Privatizing Prison Success: Cheaper and Better Results

False choice: Either make them stare at walls, or make them do telemarketing for ATT.

They shouldn't be doing work for for-profit entities. That's work for law abiding americans.

There's plenty of public service work, that low-risk convicts can be made to do. Our state puts them on fire crews, to fight forest fires.
It was exaggeration and you know it, don't be so disingenuous. Did you notice BAC's answer? It was actually well-thought out and wasn't all "See I caught you!" They shouldn't even be working for non-profit if it is forced upon them.

First things first....

1) Legalize drug use... tax the living hell out of the drugs. If someone makes the choice to use drugs, then they are responsible for their actions while under the influence, the same as with alcohol. No using the defense "well, i am an addict and thus should get rehab rather than prison". But no more putting people in jail simply for smoking pot. If they are not hurting anyone, go ahead.... your choice... but I am not paying for your rehab nor will I show you mercy if you hurt someone while under the influence.

2) Prisoners should work. It will teach them work skills that they can use upon release. Education should also be mandatory. Something like 2 hours of education a day, 6-8 hours of work, the other 14-16 they can use to eat, sleep, reflect etc...

3) As for "slave labor" comment... enough with the bullshit. It costs the taxpayers what... about $40k per year?? to house a prisoner. THAT is your compensation if you are a prisoner. You are repaying society for the money they are spending to rehab your ass.

3) As for "slave labor" comment... enough with the bullshit. It costs the taxpayers what... about $40k per year?? to house a prisoner. THAT is your compensation if you are a prisoner. You are repaying society for the money they are spending to rehab your ass.

What you are saying is not effective. A prisoner could probably care less if they are repaying society to put them in prison. They don't want to be there in the first place so why would they want to repay society for putting them in there? They will consider themselves slaves, and that is not good for their rehabilitation process.

What you are saying is not effective. A prisoner could probably care less if they are repaying society to put them in prison. They don't want to be there in the first place so why would they want to repay society for putting them in there? They will consider themselves slaves, and that is not good for their rehabilitation process.

So education and developing work skills is not effective?

What exactly do you suggest that they would "prefer" doing to "not being there"? Of course the vast majority are not going to WANT to be there regardless of what they are doing. That is a ridiculous line of thought.

What is YOUR solution? Have group hugs three times a day? Send them back into society without having improved education and work skills?

So education and developing work skills is not effective?

What exactly do you suggest that they would "prefer" doing to "not being there"? Of course the vast majority are not going to WANT to be there regardless of what they are doing. That is a ridiculous line of thought.

What is YOUR solution? Have group hugs three times a day? Send them back into society without having improved education and work skills?

As suggested earlier, have them work with volunteer organizations for the betterment of society. Teach them the value of giving and that through their own hard work and dedication, they can make a change for the happiness of others. It being REAL Happiness, and not just financial gain.

As suggested earlier, have them work with volunteer organizations for the betterment of society. Teach them the value of giving and that through their own hard work and dedication, they can make a change for the happiness of others. It being REAL Happiness, and not just financial gain.

That has to be the dumbest idea I have heard. Don't teach them work skills or force them to improve their education.... just have the do volunteer work.

What exactly makes you think they WANT to do that anymore than they WANT to work??? By your logic, wouldn't that still make them slaves? Changing the TYPE of work they do does not change a thing.

That has to be the dumbest idea I have heard. Don't teach them work skills or force them to improve their education.... just have the do volunteer work.

What exactly makes you think they WANT to do that anymore than they WANT to work??? By your logic, wouldn't that still make them slaves? Changing the TYPE of work they do does not change a thing.

The Dalai Lama says :321:

What will make them want to work is the feeling they recieve out of accomplishment. That they will know what they did was a great deed and will feel better about themselves and create greater inner peace. If this idea is the 'dumbest you've heard' then you have only heard this idea.

What will make them want to work is the feeling they recieve out of accomplishment. That they will know what they did was a great deed and will feel better about themselves and create greater inner peace. If this idea is the 'dumbest you've heard' then you have only heard this idea.
LOL. Right, when my mother forced me to work for their church it made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Rubbish.

In fact, it took me longer to reach the place where I needed to be in order to accept my experience and create an understanding other than anger.

that feeling of accompolishment thing does not work for everyone. One of the reason that many are in prison in the first place.
there are many reasons people are in prison and no single handful of soloutions will work for all.

LOl

I agree with you on this. Self-respect, pride, and self-confidence, will go a long way to helping them when they get out.

Turning them into slaves, not so much. But, of course, this is not abotu what is good for them, and it's not about what is good for you, me, or society. This is about what's good for big business.

LOL. Right, when my mother forced me to work for their church it made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Rubbish.

In fact, it took me longer to reach the place where I needed to be in order to accept my experience and create an understanding other than anger.

I did not mean force them to work, but maybe rather try and convince them to do it. Give them that option, read, or stay in the cell for the time they could be doing that. Just something to keep their mind occpied and in a forward direction. But give them that option and I believe you will see a turn around in a lot of their attitudes.

I did not mean force them to work, but maybe rather try and convince them to do it. Give them that option, read, or stay in the cell for the time they could be doing that. Just something to keep their mind occpied and in a forward direction. But give them that option and I believe you will see a turn around in a lot of their attitudes.
You aren't going to change their sexual desire with feel good volunteer work.

You can do the same with real job skills and education. But "incentivize" them to do so. Either they sit in their cell with no tv, book etc... or they can take educational courses and work during that time.

Back