Reality check on electric cars

It really doesn't. It doesn't take any more than a few minutes.
Correct. Including the swiping of a credit card, the insertion of the hose, the fill-up, pulling the receipt, total time is usually between three and four minutes when the pump is dispensing gas at 12 seconds/gallon. Costco normally has several long lines but the cars flow on through. Imagine this line of cars needing to wait for each other to charge their batteries!

AP21131745007718.jpg

If your battery is near empty as far as a charge how long will it take to charge it. Not at night, at 11am after driving 4+hours? just answer the question, how many hours?

It depends on the level of the charger. It also depends on the car. Those that get 300 miles on a charge take longer, 100-mile range vehicles are much faster.
EV owners do not empty the charge. That is another reason your demand is not valid. Do you run your ICE empty and then walk to a gas station with a gas can? How long does that take you? https://blog.evbox.com/level-3-char...lso referred,and unlocking much faster speeds.
A level 3 can take you to 80 percent in 15 minutes.
Of course, the technology of charging improves almost monthly. There are 3 battery manufacturing plants being built in the midwest and they also have the business of building and improving charging stations.

Last edited:
If all you ever drive is a 20-30 mile commute they are perfectly viable. If you are driving long distances they are not.

If you commute over 150 miles that will require charging. Many have a 300-mile range. They are perfectly viable for nearly everyone. If you are driving across the country, you have to plot your itinerary using the phone shown charging stations. The hotels and motels will provide free charging. Level 3s will charge while you eat lunch.

If you commute over 150 miles that will require charging. Many have a 300-mile range. They are perfectly viable for nearly everyone. If you are driving across the country, you have to plot your itinerary using the phone shown charging stations. The hotels and motels will provide free charging. Level 3s will charge while you eat lunch.

And, how do you cut down on the greater time required for charging and finding stations? Hotels and motels will NEVER provide "free" charging. They will tack that cost onto your bill in one way or another. What if it isn't lunch time and you need a charge?

What happens if you want to take the scenic route on backroads through little forgotten towns?

it is a stupid thought.

The EV's, in that future will charge in the spot they park in eliminated fueling wait times, as it is done while the person shops.
Talk about a stupid thought...

Do you realize how many chargers that would amount to? Do you realize how much space for chargers that amounts to (and how that takes away from space for parking spots)? Do you realize how long it takes to charge a vehicle?

What you're claiming here is simply not feasible in the real world.

Talk about a stupid thought...

Do you realize how many chargers that would amount to? Do you realize how much space for chargers that amounts to (and how that takes away from space for parking spots)? Do you realize how long it takes to charge a vehicle?

What you're claiming here is simply not feasible in the real world.
STFU with your ignorance and stupidity. You can Fast charge in 20 minutes now.

The space currently is minimal (see below) and the chargers are getting smaller and more efficient (solar panels on top)

N5WMRMQH4VJA3H3NLAYQ3Y6RYY.jpg

You clearly have NOT worked in super cold cities in remote locations decades back where EVERY SINGLE parking spot in a mall or company parking lot could have a 'Plug in' set up for every car, in every spot

Cars-using-engine-heaters.jpg

So shut your yap until you learn something you ignorant POS.

And, how do you cut down on the greater time required for charging and finding stations? Hotels and motels will NEVER provide "free" charging. They will tack that cost onto your bill in one way or another. What if it isn't lunch time and you need a charge?

What happens if you want to take the scenic route on backroads through little forgotten towns?
https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/usa/michigan/ev-charging/
They do provide free charging. Level 3 chargers can do cars in 15 to 45 minutes to the recommended 80 percent.
If you are traveling into the Appalachian mountains, I suggest you do not use an EV. If you try hard, you can make up a scenario that would not be ideal for EVs. That is what you think you are accomplishing.

https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/usa/michigan/ev-charging/
They do provide free charging. Level 3 chargers can do cars in 15 to 45 minutes to the recommended 80 percent.
If you are traveling into the Appalachian mountains, I suggest you do not use an EV. If you try hard, you can make up a scenario that would not be ideal for EVs. That is what you think you are accomplishing.

It isn't "free." They obviously cost it into your rate. Free would mean they eat the cost of the electricity used to charge your car.

