Mountain West Conference

These football threads are fun to read AFTER the games have taken place.
Big Sky, Shmig Sky!

Florida remains at #1
Miami goes from #20 to #9. 2-0 v ranked teams.
Unranked Fla. State goes to #18.

Oregon knocks off Utah, FSU murders BYU, Wahington 0-15 coming into 2009, knocks off USC. Boise St didn't exactly stifle Fresno St.

Come on down boys, the water's fine!

We are afraid of each other more than we are afraid of anyone else.

One of the things we see all year is these high flying offenses that score 60 points a game. But that play people with no defense.
Well we'll have a better feel for the SEC after next weekend but giving how they looked this last weekend there's no way Florida and LSU will go through their schedule undefeated. There the two most over rated teams in the SEC. Both will have 2 or 3 loses by the end of the regular season. Right now it looks like Bama and Ole Miss are the best two teams. Auborn could surprise some folks too. Who ever wins the SEC west will crush the SEC east champ. Excuse me. Did I say Florida and LSU were the most over rated team in the SEC? I'm wrong, that distinction belongs to Georgia. In another week or two GA will be out of the top 25. They'll be lucky to win 7 games this year. Kentucky is probably a better team then GA.

I was really impressed with Iowa this weekend. Their QB is probably the best kept secret in the country. That kid is good. I wish Tyrelle had his mechanics. Big 10 is looking a lot better than last year. Michigan is back with a vengence and rolling up a lot of points, Penn State is a beast, OSU is strong as ussual and both Iowa and Wisconsin look good. Minnessotta looks like they could pull off some upsets too.

Last edited:
Yea Muskinghum! I've heaved a lung more than once going up the Malta Wall on the other side of the river. Damned 12% grade. It's like riding up a wall.
My wife went to college there. For some reason Presidential candidates love to stop by New Concorde. It's beyond my comprehension. However, there is no way you can go to college there without getting in shape...

Well we'll have a better feel for the SEC after next weekend but giving how they looked this last weekend there's no way Florida and LSU will go through their schedule undefeated. There the two most over rated teams in the SEC. Both will have 2 or 3 loses by the end of the regular season. Right now it looks like Bama and Ole Miss are the best two teams. Auborn could surprise some folks too. Who ever wins the SEC west will crush the SEC east champ. Excuse me. Did I say Florida and LSU were the most over rated team in the SEC? I'm wrong, that distinction belongs to Georgia. In another week or two GA will be out of the top 25. They'll be lucky to win 7 games this year. Kentucky is probably a better team then GA.

I was really impressed with Iowa this weekend. Their QB is probably the best kept secret in the country. That kid is good. I wish Tyrelle had his mechanics. Big 10 is looking a lot better than last year. Michigan is back with a vengence and rolling up a lot of points, Penn State is a beast, OSU is strong as ussual and both Iowa and Wisconsin look good. Minnessotta looks like they could pull off some upsets too.

I don't think the game against TN showed us anything about the Gators. TN has a defense. And Kiffin was playing to beat the spread, not to win. He had his defensive backs 30 yards deep.

My wife went to college there. For some reason Presidential candidates love to stop by New Concorde. It's beyond my comprehension. However, there is no way you can go to college there without getting in shape...
Yea, those hills may not be like the mountains of colorado there in Muskingum but those suckers go straight up, don't they? Pretty little town and that's a top notch liberal arts college your wife went to.

I don't think the game against TN showed us anything about the Gators. TN has a defense. And Kiffin was playing to beat the spread, not to win. He had his defensive backs 30 yards deep.
It's also possible that the Gators were sand bagging it to but be that as it may. The Gators did not look impressive. I might have to eat crow on Florida. Their schedule looks weak. The only tough opponents they have are LSWho and Florida State. Maybe Kentucky or Miss State can pull of an upset but I don't think GA, SC or Arkansas can.

It's also possible that the Gators were sand bagging it to but be that as it may. The Gators did not look impressive. I might have to eat crow on Florida. Their schedule looks weak. The only tough opponents they have are LSWho and Florida State. Maybe Kentucky or Miss State can pull of an upset but I don't think GA, SC or Arkansas can.

Bama will see in the SEC Championship.

I dunno, in one of those, lifes not fair scenarios, Bama has a tougher schedule then Florida considering they have to play LSU, Auburn and Ole Miss while Florida only plays LSU. Next closest to those teams Florida has is GA and FL.ST. LSU Florida will be a big game cause that's when we'll know how good Florida reall is. If Florida is looking past KY to LSWho, they might get handed their heads.

I think you have a great team and great players on Bama. I don't have that much confidence in your coach.
He's super ultra conservative and has never shown the consistency that Carroll, Tressel or Meyer has shown. In a conference with such dynamic coaches as Nutt, Tiffin, Meyer, Brooks and Spurrier, I think retro-Saban is a bit of an artifact. Personally I think Bama made a mistake in signing Saban. He's never shown loyalty to a team and he's not the most consistant coach in the world. I think Bama could have done much better than Saban. You watch, if Bama has a couple of years where they don't go to the SEC championship game, Saban will drop ya'll like a bad habit and move on the greener (emphasis added) pastures.

I think you have a great team and great players on Bama. I don't have that much confidence in your coach.
He's super ultra conservative and has never shown the consistency that Carroll, Tressel or Meyer has shown. In a conference with such dynamic coaches as Nutt, Tiffin, Meyer, Brooks and Spurrier, I think retro-Saban is a bit of an artifact. Personally I think Bama made a mistake in signing Saban. He's never shown loyalty to a team and he's not the most consistant coach in the world. I think Bama could have done much better than Saban. You watch, if Bama has a couple of years where they don't go to the SEC championship game, Saban will drop ya'll like a bad habit and move on the greener (emphasis added) pastures.

