R U Rightsizing or Cancelling Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving has always been a time to reinforce family ties.......it is a logical time to add an event to gather friends together to reinforce that bond as well......

the ones I feel sorry for are the young marrieds just starting their family who live in the community where they grew up.......they are expected to attend TWO events this Thursday and eat TWO full meals......and Grandma will not tolerate ignoring a full slice of HER pie simply because you ate a slice of someone else's pie a few hours ago........
It certainly is... Don't feel sorry for them...They can do it...we all did...:)
(I thought everyone did two rounds on Thanksgiving...and owned Thanksgiving pants...;) )

It certainly is... Don't feel sorry for them...They can do it...we all did...:)
(I thought everyone did two rounds on Thanksgiving...and owned Thanksgiving pants...;) )

we only experienced it a couple of times, living 600 miles away from both sets of parents (who themselves lived 100 miles from each other) but it happened frequently at Christmas, which was when we frequently did our return home.......the worst is that where ever we started, one set of parents would at least insist we attend church with them and then we had to be at the other for a meal Christmas noon.......I got several speeding tickets over the years traveling that 100 miles on Christmas day......

we only experienced it a couple of times, living 600 miles away from both sets of parents (who themselves lived 100 miles from each other) but it happened frequently at Christmas, which was when we frequently did our return home.......the worst is that where ever we started, one set of parents would at least insist we attend church with them and then we had to be at the other for a meal Christmas noon.......I got several speeding tickets over the years traveling that 100 miles on Christmas day......
That's about how far I am from where grew up....and it such a boring drive at 55 mph in the snow...I'd give anything to be able to complain about having to make that trip on a Wednesday night before Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve. though...(Our church was directly behind our house, so once we were there, no extra driving to services....;))

From the article Arby is whining about

Give thanks every day for what you have. Work hard for what you want, and celebrate your successes with the help of your family and friends. Express your faith in God and a positive, hopeful future. We all have hardships in our life, but we also have a heritage, known and unknown, that has built the foundations for the many blessings we take for granted today. We actually can harvest a cornucopia of blessings every day.

For all of this and more, I give thanks.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lets-cancel-thanksgiving_b_8600224

"I think we should cancel Thanksgiving. It really doesn't fit with any of our other national holidays..."
"Truth be told, the Pilgrims were probably arrogant, racist bigots. Thanksgiving is a day of mourning for the Native Americans..."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lets-cancel-thanksgiving_b_8600224

Is this clown some kind of lunatic or what?

I have been to The National day of Mourning in Plymouth Mass.
It is very real, but I celebrate Thankgiving wholeheartedly.

The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Generally we would drive to Plymouth in the morning then return home for a fantastic feast.

Still planning an awe inspiring spread this week.

Our family is having a small gathering, full vegan thanksgiving so prices won't be nearly as bad for us anyway because its much cheaper than murdered bird flesh these days.

What great ideas...from both the store and your wife...
I think lots of people are extra motivated this year...

Ya, I am beginning to think that the claim that a lot of people are letting the holiday go this year is a lie.

not really a replacement.......more like an expansion......my daughter was at a friendsgiving last night and both kids have had them for a few years now.......

The link I offered said sometimes it is a straight up replacement. I wonder if we will see a lot more of this, and see it pushed "Why you should replace Thanksgiving with Friendsgiving". It gets rid of what the WOKE feel is historical baggage and in promotes replacing family with friends....isn't that just about perfect.

The link I offered said sometimes it is a straight up replacement. I wonder if we will see a lot more of this, and see it pushed "Why you should replace Thanksgiving with Friendsgiving". It gets rid of what the WOKE feel is historical baggage and in promotes replacing family with friends....isn't that just about perfect.

oh fuck the woke......tired of that bullshit......time to ignore them.....

I am looking at claims that travel for the holiday will be extremely high, and suspect that this claim that a lot of people are unsubscribing this year likely is a lie.

It looks like a fantasy of the WOKE.

Ignoring EVIL is a catastrophic mistake, although I have called for the invalids to find infirmaries to deal with their problems, for the unformed and unwell to allow the functional adults to attempt to save civilization from collapse.

And if so why....for instance is this economic or is it because family members wont behave or is this because you dont believe in gratitude or is it that it is too American for you to tolerate?

I heard that there was a push on to turn it into a pizza party....which seems a little random.

No, but it's being held far away and I'm not going.

The offspring and her family are visiting the in-laws this year so its just me. I'll probably just get a turkey breast and stovetop stuffing.
Not much point in doing any more than that.
Guess I'll get a few beers to go with turkey sandwichs and football.

No, but it's being held far away and I'm not going.

Likewise I am going to have the worst Thanksgiving of my life, but it is not by choice. It will just be my wife and I. The only good thing is that she has taken the whole week off and we are going to spend it eating turkey diner and watching movies. I find this shocking but this is where we are.

I refuse to suffer, we will make it fun.

The new Top Gun tonight!

And if so why....for instance is this economic or is it because family members wont behave or is this because you dont believe in gratitude or is it that it is too American for you to tolerate?

I heard that there was a push on to turn it into a pizza party....which seems a little random.

Off to Lowes Foods later today. We might have to settle for a chicken. :rofl2:

Back