President Trump just announced that he will make interest payments on car loans FULLY tax deductible for all Americans

I have gotten tired of used cars too. If I had to, I would buy a used car, but I am far from have to. Instead, I buy a reasonably cheap new car, and just keep it forever. I mean 20 or so years.

Some people say they want to sell their car before it loses its value. My theory is to keep all the value for myself, and only sell it when it has lost almost all its value. If its only value is the platinum in the muffler, I have been successful.
For a while I was driving my VWs for about three years and trading them for a new one. I got a good deal on the trade, and the purchase price was below invoice. The problem now is that it's almost impossible to find a standard transmission, so I'll drive my CC until it falls apart.

For a while I was driving my VWs for about three years and trading them for a new one. I got a good deal on the trade, and the purchase price was below invoice. The problem now is that it's almost impossible to find a standard transmission, so I'll drive my CC until it falls apart.
That is another reason to keep a car. They are not selling anymore cheap stick shifts. I am keeping mine until it is completely worthless. I will keep repairing it even after the mechanic says that it would be cheaper to get a new one.

I'm a custom cabinetmaker.
I should have seen that one coming. I have seen a lot of tradespeople who can not fit some things in a van, but cannot allow many things to get wet in a pickup truck. If only there was some sort of swappable back side to a van/truck... But every time I have seen that tried, it has failed.

I certainly see a good reason to own a car on top of the rest. Why pay fuel costs for a van, when you are driving to the grocery store.

Having a car would mean you can claim the van, and truck are only used for business reasons. You might have them owned by an S-Corp, and make them 100% business deductions. Obviously, I am not an tax expert, and just making suggestions of what to talk to a tax professional about.

I should have seen that one coming. I have seen a lot of tradespeople who can not fit some things in a van, but cannot allow many things to get wet in a pickup truck. If only there was some sort of swappable back side to a van/truck... But every time I have seen that tried, it has failed.

I certainly see a good reason to own a car on top of the rest. Why pay fuel costs for a van, when you are driving to the grocery store.

Having a car would mean you can claim the van, and truck are only used for business reasons. You might have them owned by an S-Corp, and make them 100% business deductions. Obviously, I am not an tax expert, and just making suggestions of what to talk to a tax professional about.
LOL. In my younger days I did indeed find creative ways to ship large counters or bulky cabinets in my standard van. Now I've got one of those large Promaster vans with the high roof. My business has morphed into one of heavy on service related work and almost no manufacturing. There is so much more money in the former. When I do kitchen renovations the semi custom cabinets are delivered to the job.

I always had a pickup, and in the old days I had a van too. I did do a brief stint with only a van and a car, but since '94 I have always had a truck. In '05 I was forced into a 3/4 ton truck if I wanted the standard transmission. Then gas went through the roof and I bought my first beater VW that got 33 mpg. It's been car/pickup until '19 when I was forced to get the Promaster.

Yes...business covers the costs associated with the vehicles.

LOL. In my younger days I did indeed find creative ways to ship large counters or bulky cabinets in my standard van. Now I've got one of those large Promaster vans with the high roof. My business has morphed into one of heavy on service related work and almost no manufacturing. There is so much more money in the former. When I do kitchen renovations the semi custom cabinets are delivered to the job.

I always had a pickup, and in the old days I had a van too. I did do a brief stint with only a van and a car, but since '94 I have always had a truck. In '05 I was forced into a 3/4 ton truck if I wanted the standard transmission. Then gas went through the roof and I bought my first beater VW that got 33 mpg. It's been car/pickup until '19 when I was forced to get the Promaster.

Yes...business covers the costs associated with the vehicles.
I am one to talk. I keep meaning to keep a record of all my business travel, but just never bother. It would be a bit less on my taxes, but really not enough for me to care. My accountant shouts at me to do it every year.

Then again, I do not transport anything for business except myself.

I am one to talk. I keep meaning to keep a record of all my business travel, but just never bother. It would be a bit less on my taxes, but really not enough for me to care. My accountant shouts at me to do it every year.

Then again, I do not transport anything for business except myself.
I use credit cards for everything. Paperwork reduction, as it were.

Virtually all interest,
including credit card debt,
was tax deductible until the Reagan Administration in 1986.

How young are you people?
Obviously, business debt is a business expense, so is tax deductible. I do not know that consumer debt(other than home mortgages) were ever tax deductible, at least not during my adult life, which started after that.

You are correct. I just looked it up, and even if I did not, you are an honest person so usually right. There are others here I could not say the same about.

That is just plain stupid. You would have to pay taxes on useful things you spend money on, but get useless debt tax free? It is incentivising waste.

Or checks. Debit cards make it easy, but I only use them to make deposits at the ATM. I earn several hundred dollars/year on my credit cards.
Credit cards are great, if you pay your statement balance every month. There are laws in place that force retailers to charge the same rate to credit cards and cash. Retailers have to pay the credit cards a share of the sale, and then the credit cards pay us much of that. They also provide guarantees against being defrauded. And no one is allowed to charge us extra for all this.

The more I look at the system, the more I realize it is literally setup for ripping off the alt right losers. Whenever I try to change the system to help them out, I get death threats from the alt right losers. It is really crazy.

Back