Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

It must have been something else I thanked, because I don't know what that is. lol

Addendum: Just googled it. Have not read the Wheel of Time series, if that's what you are referring to. Looks great though; will check it out. Sci-fi and fantasy are two favorite genres. I really like the indie authors too, and their affordable e-books. Did you ever read "The Name of the Wind"? And then the sequel? And then get really really pissed that Patrick "FameWhore" Rothfuss has yet to finish the trilogy???

Ah. It's a series of epic high fantasy novels by the late Robert Jordan. I'm currently re-listening to the series on audiobook.

Wonderful, I am also a new fan of fantasy. I use to read a lot of sci-fi but switched to studying the history of Christianity, I was a cradle Catholic that knew nothing of my religion except liturgical rites, some Cannon law and the Catechism. I found Joseph Campbell, Karen Armstrong, who are my favorites, and got hooked.

Interesting. I was raised Lutheran, converted to Catholic on my search for my own path, then moved on again. My younger kids were raised in the RCC although they barely recall it now. I was surprised at how little Catholics, both children attending either PSR or the parochial school, and the adults, were taught about the actual Bible, words of Christ, and the history of the Church itself. As non-Synod Lutherans, we attended 90 mins of Sunday school, followed by another 90 mins. of church service, every damn Sunday. When we were 12 we had to attend Catechism class on Saturday mornings for 3 hours, for an entire year. We had to memorize all of the liturgy, the prayers, a good lot of the Bible, and were taught about both Jesus's life and the historical times He lived in. It wasn't till decades later that I found out that this is pretty much a Protestant norm, and even more so for the non-denominational fundie churches.

Were your travels on your path good? You learned beneficial things?

Interesting. I was raised Lutheran, converted to Catholic on my search for my own path, then moved on again. My younger kids were raised in the RCC although they barely recall it now. I was surprised at how little Catholics, both children attending either PSR or the parochial school, and the adults, were taught about the actual Bible, words of Christ, and the history of the Church itself. As non-Synod Lutherans, we attended 90 mins of Sunday school, followed by another 90 mins. of church service, every damn Sunday. When we were 12 we had to attend Catechism class on Saturday mornings for 3 hours, for an entire year. We had to memorize all of the liturgy, the prayers, a good lot of the Bible, and were taught about both Jesus's life and the historical times He lived in. It wasn't till decades later that I found out that this is pretty much a Protestant norm, and even more so for the non-denominational fundie churches.

Indeed, and I am still learning. I reject all religions as man made. I am a spiritual person, and believe as Iris DeMent sings, “I let the mystery be” and do no harm.

Many Christian followers have sold theirs souls to the Republican Party,and there perverted leaders.

Awesome.... thanks.

I took a 6-week immersion class this summer called "Kinomaage". It roughly translates to "The Earth is our teacher and shows us the way." We spent entire days outside in the woods, the hills, the shorelines, the bogs. There was a LOT of reading. Like tons. And lots of writing of papers and research. One thing I learned was the science of how the plants and trees in a forest are interconnected, and how they use chemical signals to communicate with each other. For instance, "mother trees" will secrete nutrients to nourish their "children" who spring up around them.... but emit other chemicals that discourage non-family plants from moving into the family area. We learned to find these things going on in the woods on our treks. It was one of the most interesting and educational courses I've ever taken.

Indeed, and I am still learning. I reject all religions as man made. I am a spiritual person, and believe as Iris DeMent sings, “I let the mystery be” and do no harm.

Yes. That's how it is. I'm glad to have found a sister here. Never stop seeking.

Sweet, a fellow gardener! Did you garden while you lived in Alaska?
Yes, I did and must say, it’s two different worlds. I am learning here. Annuals did very well in Alaska, they don’t get as big in Texas. The growing season in Alaska is short, but the midnight sun does great things in a shorter period of time.

It must have been something else I thanked, because I don't know what that is. lol

Addendum: Just googled it. Have not read the Wheel of Time series, if that's what you are referring to. Looks great though; will check it out. Sci-fi and fantasy are two favorite genres. I really like the indie authors too, and their affordable e-books. Did you ever read "The Name of the Wind"? And then the sequel? And then get really really pissed that Patrick "FameWhore" Rothfuss has yet to finish the trilogy???

I'm sorry, I missed your addendum. Getting sleepy, long day at work. Yes, I "read" (I usually do audiobooks, as I don't have a lot of free time to read actual books these days) the two Rothfuss books, and they were two of the best books I've ever read. And yes, it sucks that he doesn't seem much interested in completing book three.

The Wheel of Time series is great fantasy, but it is loooooong, and admittedly some parts of the later books have to be slogged through. Robert Jordan actually died before completing the series, and his widow hired Brandon Sanderson to complete the last two installments (I think there are fourteen). Sanderson is a great author in his own right, and really breathed new life into the series. He has some great series of his own. Mistborn, and, The Stormlight Archives are two of my faves.

If you do check out WOT, I suggest starting with a prequel novel that was written later, but gives a really good foundation for understanding the series. The title is, New Spring.

Yes, I did and must say, it’s two different worlds. I am learning here. Annuals did very well in Alaska, they don’t get as big in Texas. The growing season in Alaska is short, but the midnight sun does great things in a shorter period of time.

Do you keep a notebook journal kind of thing? I'm doing sort of the reverse here. Gardening in STL area/hot humid long growing season... now learning to garden in a very short season. Annuals do amazingly well in cooler climates; not so great in hot/humid where powdery mildew is not your friend.

We got married in our Fairbanks' friends' gardens. It is just amazing what they did with a little bit of land, a ton of work, landscaping, and lots of love.

wedding 2.jpg
wedding 1.jpg (our late friend LeRoy who was our officiant, me, husband, sister of LeRoy who did all this gorgeous)

Pain killers, hoping they pass on their own, and diet restrictions. I feel pretty good; at least while I'm laying in bed anyway. When I get up out of bed, and walk to the living room, I occasionally show my unity by also taking a knee.

You have something in common with Damocles, he's a sufferer too.

Do you keep a notebook journal kind of thing? I'm doing sort of the reverse here. Gardening in STL area/hot humid long growing season... now learning to garden in a very short season. Annuals do amazingly well in cooler climates; not so great in hot/humid where powdery mildew is not your friend.

We got married in our Fairbanks' friends' gardens. It is just amazing what they did with a little bit of land, a ton of work, landscaping, and lots of love.

View attachment 5276
I do keep a journal here, familiarizing myself with these new to me plants. I just puttered and planted what I lived in Alaska, hostas, Rose Tree of China, lilacs, Sitka Rose, Canadian choke cherry, fiddlehead fern, lilies, poppies, peonies, and bleeding hearts for perienniels and trees, the annuals varied every year in planted in pots.

Back