R U Rightsizing or Cancelling Thanksgiving?

That would be correct... I think we're here...
HAPPY to help...if people need tips...;)

So many people overcook their turkey so lets start there....what temp do you cook it to, where do you measure, and do you flip the bird during the cooking Process?

"I think we should cancel Thanksgiving. It really doesn't fit with any of our other national holidays..."
"Truth be told, the Pilgrims were probably arrogant, racist bigots. Thanksgiving is a day of mourning for the Native Americans..."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lets-cancel-thanksgiving_b_8600224

Is this clown some kind of lunatic or what?

What is your beef with the article? Does it make you uncomfortable? Oh wait now I understand why DeSantis passed that law.

So many people overcook their turkey so lets start there....what temp do you cook it to, where do you measure, and do you flip the bird during the cooking Process?
They wait for the temp pop up..and then it is too late... we smoke and deep fry according to the weight and that's pretty accurate... I do think we're going to roast one this year in the Nesco... much faster than the oven..no flip...no baste...bacon, butter, and cheesecloth...;) and we brine..

I get upset that we now get told that we should never stuff our bird for food safety reasons....fuck that noise.

For the record I measure the thigh and the stuffing, the thigh I want at about 155 (butterball says it should be 180, and if you pull it at that you will end up near 190, the stuffing above 140. The stuffing in the bird gets mixed with hot stuffing cooked outside of the bird...we really like our cornbread stuffing around here.

They wait for the temp pop up..and then it is too late... we smoke and deep fry according to the weight and that's pretty accurate... I do think we're going to roast one this year in the Nesco... much faster than the oven..no flip...no baste...bacon, butter, and cheesecloth...;) and we brine..

Thats what my grandma in Kenosha used every year over several decades. I am not aware that there even once was a failure.

I get upset that we now get told that we should never stuff our bird for food safety reasons....fuck that noise.

For the record I measure the thigh and the stuffing, the thigh I want at about 155 (butterball says it should be 180, and if you pull it at that you will end up near 190, the stuffing above 140. The stuffing in the bird gets mixed with hot stuffing cooked outside of the bird...we really like our cornbread stuffing around here.
I always stuff at least one bird.. We make two or three different kinds... the base is the same just the add-ons are different... I'm the only one who loves oysters so I always make a little pan of oyster dressing..lol... 155 is a good temp... covered and rested it'll be just perfect...

Always remember to take out stuff from both ends. I made that mistake once but fortunately it was 2 hours into cooking so it wasn't ruined.

I always stuff at least one bird.. We make two or three different kinds... the base is the same just the add-ons are different... I'm the only one who loves oysters so I always make a little pan of oyster dressing..lol... 155...160 is a good temp... covered and rested it'll be just perfect...

I adore oyster dressing, but I am the only one. I did it exactly one year. I do however do a scalloped oyster dish, the one my mom learned from my uncle (he was a fab cook). The trouble is that the recipe calls for Ritz, which have been ruined ( I know that we have talked about this catastrophe before) . I now use half Ritz and half Club.

Thats what my grandma in Kenosha used every year over several decades. I am not aware that there even once was a failure.

I love my Nescos... and they free up oven space... I have a vintage Westinghouse that still works wonderfully... with the cabinet base...;)

I adore oyster dressing, but I am the only one. I did it exactly one year. I do however do a scalloped oyster dish, the one my mom learned from my uncle (he was a fab cook). The trouble is that the recipe calls for Ritz, which have been ruined. I now use half Ritz and half Club.

Oh that sounds delicious... and you can get great oysters..... I treat myself every year..lol... we do have a good fish guy here I trust him...

Oh that sounds delicious... and you can get great oysters..... I treat myself every year..lol... we do have a good fish guy here I trust him...

I hate shucking so I get the ones in the jars in the refrigerated section. Wife found some, at the forth store she tried, which is just nuts.

The food shortage problem certainly seems to be getting worse from what I see.

I hate shucking so I get the ones in the jars in the refrigerated section. Wife found some, at the forth store she tried, which is just nuts.

The food shortage problem certainly seems to be getting worse from what I see.
Our fish guy will shuck them for me I don't need that many just a little tin probably about the size of what you buy at the grocery store.. it's really not that much more expensive... if those jars in the refrigerated section go on sale after the holidays I'm going to buy some and try the scalloped oyster recipe... they usually do...;)

And if so why....for instance is this economic or is it because family members wont behave or is this because you dont believe in gratitude or is it that it is too American for you to tolerate?

I heard that there was a push on to turn it into a pizza party....which seems a little random.

Happy TG, Hawk! I hope you have a good one!

Back