Ray Manzarek, the Doors' keyboardist, dies at 74

The killer awoke before dawn....he put his boots on....and he walked on down the hall...

Father?
Yes son?
I want to kill you

Mother?
Yes son?
I want to fuck you mama....all night long!

Some of the most disturbing lyrics in music...ever.

Not that I'm basing my accolade for the Doors on that particular lyric. "The End" is a way too long acid fest of a song....but that set of lyrics never fails to shock me.
They did their job then!

I mean seriously this song I think is the epitomy of the Doors talent......the incomparable poetic lyrics performed so theatrically by Morrison, Densmores laconic back beat, Kreigers incredible skills, he really kills in this song, it sounds like two string instruments, a guitar and a sytar when it's just one man and an ax and of course the meloncholy theme and tempo of Manzareks keyboards. Masters all!

Last edited:
I also got a kick out of The Doors tribute to beautiful black women. It's odd to remember how controversial this song was when they first performed it and considering how tame it is by todays standards but in 1969..........serious taboo!

They did their job then!

I mean seriously this song I think is the epitomy of the Doors talent......the incomparable poetic lyrics performed so theatrically by Morrison, Densmores laconic back beat, Kreigers incredible skills, he really kills in this song, it sounds like two string instruments, a guitar and a sytar when it's just one man and an ax and of course the meloncholy theme and tempo of Manzareks keyboards. Masters all!

Oh....don't get me wrong....I'm a fan...that set of lyrics just disturb me...

I also got a kick out of The Doors tribute to beautiful black women. It's odd to remember how controversial this song was when they first performed it and considering how tame it is by todays standards but in 1969..........serious taboo!

Never realized it was about black women...what am I missing? Dusky jewel?

Actually most of the Doors most commercially succesful songs were written by Robbie Kreiger. Their guitarist. Light My Fire was written by Kreiger.

Jim and Ray met and started the whole concept based on Jim's poetry. Sure Robbie was a very talented writer, and added to it.

Actually my favorite Doors song is the Oedipal song "The End". The first time I heard it was the amazing opening sequence to Apocolypse Now. Which I think was the best Vietnam war movie ever made.

I assure you that I heard it long before the movie. We would skip over that song if there was any hint of an "adult" around. Even today I don't play it, and have deleted it off my MP3 version of the album.

Yeah....I don't know...I guess. Kill your dad, fuck your mom? Just a little too much for me I guess.

I've seen video of the song and Mott's right, the theatrics were great.

It had a good beat, I will give it an 8.m It was all about the beat, could you dance to it. I didn't give lyrics too much thoughtnduring the time I was listening to the Doors, only later did lyrics matter.

I've been beating my head on that one too...the only thing that I can think of is the line....

"Do you hope to pluck this DUSKY Jewel?"

: somewhat dark in color; specifically : having dark skin
: marked by slight or deficient light : shadowy
m-w.com

I suppose; never thought of it that way. Based on the tone of his music, I would assume the second definition.

Regardless, The Stone's "Brown Sugar" was a bit more explicit. Back in the day we thought it was just cool, not really controversial at all.

m-w.com

I suppose; never thought of it that way. Based on the tone of his music, I would assume the second definition.

Regardless, The Stone's "Brown Sugar" was a bit more explicit. Back in the day we thought it was just cool, not really controversial at all.

Yeah...I like the Stones too..."Gimme Shelter" is probably one of my favorites.

I assure you that I heard it long before the movie. We would skip over that song if there was any hint of an "adult" around. Even today I don't play it, and have deleted it off my MP3 version of the album.
Ya'll need to read An American Prayer. The song is a criticism of Oedepal complexes, thus the title "The End".

Back