I can "make up" dozens of scenarios where an EV won't work in my part of the country. A few months ago, I drove from Socorro NM to Phoenix via US 60 (look it up on Google maps). You cannot do it in an EV.
I've been to Crown King or the Nellie Desert Bar in Arizona, you can't do either in an EV.
Hell, you can't even go to these in an EV reliably:

https://www.dreamcatcherbnb.com/
https://ranchodelaosa.com/ (Presidents a hundred years ago did, but you can't in an EV)

https://www.maderakubo.com/

I know for a fact you can't because I've been there, done that without an EV.

If you live on the East Coast, you have NO clue...NONE... what it's like to live in the Western US and the mileage and ruralness you deal with much of the time. EV's don't work for people in the Western US that want to see the sights.

It isn't "free." They obviously cost it into your rate. Free would mean they eat the cost of the electricity used to charge your car.

I can "make up" dozens of scenarios where an EV won't work in my part of the country. A few months ago, I drove from Socorro NM to Phoenix via US 60 (look it up on Google maps). You cannot do it in an EV.
I've been to Crown King or the Nellie Desert Bar in Arizona, you can't do either in an EV.

https://ranchodelaosa.com/ (Presidents a hundred years ago did, but you can't in an EV)

If you live on the East Coast, you have NO clue...NONE... what it's like to live in the Western US and the mileage and ruralness you deal with much of the time. EV's don't work for people in the Western US that want to see the sights.

It is free, in the same your towels and bedding and using the gym is free. It is priced into the overhead everyone shares the cost of.

Malls and giant retailers, in particular will be thrilled to provide free charging as they are all battling to find ways to get people to come to the stores and not just shop Amazon. Just as they offered RV parking knowing those people would kill two birds and go in and shop, so to will they offer EV parking. A person with 20 minutes or more on his hand is far more likely to shop.

And it is fine if an EV does not fit every need.

A pickup truck does not suit my need as a downtown city condo person.
A tiny convertible coup, does not suit many needs such as farms and rural needs.

And on and on and on.

So lets just stop this stupid argument that if something does not suit everything, it is not then good or of value.

What matters is EV"S suit the vast majority of the types of commutes people make which is work/home/errands/weekend getaways all within a few hours of home, at max.

that is arguably 90% of most people driving in a year and EV's are IDEAL for that.

There you go again. yes you can make up a scenario. I can do the same thing
. However, I have an EV and have driven them for years. In the real world, I have no problems. I have never used a charger outside my garage. Never, not once, and never ran out of charge.
And yeah, hotels and motels give free charges. The cost of a room with a charger used is the same as one without.

If you drive from Wash DC to Jacksonville (~850 miles) you will have to stop at least twice probably 3 times for at least an hour or 2 each time. I've done the drive a number of times it's 12 hrs driving. A couple 15 min stops and only one of them for gas. I'm there before dark. You would still be waiting on a charge in South Carolina. Don't tell me they are comparable, they are not. I am not against EV's, they are simply not for me. I do find it rather comical that the rightwingers despise them. I guess it's because they are envirnomentally friendly and anything that is environmentally friendly they despise.

. However, I have an EV and have driven them for years. In the real world, I have no problems. I have never used a charger outside my garage. Never, not once, and never ran out of charge.
And yeah, hotels and motels give free charges. The cost of a room with a charger used is the same as one without.

I'm guessing you live in a city, perhaps on the East Coast?

In any case, there's plenty of evidence that EVs are not nearly as green as some people think, and there are other drawbacks as well, such as price:
Electric Cars Aren't As Eco-Friendly As You Think. Here's Why. | makeuseof.com

There are other technologies that appear to be better in every way from regular gas powered cars, however. Their inventors tend to die under suspicious circumstances though. The story of Stanley Meyer is informative:
The Mysterious Death of Stanley Meyer and His Water-Powered Car | gaia.com

The article above also contains a story of a man who managed to use regular gas super efficiently. After selling his technology for a lot of money to some company that then sat on it, he was shot at and after surviving that, he also died suspiciously.