I don't know of many pastures that are greener.

But, for the sake of argument, lets say you are right. Saban leaves. We will have already had his recruiting for several years and back on top. The next coach will have a great start, and will continue to win with those players.

The downfall of Bama started with the hiring of Mike Dubose. He was recommended by Gene Stallings. Stallings was told to retire but a new university president. The president was going to bring in a big name. Frank Beamer was at the top of his list. But once Stallings recommended Dubose, the president couldn't have hired anyone else without having riots on campus and losing donations by alumni.

I don't know of many pastures that are greener.

But, for the sake of argument, lets say you are right. Saban leaves. We will have already had his recruiting for several years and back on top. The next coach will have a great start, and will continue to win with those players.

The downfall of Bama started with the hiring of Mike Dubose. He was recommended by Gene Stallings. Stallings was told to retire but a new university president. The president was going to bring in a big name. Frank Beamer was at the top of his list. But once Stallings recommended Dubose, the president couldn't have hired anyone else without having riots on campus and losing donations by alumni.
and then it from bad to worse with Price and Shula. In Cincinnati we mark the beginning of the Bungles reign of futility with the hiring of his brother Dave.

and then it from bad to worse with Price and Shula. In Cincinnati we mark the beginning of the Bungles reign of futility with the hiring of his brother Dave.

Price might not have been a bad coach. We don't know, he never coached a day before he was fired for frolicking with strippers.

Shula was completely incompetent.

In the meantime, 3 of the top 5 teams in the AP Coaches Poll are in the SEC with Penn St. number 5. 2 of only 3 teams receiving 1st place votes are SEC teams.
As a former Big Tenner,(once an Illini raised in N.D. territory) I understand the frustration. Things have changed in college football over the years, the steel mill towns, once prime Big Ten recruiting territory have given way to the fields of the South for producing prime players, the difference being speed not bulk. The SEC's game is different than the Big Ten's based on that fact, Notre Dame, though not in the Big Ten is yet another fading example of a past power for the same reasons. Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, etc would be patsies in the SEC, not even up to the 2nd tier teams. Granted, Pa St. and Ohio St. have recruiting power nationwide, that is what sets them apart from the rest of their league. Penn St, the "Beast" has yet to come up against a ranked opponent.
Don't count Florida out yet, 2 out of 3 ain't bad and 3 out of 4 will be even better, especially for an "overrated" league.

Last edited:
In the meantime, 3 of the top 5 teams in the AP Coaches Poll are in the SEC with Penn St. number 5. 2 of only 3 teams receiving 1st place votes are SEC teams.
As a former Big Tenner,(once an Illini raised in N.D. territory) I understand the frustration. Things have changed in college football over the years, the steel mill towns, once prime Big Ten recruiting territory have given way to the fields of the South for producing prime players, the difference being speed not bulk. The SEC's game is different than the Big Ten's based on that fact, Notre Dame, though not in the Big Ten is yet another fading example of a past power for the same reasons. Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, etc would be patsies in the SEC, not even up to the 2nd tier teams. Granted, Pa St. and Ohio St. have recruiting power nationwide, that is what sets them apart from the rest of their league. Penn St, the "Beast" has yet to come up against a ranked opponent.
Don't count Florida out yet, 2 out of 3 ain't bad and 3 out of 4 will be even better, especially for an "overrated" league.
I have heard that over and over again for over 20 years. The steel town part is true. The Speed vs Bulk is a bunch of Baloney. I bet OSU has more players with sub 4.5 40 speed then either Bama or Florida. What is true is that we don't have a play off and there's no way in the world to tell "Who has the best conference" other then there are a lot of southern sportwriters. Maybe the SEC is #1 because there are more journalism majors coming out of SEC schools then any other conference. My only frustration is that we don't have a play off system to dispell the SEC myth. You ever notice that the SEC runs away from non-conference competition and in Bowl games they seed higher rated SEC teams against lower rated opponents (and by that I don't neccessarily mean polls. How often do they put the #2 SEC team against the #3 or #4 Big 10 of Big 12 team?) usually in some southern city and then blow a lot of smoke about their superiority. That's all's it is. Smoke and hot air. Until we have a national championship tournament and the SEC can win 3 or 4 in a row, then I might start to believe.

I have heard that over and over again for over 20 years. The steel town part is true. The Speed vs Bulk is a bunch of Baloney. I bet OSU has more players with sub 4.5 40 speed then either Bama or Florida. What is true is that we don't have a play off and there's no way in the world to tell "Who has the best conference" other then there are a lot of southern sportwriters. Maybe the SEC is #1 because there are more journalism majors coming out of SEC schools then any other conference. My only frustration is that we don't have a play off system to dispell the SEC myth. You ever notice that the SEC runs away from non-conference competition and in Bowl games they seed higher rated SEC teams against lower rated opponents (and by that I don't neccessarily mean polls. How often do they put the #2 SEC team against the #3 or #4 Big 10 of Big 12 team?) usually in some southern city and then blow a lot of smoke about their superiority. That's all's it is. Smoke and hot air. Until we have a national championship tournament and the SEC can win 3 or 4 in a row, then I might start to believe.

I think the biggest difference between OSU and either FL or Bama is the use of the speed.

Typically, the better teams in the SEC put as much speed on the defense as the offense. Sometimes more speed on D.

When I watch TX, OK, or OSU (though not so much OSU), I see high scoring games because the defense can't keep up with the receivers. In the better SEC games I see receivers having to fight for the ball because the cornerbacks matched them step for step.

Back to the original question. Yes, I think the Mountain West should get a BCS berth.

Back