Musings on the N word

So if some liberal tells you a word is offensive you would stop using it and have no complaints? Again, I can't imagine you would accept that.

If some liberal tells me a word is offensive but excuses the use of that word selectively I would find their stance hypocritical.

How's that?

If some liberal tells me a word is offensive but excuses the use of that word selectively I would find their stance hypocritical.

How's that?

Fair enough. For me I don't spend that much time thinking about the n-word. I don't care that black people choose to use it. It doesn't bother me it doesn't offend me. You seem to feel different. If that's the case then that's your right.

I took you off ignore so your punk ass can talk to me instead of whining like a bitch to other people .. many of whom you used to call friend.

You are so pathetically obsessed by me that you're reduced to timing my responses .. based on your own inabilities. I don't use Google, but how long do you think it took me to search 'elvis costello racist' .. see the video there on the first page .. watch the video which is 53 seconds .. form a response and post it? That may take your dumb ass an hour .. but it's an EASY 5 minutes for me.

You want to make this personal .. good, I'm in. Start from here .. I'm smarter than you are. The above is just one demonstration of that.

Perhaps in your new found persona you don't like being less smart than a black guy. If that's the case, that only makes this more fun.

Notice that during all of this .. I rarely say your name .. rarely even mention you .. and even then, only in passing response to your dementia. I've not berated anyone on this board because they agree with you. In fact, I don't think of you at all .. I put your stupid ass on ignore.

I find you to be a huge waste of my time .. but you're a bitch .. you whine like a bitch .. and I'm sure that many of the people I like .. have always liked regardless of differing positions on anything .. are tired of listening to your whining like a pregnant cow.

So if you have a problem with me .. talk to me you fucking clown.

Stop being a bitch.

Ah - the ol' "I'm smarter than you." So insecure.

I've tried talking to you...but you put me on ignore, remember? And it wasn't because I was being a "bitch." It was because you couldn't face your own hypocrisy over Carter agreeing with me.

As for Costello, you know & I know that you only searched later, and that's enough for me. Had you searched right away, you would have mentioned that in your reply to Tom when he asked; anyone would.

Fair enough. For me I don't spend that much time thinking about the n-word. I don't care that black people choose to use it. It doesn't bother me it doesn't offend me. You seem to feel different. If that's the case then that's your right.

Now whenever I see the N word I know the person using it is thinking nigger. Why say N word? Everyone knows what you mean.

In rather ironic timing my (black) friend just texted me "what's up my n*gga". Due to my relationship with him I could text back the same and it wouldn't be a problem however it's not something I would do.

I've stated before growing up in Oakland I knew a couple of white kids who grew up in black neighborhoods and used the n-word a lot. By those they knew they were accepted. However that is a far cry from someone like Riley Cooper saying 'I'm going to kick every n*ggers ass here'.

In rather ironic timing my (black) friend just texted me "what's up my n*gga". Due to my relationship with him I could text back the same and it wouldn't be a problem however it's not something I would do.

I've stated before growing up in Oakland I knew a couple of white kids who grew up in black neighborhoods and used the n-word a lot. By those they knew they were accepted. However that is a far cry from someone like Riley Cooper saying 'I'm going to kick every n*ggers ass here'.

It's all about intent when it's used, anytime. I mean, lots of folks use the "n word" during intellectual discussions about the "n word", and obviously, that is not intended for hate, and most people do not take offense.

Cooper's usage was different; clearly, that was hate speech. The reaction? Probably over the top, but that's the way we are today.

I do find it weird when I hear panel discussions where they talk about it being okay when it ends with an "a", but not an "r." Not my call, though. I don't use either, and won't.

It's all about intent when it's used, anytime. I mean, lots of folks use the "n word" during intellectual discussions about the "n word", and obviously, that is not intended for hate, and most people do not take offense.

Cooper's usage was different; clearly, that was hate speech. The reaction? Probably over the top, but that's the way we are today.

I do find it weird when I hear panel discussions where they talk about it being okay when it ends with an "a", but not an "r." Not my call, though. I don't use either, and won't.

I agree it's about intent. Yeah as for the er or a debate that's beyond me

Now whenever I see the N word I know the person using it is thinking nigger. Why say N word? Everyone knows what you mean.

Because I don't want to say the other. Just like I would type f*** rather than the word if I was using it in some way here. I'm not a black dude talking up my gansta bro, and they know it. I have no need to use the word, but may have a need to talk about you using it, for instance.

Ah - the ol' "I'm smarter than you." So insecure.

I've tried talking to you...but you put me on ignore, remember? And it wasn't because I was being a "bitch." It was because you couldn't face your own hypocrisy over Carter agreeing with me.

As for Costello, you know & I know that you only searched later, and that's enough for me. Had you searched right away, you would have mentioned that in your reply to Tom when he asked; anyone would.

You now have the imprimatur of a Rune groan so that confirms that you are right.

Because I don't want to say the other. Just like I would type f*** rather than the word if I was using it in some way here. I'm not a black dude talking up my gansta bro, and they know it. I have no need to use the word, but may have a need to talk about you using it, for instance.

Still doesn't explain how the word was used in prime time TV comedy shows in the seventies, what changed?

Shows like All in the Family, a clone of Till Death Us Do Part, aimed to shock people into awareness. I doubt that Johnny Speight would have thought it an improvement to go around using euphemisms like N-word all the time. I'm pretty sure that he expected that such words would no longer have any power to offend by now.

Last edited:
Shows like All in the Family, a clone of Till Death Us Do Part, aimed to shock people into awareness. I doubt that Johnny Speight would have thought it an improvement to go around using euphemisms like N-word all the time. I'm pretty sure that he expected that such words would no longer have any power to offend by now.

I also imagine Johnny Speight didn't think people would actually take Alf Garnett to heart as a positive role model. Sadly, a minority of British people were/are incredibly stupid.

I can't say that i really miss the standard 60s-70s sit-com, generally involving a black family moving into the neighbourhood and all the knockabout racist hijinks which followed. I can't say sit-coms have improved much, in terms of being funny, but the lack of plots revolving around the repetition of various derogatory descriptions of minorities, and their negative effect on house prices, is a welcome step forward.

I also imagine Johnny Speight didn't think people would actually take Alf Garnett to heart as a positive role model. Sadly, a minority of British people were/are incredibly stupid.

I can't say that i really miss the standard 60s-70s sit-com, generally involving a black family moving into the neighbourhood and all the knockabout racist hijinks which followed. I can't say sit-coms have improved much, in terms of being funny, but the lack of plots revolving around the repetition of various derogatory descriptions of minorities, and their negative effect on house prices, is a welcome step forward.

They were a product of their time and of course some people thought Alf was a positive role model. I watched Mrs. Brown's Boys the other night, what a load of shite that was. The Beeb has really plumbed the depths with that so called comedy.

Last edited:
They were a product of their time and of course some people thought Alf was a positive role model. I watched Mrs. Brown's Boys the other night, what a load of shite that was. The Beeb has really plumbed the depths with that so called comedy.

On the Mrs Brown's Boys issue we stand as one. I honestly don't know how people watch it without recourse to incredibly potent horse tranquillisers.

That Ben Eltons thing stunk the place out as well.

On the Mrs Brown's Boys issue we stand as one. I honestly don't know how people watch it without recourse to incredibly potent horse tranquillisers.

That Ben Eltons thing stunk the place out as well.

I don't know what the fuck happened to Ben Elton, he seems to have gone from l'enfant terrible to just terrible!!

Back