Congratulations if they work for you, they won't for many. You keep mentioning the motel with a free charge, that's great but you are going to need a charge at 9:00 oclock in the morning if you leave at 6:00, now you are empty so it takes closer to 2 hrs to charge. On the road by 11 and now it's 2:00 and you need to stop again for a couple hrs. Now it is 4:00 and I'm about 225 miles ahead of you in my gas vehicle. Driving long distances you spend practically as much time waiting on a charge as you do driving. The free charge from the hotel is miniscule unless you plan on stopping for the night at 9:00 in the morning.

I don't know why they don't work to perfect the hybrid, 50+ miles to the gallon and charge your battery while you drive. My gf has one and I think she stops maybe once a month for gas.

I'm guessing you live in a city, perhaps on the East Coast?

In any case, there's plenty of evidence that EVs are not nearly as green as some people think, and there are other drawbacks as well, such as price:
Electric Cars Aren't As Eco-Friendly As You Think. Here's Why. | makeuseof.com

There are other technologies that appear to be better in every way from regular gas powered cars, however. Their inventors tend to die under suspicious circumstances though. The story of Stanley Meyer is informative:
The Mysterious Death of Stanley Meyer and His Water-Powered Car | gaia.com

The article above also contains a story of a man who managed to use regular gas super efficiently. After selling his technology for a lot of money to some company that then sat on it, he was shot at and after surviving that, he also died suspiciously.

There is no comparison between EV and gas powered as far as the environment. You actually think a car belching out exhaust 100% of the time it is being used is about the same as an electric car belching out none? If your power comes from nuclear, hydroelectric, solar or wind the EV is damn near 100% more envirnomentally friendly. You actually think one guy figured out how to run a car on water but it hasn't dawned on any other scientist, give me a break.

It is free, in the same your towels and bedding and using the gym is free. It is priced into the overhead everyone shares the cost of.

Malls and giant retailers, in particular will be thrilled to provide free charging as they are all battling to find ways to get people to come to the stores and not just shop Amazon. Just as they offered RV parking knowing those people would kill two birds and go in and shop, so to will they offer EV parking. A person with 20 minutes or more on his hand is far more likely to shop.

And it is fine if an EV does not fit every need.

A pickup truck does not suit my need as a downtown city condo person.
A tiny convertible coup, does not suit many needs such as farms and rural needs.

And on and on and on.

So lets just stop this stupid argument that if something does not suit everything, it is not then good or of value.

What matters is EV"S suit the vast majority of the types of commutes people make which is work/home/errands/weekend getaways all within a few hours of home, at max.

that is arguably 90% of most people driving in a year and EV's are IDEAL for that.

Bravo, correct that depending on need the EV car works for many. I drive long distances all the time and it would still actually work for me because if I'm going long distance I take my expedition and leave the Lexus home.;) Not everyone has 2 vehicles.

So this thread does one thing ACCIDENTALLY very well. That is, it exposes that most of these Magat EV haters have ZERO understanding of the technology.

The OP highlights a common problem with gas stations, which is long lineups to get gas, in peek times and thinks that is something he can use to attack EV's.

in his stupor he seems to laugh thinking EV's would be lining up like that for charges, in even greater lineups when the FUTURE of EV's is that those type of lineups should be no more, as the vast, VAST majority of charges are done at home or work and as charging technology continues to improve and get smaller, more efficient and the hardware costs less, you continue to see it expand to cover enough parking spots, based on data on user needs.

But people like the TS and Terry, and others simply comment from a complete ignorance of technology, while acting like an authority and making the most ludicrous and laughable points.

EV's SOLVE THE BELOW PROBLEM in the vast, VAST majority of instances!

AP21131745007718.jpg

STFU with your ignorance and stupidity. You can Fast charge in 20 minutes now.

The space currently is minimal (see below) and the chargers are getting smaller and more efficient (solar panels on top)

N5WMRMQH4VJA3H3NLAYQ3Y6RYY.jpg

You clearly have NOT worked in super cold cities in remote locations decades back where EVERY SINGLE parking spot in a mall or company parking lot could have a 'Plug in' set up for every car, in every spot

Cars-using-engine-heaters.jpg

So shut your yap until you learn something you ignorant POS.
Wow, you seem to be very angry. In fact, I've found a VERY strong correlation between liberals and anger, especially whenever questioned about anything. I wonder why that is... ;)

Back