Origin of Life

No physical evidence because it's too far away, and always will be. The evidence that we have is merely mathematical.

You know that's the same logic the Native Americans used about Eurotrash, right? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do you recall what Stephen Hawking said about it?

2dpb23.jpg

You know that's the same logic the Native Americans used about Eurotrash, right? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do you recall what Stephen Hawking said about it?

I don't know where you're going with the 'same logic" comment. As if that is relevant, which it is not.

Regarding Hawkins, "appeal to authority", and in my opinion he was overrated anyway.

I don't know where you're going with the 'same logic" comment. As if that is relevant, which it is not.

Regarding Hawkins, "appeal to authority", and in my opinion he was overrated anyway.
Sorry man, you lost me. What are you trying to say? That other civilizations can or can't exist?....but they'll never be able to contact us or us them?

Why can't they contact us or vice versa?

Sorry man, you lost me. What are you trying to say? That other civilizations can or can't exist?....but they'll never be able to contact us or us them?

Why can't they contact us or vice versa?

Dude, there are trillions of galaxies in the universe, probably many like ours, and ours has over 2000 solar systems. So the chance of life on another planet somewhere is mathematically very high if not definite. All too far away for any communication.

Dude, there are trillions of galaxies in the universe, probably many like ours, and ours has over 2000 solar systems. So the chance of life on another planet somewhere is mathematically very high if not definite. All too far away for any communication.
Agreed. Weren't we were agreeing that the math is based on guesses?

If you find a single weed in your yard, it's a pretty good fucking guess you have more. If you never have weeds in your yard. Ever. No matter how hard you search, by what logic do you deduce the neighbor has weeds? Did you see them? Do the math. ;)

If you find a single weed in your yard, it's a pretty good fucking guess you have more. If you never have weeds in your yard. Ever. No matter how hard you search, by what logic do you deduce the neighbor has weeds? Did you see them? Do the math. ;)

I think your analogy is poorly thought out at best.

Here on planet Earth scientists have found life just about everywhere. Scientists use these life forms to to clean up wastes, manufacture of foods, beverages, medicines. There are even bacteria that consume hazardous materials such as spilled petroleum n soils and groundwater. In my studies and career I've come to the conclusion that if there is a source of energy, then there will be a life form to consume it.

I think your analogy is poorly thought out at best.

Here on planet Earth scientists have found life just about everywhere. Scientists use these life forms to to clean up wastes, manufacture of foods, beverages, medicines. There are even bacteria that consume hazardous materials such as spilled petroleum n soils and groundwater. In my studies and career I've come to the conclusion that if there is a source of energy, then there will be a life form to consume it.

This is Earth. So far no life on any other planet in the Solar System despite decades of looking. No signs of past life either.

Nice try at ignoring my argument completely.

:oprah:

That's the problem. I can't figure out what the fuck your argument is. I even restated it and you just ignored it. Do you have an argument?

It's all there for you to re-read and try to absorb it a second time.

Awesome. You must be very proud.

Meanwhile, back to the main conversation:
I currently lean towards number two, but keep an open mind.
It would be nice if we had more intel on emergence: the transition from non-life to life. There is zero chance something as mind boggling complex as even a single eukaryotic cell just appeared on the scene without an incredible sequence of interim events. Unless we were seeded from another planetary body.
Three Possible End-Member Scenarios for the Origin of Life

1) The origin of life may have been a miracle.
2) The origin of life was an event fully consistent with chemistry and physics, but one that was almost infinitely unlikely and required an improbable sequence of numerous steps.
3) The universe is organized in such a way that life is an inevitable consequence of chemistry, given an appropriate environment and sufficient time.

Source credit: Dr. Robert Hazen, George Mason University
Agreed. All current evidence and math points to Door #2.

It's not #1 because there's no evidence of magic or supernatural occurrences. If it was #3, we'd be seeing signs of life, even past life, within the Solar System.

Meanwhile, back to the main conversation: Agreed. All current evidence and math points to Door #2.

It's not #1 because there's no evidence of magic or supernatural occurrences. If it was #3, we'd be seeing signs of life, even past life, within the Solar System.

There are other possibilities, not just three.

Meanwhile, back to the main conversation: Agreed. All current evidence and math points to Door #2.

Since those three are endpoints, I intellectually aim for a midpoint bewtween 2 and 3.

2.5 so to speak.

Life in the universe may not be ubiquitous. But it might not be exceedingly rare or unique either. It might just be very uncommon.

Since those three are endpoints, I intellectually aim for a midpoint bewtween 2 and 3.

2.5 so to speak.

Life in the universe may not be ubiquitous. But it might not be exceedingly rare or unique. It might just be very uncommon.

They are 3 generalities. Sure, it might be 2.5, but the options are as you listed them.

I'm still with Door #2. Maybe Perseverance will make me reconsider. :)

Is silicon-based life possible?

Notes I took from Professor Ahern's biochemistry class:

Sulfur, phosphorus, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon, and hydrogen account for the main six elements found in every single living organism we know of.

These elements can make multiple chemical bonds or share electrons to make covalent bonds. This is necessary for making long-chain biomolecules. Other elements abundant in the environment (aluminum, iron, sodium, etc.) cannot do what these elements can do.

Carbon's ability to make four bonds also makes it central to the construction of large and complicated bio-molecules. No other elements in the environment have the ability to from four, complex covalent bonds like carbon. A notable exception is silicon, but carbon is probably a better atom for building larger molecules. Some scientists wonder if silicon-based life is possible on exoplanets.

Back