Pharmaceuticals covering up Cancer Cure

http://www.cellpointweb.com/

If you have the time and don't mind, take a look at the new imaging agent cellpoint is working on. What is your take on the potential?

For full disclosure, it is a firm located about a mile from my office and I hear updates from the management all the time. Just looking for an outside unbiased source. Again, only if you have the time and desire to take a look at it.

This is really exciting work. I can't help but reflect on the overwhelming body of work that has been achieved to reach this point, but it's nevertheless extremely impressive. I mentioned cryptically something about the eclectic nature of different cancers, and the need to consider all the effects of any treatment, not just the targeted effects. Their statement, the R & D section, everything included in their website just kindled a fire in this little researcher's heart! I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at Nobel Prize level work in this group.

Darla, I am a Dr. but a Ph.D., not an M.D. Generally speaking, the majority of MDs don't make good scientists; their education is not geared in that direction at all. I do research and love it. A week or so into my postdoc at NIH, my lab chief laughed and told me I wouldn't last a month in Med. school because I questioned everything; I mean everything. I wanted to know why, what was the source, how was this determined, what else could explain it, etc., etc. That approach is useful in the lab. Plus I have a practical sense that is useful in developing equipment when we need something that doesn't exist.

This is really exciting work. I can't help but reflect on the overwhelming body of work that has been achieved to reach this point, but it's nevertheless extremely impressive. I mentioned cryptically something about the eclectic nature of different cancers, and the need to consider all the effects of any treatment, not just the targeted effects. Their statement, the R & D section, everything included in their website just kindled a fire in this little researcher's heart! I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at Nobel Prize level work in this group.

Darla, I am a Dr. but a Ph.D., not an M.D. Generally speaking, the majority of MDs don't make good scientists; their education is not geared in that direction at all. I do research and love it. A week or so into my postdoc at NIH, my lab chief laughed and told me I wouldn't last a month in Med. school because I questioned everything; I mean everything. I wanted to know why, what was the source, how was this determined, what else could explain it, etc., etc. That approach is useful in the lab. Plus I have a practical sense that is useful in developing equipment when we need something that doesn't exist.

I am glad to hear that. I thought it might be of interest to you. I got kind of excited and that was with a good portion going over my head.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

I didn't know exactly, but I thought it was research scientist. I knew you were really smart.

Damo, SF is following me around the board again. Remember what you said last time?

He tell you to stop smoking crack?

Take a look back... I posted on this thread first today crack smoker... you're the one following me around.

you lose again.

He tell you to stop smoking crack?

Take a look back... I posted on this thread first today crack smoker... you're the one following me around.

you lose again.

Let me think for a second...I think his exact words were something like "he does it again, he will be one sorry mf'er"

I'm glad Thorn offered some rational thought on this thread.

Too many people think cancer is a single disease.

It boils down to a cell growing differently than it should. If it reproduces faster than the normal cells it causes havoc on the systems.

There is no "cure" for cancer. That is like saying there is a cure for disease. It sounds great until you look at the details of each disease and the variety of diseases there are.

We can hope for a treatment that will slow malignant cancer growth, but chances are it will be as dangerous as the cancer.

I'm glad Thorn offered some rational thought on this thread.

Too many people think cancer is a single disease.

It boils down to a cell growing differently than it should. If it reproduces faster than the normal cells it causes havoc on the systems.

There is no "cure" for cancer. That is like saying there is a cure for disease. It sounds great until you look at the details of each disease and the variety of diseases there are.

We can hope for a treatment that will slow malignant cancer growth, but chances are it will be as dangerous as the cancer.

Not so sure about that, though Thorn would certainly be a better resource for answering for sure. But if they can figure out a way to target the cancer cells ... maybe by attaching a glucose compound to a radioactive agent, they could end up killing the cancer without causing much collateral damage to surrounding cells.

Not so sure about that, though Thorn would certainly be a better resource for answering for sure. But if they can figure out a way to target the cancer cells ... maybe by attaching a glucose compound to a radioactive agent, they could end up killing the cancer without causing much collateral damage to surrounding cells.

The greatest hurdle in treating any disease, especially but certainly not limited to cancer, is that the disease cells share most characteristics with normal, healthy cells. It continues to be a tremendous challenge to discover those characteristics that distinguish abnormal from normal cells and to target those differences without causing unacceptable harm to healthy cells. One early difference detected was that cancer cells of certain types multiply and grow at a rate much faster than most other cells. Chemotherapy tends to target that aspect of cell physiology that is responsible for rapid cell growth, but even here, it's been learned that different types of cancer require different chemo approaches and some are chemo resistant. My point here was, though, that in targeting rapidly growing cells, the chemotherapy also destroys hair cells, which also grow at a faster rate than other cell types. Nail growth may also be affected.

There is still a tremendous amount of work to do in this field. Sol is right; there is no "cure" for cancer, and now patients learn not how to "cure" their cancers but how to live with them. A tumor may be removed, surgically or through radiation and drug treatment, but the risk remains that it will return or that another form of cancer may crop up in another part of the body.

It's extremely important for us to remain vigilant, have regular checkups, and pay attention to things that may signal the beginning of something serious. (I have to admit that I'm not so good at this; I tend to be a "tape it up and keep playing" type and that's not always wise).

Back