fronted more.

There has never been a rock vocalist like Bon Scott, before or since his death. Because of the style he used in AD/DC, people do not realize the guy was actually technically a very good singer. There is some video of some of the Australian bands Bon played in before AC/DC, including a folk rock band which showcases Bon's quite good singing voice.

Another thing most people don't realize: Powerage is the best AC/DC album by a country mile, and I actually rank it in the top five rock albums of all time without hesitation. When you get right down to it, those first five AC/DC albums with Bon Scott set the standard for their style, totally revolutionized how people ultimately came to consider good hard rock, and as a body of work they totally blew away the Brian Johnson era -- even as good as the album Back in Black was. And I actually like Brian Johnson.

Just my two cents.

Yea I basically agree and that's no knock on Brian....he did one hell of a job. BnB was the sixth best selling rock album in US history. Can't fault him there...but Bon was something special and it just wasn't his vocal qualities...he was just one hell of a fun frontman.

I would say the Who, amirite?

As I have aged and my evenings home gotten longer while my hair and beard got shorter I have come to realize that Pink Floyd isn't the best rock band because it is the only band in a genre all by itself.
I wouldn't go that far. There are a lot of great prog rock bands just different styles. The Allen Parsons Project, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Rush, David Bowie in his Ziggy Star Dust character, Yes may not have produced as many great songs as Floyd but they were technically superior musicians across the board. Give Floyd their credit though...no one can pull on your emotions like they do. In that respect that are a "one and only" band.

Yes and we could name a few more who were just a "flash-in-the-pan."

I liked AC/DC from the beginning for their musical talent, simple, yet "catchy" hooks and they rocked. They continued to for many many years.

I'm a 90s kid. In the latter half, nearly every alternative band was a flash-in-the-pan."

Yea I basically agree and that's no knock on Brian....he did one hell of a job. BnB was the sixth best selling rock album in US history. Can't fault him there...but Bon was something special and it just wasn't his vocal qualities...he was just one hell of a fun frontman.

He was the perfect hard rock front man - hard drinking, heavily tattooed, great stage presence; a great hard rock voice, more of a growl than a traditional melody. Totally iconic, totally unique, and unreplicated.
I also do not think people remember the irreverent humour Bon had, and brought to those early AC/DC songs - there is no way Brian Johnson and the Young brothers could have come up with the lyrics to "Big Balls". That was classic Bon Scott in every way.

In terms of voice quality, I submit that Freddy Mercury had the best (and certainly the most well-trained) of all-time. I guess it's quite impressive for a metal vocalist to have a good voice, though.

In terms of voice quality, I submit that Freddy Mercury had the best (and certainly the most well-trained) of all-time. I guess it's quite impressive for a metal vocalist to have a good voice, though.

Freddie Mercury was a great singer, though I doubt most genuine head bangers would consider Queen to be metal. They kind of were a unique genre onto themselves.

Metal has had more than its share of technically proficient singers: Bruce Dickenson (Maiden), Dio, Klaus Meine (Scorps) to name a few.

He was the perfect hard rock front man - hard drinking, heavily tattooed, great stage presence; a great hard rock voice, more of a growl than a traditional melody. Totally iconic, totally unique, and unreplicated.
I also do not think people remember the irreverent humour Bon had, and brought to those early AC/DC songs - there is no way Brian Johnson and the Young brothers could have come up with the lyrics to "Big Balls". That was classic Bon Scott in every way.

Or a "Whole lot of Rosie".

Freddie Mercury was a great singer, though I doubt most genuine head bangers would consider Queen to be metal. They kind of were a unique genre onto themselves.

Metal has had more than its share of technically proficient singers: Bruce Dickenson (Maiden), Dio, Klaus Meine (Scorps) to name a few.

Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate that. Queen was traditional rock n' roll with recent (70s) influences. They influenced people who came after them, of course.

Like I said, it's impressive to find technically proficient metal singers. The same with grunge, where the vocal creativity of Chris Cornell helped set Soundgarden ahead of most of the rest.

Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate that. Queen was traditional rock n' roll with recent (70s) influences. They influenced people who came after them, of course.

Like I said, it's impressive to find technically proficient metal singers. The same with grunge, where the vocal creativity of Chris Cornell helped set Soundgarden ahead of most of the rest.

Too right you are about Queen.

Chris Cornell (RIP) was an outstanding singer with incredible range.

You know who absolutely cannot sing for sh*t, but I still dig him? Lemmy of Motorhead. I mean, its not even singing is it? More like guttural howls. Well, even so I still dig Lemmy and Motorhead, even if that makes me a bad person!

Back