Obama's Tax Plan

Sorry typo. Anyway I just went on payscale.com and the average salary for a Copy Writer in New York City, New York comes in at $65,294
You're hardly doing badly...

Where you live, that might be "rich" but here, on one salary, you get by on it. I'm kind of laughing at your idea of what rich is, but I suppose I shouldn't. Do you mind if I ask what part of the country you live in?

It was certainly worth looking up:

- Leaving aside Social Security income, nearly one of every two elderly people — 46.8 percent — has income below the poverty line.[1]
- Once Social Security benefits are taken into account, just one in twelve — 8.7 percent — is poor.

http://www.cbpp.org/2-24-05socsec.htm

Certainly more than the 2 old wino's that Dano "observed"...

Sigh, thank you for confiming both that you don't read what I write and that what I wrote is correct.
As I said BEFORE, they may seem poor by income, NOT by wealth. Also I am just speaking housing prices, plenty have on top of that pensions, savings and investments (and of course no mortgage payments, plus they eat less and have no kids to pay for).

Trying to judge poverty strictly by income is such a silly thing to do.

Yeah, but we're talking about keeping Social Security viable, and keeping it from bankrupting America. Mathematically, it just doesn't work right now. Increase the dividends/growth, and it might.

No one is worried about auto insurers going bankrupt...

No one should be worried about SS going bankrupt. All it takes to fix the problem is some minor tweaking at the edges, increasing the income cap, increasing the retirement age slightly, etc. . .

If you actually delve into the numbers of the Trustees Report (appointed by Bush who's main focus in 2005 was privatization) the prognosis is not that bad at all. Full benefits through 2041 with 75% of benefits thereafter.

Water... my degree is in economics... I respect your desire to learn and develop your knowledge base, but please don't act as if you have an understanding on economics yet. You obviously do not. While the global economy is certainly becoming more intertwined... it is not completely so.

IF I take a million and invest it in Chinese start-up companies, the Chinese benefit. People in this country will not benefit from that investment. That money may not ever come back to this country as I will likely continue to invest that money over seas.

It you prefer an example closer to home.... If I live in Colorado and invest in a start up in Mississippi.... who benefits the most? The people in CO? or the people in Mississippi? (HINT: Where are the jobs going to be?)

In Mississippi?

Am I right? Boy, I am so coming along on this whole economics thing. Which is good, because Topper said that if I learn how to talk about sports, and learn something about economics, I might be able to get myself a man.

Let me get this straight: in Danoworld, there are a bunch of seniors who live below the poverty line, simply so they can keep their million-dollar homes?

You are seriously out of touch, DeMano...

Where you live, that might be "rich" but here, on one salary, you get by on it. I'm kind of laughing at your idea of what rich is, but I suppose I shouldn't. Do you mind if I ask what part of the country you live in?

I'm in Ohio ("Ohio, the state you should play nice with people who are from it, because their vote actually matters!" - TheDanold)

Yes I say rich, because you do a decent salary and have no kids, but most of all because I can read how well off you are by the usual Liberal signs of delusions about how the poor live.

I'm in Ohio ("Ohio, the state you should play nice with people who are from it, because their vote actually matters!" - TheDanold)

Yes I say rich, because you do a decent salary and have no kids, but most of all because I can read how well off you are by the usual Liberal signs of delusions about how the poor live.

I am nowhere near rich, by nearly any standard in this country. You just sound silly now.

And it's funny how it looks to me like believing that "most poor people have no desire to improve their circumstances" is actually the delusion.

The main problem in our immediate future with SS is that we have spent the surplus and continue to do so. that means in a few years the spent surplus will have to be made up from general revenue. That is gonna hurt, esp considering what our debt is now.

Let me get this straight: in Danoworld, there are a bunch of seniors who live below the poverty line, simply so they can keep their million-dollar homes?

You are seriously out of touch, DeMano...
No, you'll be glad to know you read it wrong as usual. They live in houses worth a decent amount (ie: 200 to 300k) and they don't work to support their houses (hence why I said they make no mortgage payments).

Let me know if you need any more help with basic reading, dumbass!

Well, it isn't an investment. It's insurance.

What type of return do you expect from your health insurance? Auto insurance? Life insurance?

Ummm... wrong.

It most certainly is an investment. It is structured just like an annuity.

Which means you should have upside potential to the money you invest in the plan.

I can vouch for the nature of a $65K income in the tri-state area.

Sure, you can get by, if you live frugally; one unexpected medical emergency or auto repair can kill you, though...

65K is pretty nice income in most parts of Ohio. But you are still not rich on it.

I used to live in Ohio and have relatives living there now.

No, you'll be glad to know you read it wrong as usual. They live in houses worth a decent amount (ie: 200 to 300k) and they don't work to support their houses (hence why I said they make no mortgage payments).

Let me know if you need any more help with basic reading, dumbass!

And you've concluded that "they" have 200-300K homes, in general, by your immense powers of observation & extreme backlog of Danectodal evidence?

In Mississippi?

Am I right? Boy, I am so coming along on this whole economics thing. Which is good, because Topper said that if I learn how to talk about sports, and learn something about economics, I might be able to get myself a man.

LMAO....

congrats! You are indeed correct. You get a gold star for economics for the day and as an added bonus... a MAN!

disclaimer: The man is G W Bush

The main problem in our immediate future with SS is that we have spent the surplus and continue to do so. that means in a few years the spent surplus will have to be made up from general revenue. That is gonna hurt, esp considering what our debt is now.
Good point. (I won't be an asshole and add "for the first time ever") ;)

No one should be worried about SS going bankrupt. All it takes to fix the problem is some minor tweaking at the edges, increasing the income cap, increasing the retirement age slightly, etc. . .

If you actually delve into the numbers of the Trustees Report (appointed by Bush who's main focus in 2005 was privatization) the prognosis is not that bad at all. Full benefits through 2041 with 75% of benefits thereafter.

I remember being told in my teens, that SS would be bankrupt before I was 50 and that I wouldn't see a penny. Wrong.

In a program the size and scope of SS there's always been structual fiscal problems that need to be addressed periodically. Its the same with any large, financial entity - public or private.

LMAO....

congrats! You are indeed correct. You get a gold star for economics for the day and as an added bonus... a MAN!

disclaimer: The man is G W Bush

My very own man? You are too good to me SF! I've never had one before, I wonder how should I dress him?

I am totally ignoring the GW part of this!

Back