President Trump just announced that he will make interest payments on car loans FULLY tax deductible for all Americans

Virtually all interest,
including credit card debt,
was tax deductible until the Reagan Administration in 1986.

How young are you people?

Virtually all interest,
including credit card debt,
was tax deductible until the Reagan Administration in 1986.

How young are you people?
derp derp

whining about that is the most retarded thing you have ever done - and the bar is quite high!

who the fuck wants to reward living beyond your means?

One would think that a 10 year note offers a lower monthly payment? Unless a person with a VW budget is buying a Mercedes? I've never heard of a 10 year note, but I always buy new and finance very little if possible. And...depending on interest rate vs. what I'm earning on my cash, typically pay off the note early.
Picture a $100k car at 20% interest for 10 years, and you are looking at $2k a month. I have heard of above 20%, so that is not as bizarre as it sounds.

That is basically a loan designed to fail.

You can buy a cheap used car for $2,000. It might not be reliable, but who cares. For that cheap the 10 year loan guy can buy a car every month.

It's probably just for real cars.

LOL.

I can out accelerate literally anything you have in your garage unless you have a supercar.

I don't pay much in the way of maintenance unlike you. No oil changes. No transmission work. All of that is gone.

I charge on my solar at home so I effectively DRIVE FOR FREE and have for about oh 6 years or so.

Imagine all the money I'm saving that you are spending. Enjoy your dinosaur.

Unfortunately, I need a pick up, and van, and a car. I have clear title on all of them, but it's hard to avoid high prices when you MUST have a specific vehicle.
This interests me. If you can tell me, why do you need a pick up, van, and car? If it personal, I understand.

Picture a $100k car at 20% interest for 10 years, and you are looking at $2k a month. I have heard of above 20%, so that is not as bizarre as it sounds.

That is basically a loan designed to fail.

You can buy a cheap used car for $2,000. It might not be reliable, but who cares. For that cheap the 10 year loan guy can buy a car every month.
I'm trying to picture who would agree to those terms? Anyone who can afford a $100k car would either lease it and write off the payments, or put a substantial amount of money down. Even with the interest rate hikes I don't believe auto dealerships were charging that much? I know rates on used cars are typically higher, but this is all news to me.

This interests me. If you can tell me, why do you need a pick up, van, and car? If it personal, I understand.
I have a business that has morphed over the years, but I'm a custom cabinetmaker. I do a lot of kitchen/bath renovations. In my 40 plus years in business, I'm now doing all of the plumbing and electrical work on these jobs. Additionally, my ability to do the aforementioned also comes in handy in the service related field. I build entire water systems, and well as swapping out appliances, water heaters, etc.. Once I get into someone's home for any of the above, they call me for any problems they might have. Anything I can't/won't do I can refer someone who has the time. I also manage a summer community with 40 units. That pretty much takes up all of my time in the summer.

In my younger days I worked out of my pickup with a cap. I accidentally opted for a work van a few years ago when no auto manufacturer would condescend to build me a pickup truck that isn't more geared to soccer moms.

My current pickup was more than 10 years old, and it was time for a new one. Having no other option, I bought a work van and I love not having to crawl into the back of a pickup. I have since found a great pickup, albeit without the standard transmission that I always had.

I keep all of my tools necessary to do the woodwork, plumbing/electrical in the van. It's only a hassle in the winter when I remove all of my hand tools as well as any paint/caulk etc. at the end of every day. Otherwise, it's just park the van and drive away in my truck/car.

In the winter I need a 4wd vehicle. I scavenge/cut/split quite a bit of firewood each year, and I also pull a landscape trailer with my lawn tractor. Say nothing of trips to the landfill during renovations.

My VW gets 30 mpg and it's just a joy to drive compared to the other vehicles. I would really prefer not to register/insure three vehicles, and the van is only in the last 5 years. As long as I'm making money, the cost isn't an issue. I save a ton of money on gas with the car as well.

Congress controls the purse. Do you know anything about how our government works? Trump makes promises he cannot keep because he does not have the power to do them. But promises are cheap and it fools the uneducated and easily conned.
Because it attracts the fools like Stone who actually believe it.

LOL.

I can out accelerate literally anything you have in your garage unless you have a supercar.

I don't pay much in the way of maintenance unlike you. No oil changes. No transmission work. All of that is gone.

I charge on my solar at home so I effectively DRIVE FOR FREE and have for about oh 6 years or so.

Imagine all the money I'm saving that you are spending. Enjoy your dinosaur.
There are definitely applications where EV is fantastic, but for many it's not quite the answer. I believe every fleet vehicle in every city should be EV. It just makes sense. Vehicles are garaged every night and charged. Typically that charge should last all day, as city driving doesn't usually require long distances.

I'm trying to picture who would agree to those terms? Anyone who can afford a $100k car would either lease it and write off the payments, or put a substantial amount of money down. Even with the interest rate hikes I don't believe auto dealerships were charging that much? I know rates on used cars are typically higher, but this is all news to me.
Someone who cannot afford the car, but really wants the car. Not quite sure why anyone really wants such an expensive car.

You would have to go to $200k, and changing every year or two, to start to really make an impression on people. Or you could go my route and get a $20k car and keep it for 5 years. My frugality leaves an impression on people(though not always good).

Someone who cannot afford the car, but really wants the car. Not quite sure why anyone really wants such an expensive car.

You would have to go to $200k, and changing every year or two, to start to really make an impression on people. Or you could go my route and get a $20k car and keep it for 5 years. My frugality leaves an impression on people(though not always good).
I'm not a fan of used cars. I'm pretty good at talking deals for new cars, so I tend to buy brand new at a good price and keep them for 10 years depending upon usage and the shape they're in. My 2015 VW CC still has less than 40k miles and looks brand new. The work vehicles tend to have low mileage too, but are subject to more wear/tear.

I'm not a fan of used cars. I'm pretty good at talking deals for new cars, so I tend to buy brand new at a good price and keep them for 10 years depending upon usage and the shape they're in. My 2015 VW CC still has less than 40k miles and looks brand new. The work vehicles tend to have low mileage too, but are subject to more wear/tear.
I have gotten tired of used cars too. If I had to, I would buy a used car, but I am far from have to. Instead, I buy a reasonably cheap new car, and just keep it forever. I mean 20 or so years.

Some people say they want to sell their car before it loses its value. My theory is to keep all the value for myself, and only sell it when it has lost almost all its value. If its only value is the platinum in the muffler, I have been successful.

Back