Oprah for Prez?

wow! a thread that hasn't devolved into insults, and is thoughtful as well.

I wish you all E Pluribus Unum.

I'm sorry I just ruined it all with a salacious remark. lol

It *is* sweet when our two (or three) sides can discuss things in a civil fashion. Lovebug was right when she said at the end of the day we all want the same things -- security for our families, enough to eat, love, a meaning to our lives.

I'm sorry I just ruined it all with a salacious remark. lol

It *is* sweet when our two (or three) sides can discuss things in a civil fashion. Lovebug was right when she said at the end of the day we all want the same things -- security for our families, enough to eat, love, a meaning to our lives.

:hand: .. but I suggest that your remark did not ruin it, rather an example of the same passionate politics I referred to.

Noise knows that very well.

Pardon my interruption, but would you happen to have any video of that? You know, gladiator movies and stuff......... ;~)

Actually it never quite got to that. Here's BAC's reaction when he saw me coming at him. :)

nvrmnd.gif

America is littered with amazing underdog stories of people who have lived the American dream and give hope to us all. That could be the immigrant who arrives in our country with pennies in their pocket and goes on to do something amazing. Or a kid who grows up in a broken home surrounded by poverty yet perseveres to do amazing things.

And you're right, money isn't the final arbiter of if someone is successful or not. We can look at certain teachers who have had amazing affects on generations of students but never got rich off of it just as one example.

For me as a parent I want to provide my daughter with the all the tools possible that will allow her the opportunity to pursue whatever dream or dreams she has for herself.

So her mother and I have started reading to her at a young age. We will emphasize education with her. I will repeatedly tell her she will be a CEO one day. Not in a way that means if she isn't one that she's a failure but in the sense I want her to think she can do whatever she wants to do. I want her to know and believe everything's possible.

I will definitely brainwash her on USC. Like I said I have A.D.D. and struggled in school and barely got over a 3.0. No way you could get into USC with that today. I want her to dream Stanford or Ivy League if that's what she desires.

I am not rich but she won't grow up (baring something unforeseen happening) without food or basic necessities. She will also grow up with a stable family environment around her. So there shouldn't be any reason for not to be able to excel and do what she wants to do.

But at the end of the day I will love her regardless of what she does because she's my daughter.

When you're USC brainwashing, be sure to name drop Troy and JuJu!

When you're USC brainwashing, be sure to name drop Troy and JuJu!

In my dream world she watches every USC football game with me or better yet, "daddy, can we fly to LA and go the game?" (excuse me while I pause and wipe a tear away just thinking of that...)

JuJu is amazing. He has so much fun on the field I love watching him play.

In my dream world she watches every USC football game with me or better yet, "daddy, can we fly to LA and go the game?" (excuse me while I pause and wipe a tear away just thinking of that...)

I love him too. Can't wait to see my guys on Sunday! Supposed to be 19 degrees, that might put a crimp in the Jags' plans!

You remind me so much of my son-in-law, he who worships the Buffalo Bills. You wouldn't believe all the BB onesies/socks/blankets/wall decorations/toy footballs/etc my 2.5-yo g-daughter has. lol

So cool of dads to share their passions with their little girls. I grew up watching college football with my dad and brothers. Playing basketball with the brothers. And hiking and photography with my dad, and gardening, and rock-hunting, and building things out of wood. He would have been 100 last year. Your little girl will remember you always, daddy, for what you share with her.

I love him too. Can't wait to see my guys on Sunday! Supposed to be 19 degrees, that might put a crimp in the Jags' plans!

JuJu used to ride his bike to practice. I wonder if he's still doing that in 19 degrees weather?? And he's a California kid!

I'm from Ohio so I've never been a Steelers fan and as a 49ers fan I'm envious that the Steelers have passed us in number of Super Bowl victories. But I do love JuJu and he has actually made me root for the Steelers this year. :)

You remind me so much of my son-in-law, he who worships the Buffalo Bills. You wouldn't believe all the BB onesies/socks/blankets/wall decorations/toy footballs/etc my 2.5-yo g-daughter has. lol

So cool of dads to share their passions with their little girls. I grew up watching college football with my dad and brothers. Playing basketball with the brothers. And hiking and photography with my dad, and gardening, and rock-hunting, and building things out of wood. He would have been 100 last year. Your little girl will remember you always, daddy, for what you share with her.

Thank you for sharing that! When we dressed baby girl at the hospital to take her home that first time it was in a USC outfit. :) I wanted her to know from day one that 1) her daddy loved her and 2) she was going to USC haha

My sister has two girls ages ten and seven. The oldest is really into sports and the youngest wants nothing to do with them. I don't know how much influence a parent can have over that. As mentioned in my dream world watching USC football will be a special father-daughter event for her growing up. But obviously I can't force her to enjoy it or even want to do it.

You said you watched with your father. Do you remember it being something they did and you wanted to be a part of it? Or did dad encourage you to watch? Just curious if he did something that peeked your interest in watching.

JuJu used to ride his bike to practice. I wonder if he's still doing that in 19 degrees weather?? And he's a California kid!

I'm from Ohio so I've never been a Steelers fan and as a 49ers fan I'm envious that the Steelers have passed us in number of Super Bowl victories. But I do love JuJu and he has actually made me root for the Steelers this year. :)

He took his driving test and passed so may have gotten a car. I think he lives on the South Side near the practice facility.

Congrats on coming over to the light side, at least for this year!

You said you watched with your father. Do you remember it being something they did and you wanted to be a part of it? Or did dad encourage you to watch? Just curious if he did something that peeked your interest in watching.

They spent fall and winter Sat. afternoons watching college football. My brothers are/were (the younger one passed at age 53 from cancer) quite a bit older than me and I worshiped them, so anything they were doing was cool. They explained the rules of the game and were so super passionate about their teams (OSU for the boys since that's where we lived before moving to STL) and Michigan State for Dad (his alma mater) that it was hard not to become infected too. :~)

Just doing things that you love with your kids will draw them in w/o overt encouragement. Maybe a spark will take, you never know.

They spent fall and winter Sat. afternoons watching college football. My brothers are/were (the younger one passed at age 53 from cancer) quite a bit older than me and I worshiped them, so anything they were doing was cool. They explained the rules of the game and were so super passionate about their teams (OSU for the boys since that's where we lived before moving to STL) and Michigan State for Dad (his alma mater) that it was hard not to become infected too. :~)

Just doing things that you love with your kids will draw them in w/o overt encouragement. Maybe a spark will take, you never know.

By OSU do you mean The Ohio State University?!?! :)

I was born in Columbus and four generations in my family have gone to Ohio State so I'm a huge fan.

Cool! We kids were born in Dayton (exc for oldest bro who was born in St. Louis in the early 40s). We moved to STL in '61. Brothers moved to TX in the 70s.

Back