Reality check on electric cars

You have to get your muffler replaced. You need your transmission serviced or replaced. You need your air filters and oil changed regularly.
Oh wait, you don't. That is ICE problems.
Toy car performance degrades over time, Real cars generally dont.

Battery replacement can cost $20k for reconditioned batteries....not even new....Real cars dont have that problem.

My arguments DO stand. You bragged about spending "only" $35K for your EV, assuming that I must have spent that much for an ICE vehicle... Meanwhile, I actually spent only $26K for my TWO ICE vehicles. I wonder if my insurance rate for my TWO ICE vehicles is also less than your insurance rate for your ONE EV...
It is. Insurance are high for EVs because if a single battery cell gets damaged (rock, high center, minor t-bone accident, etc), the entire car is totaled.
You (and everyone else who subsidizes your panels) paid tens of thousands of dollars for your solar panels, but I invested that money instead. Meanwhile, a $20,000 investment in a bank CD, at current rates, yields enough interest (after taxes) to cover the majority of my monthly electric bill.
He thinks he can charge his EV quickly piddle power. It's faster to just plug it into a standard 120v 20A outlet.
You've already been told this in the past.

I own two ICE vehicles for $10K less than your EV cost you.

You can't insult your way out of the truth.

Believe whatever you will.

I'm not going to share any personal info over JPP. Additionally, the nature of an online discussion forum doesn't allow for this.
It's amazing how they keep asking for this, and sometimes give personal information themselves (such as in Sealover's and his sock's case).

You have to get your muffler replaced.
I have never once had to replace a muffler on any of my ICE vehicles.
You need your transmission serviced or replaced.
I have never once had to replace a transmission on any of my ICE vehicles. When the dealership once told me that I had to replace the whole transmission on my RAV4, the issue was actually just the torque converter. I had my mechanic replace that specific part for MUCH less than the dealership quoted me for the whole transmission. Haven't had any issues since!
You need your air filters and oil changed regularly.
Yup, that's just simple maintenance and it doesn't take much time at all to do.
Oh wait, you don't. That is ICE problems.
Wrong. EVs need simple maintenance same as ICE vehicles do, no matter how proud EV owners are of not properly maintaining their vehicles.

Battery replacement can cost $20k for reconditioned batteries....not even new....Real cars dont have that problem.
Vehicles here in Wisconsin tend to get retired due to road salt damage before they get retired due to any sort of expensive mechanical issue(s). Road salt is even worse for EVs than it is for ICE vehicles...

I have never once had to replace a muffler on any of my ICE vehicles.
I've never had to replace my muffler either.
I have never once had to replace a transmission on any of my ICE vehicles.
Same with me. He apparently also doesn't realize the EVs have transmissions!
When the dealership once told me that I had to replace the whole transmission on my RAV4, the issue was actually just the torque converter. I had my mechanic replace that specific part for MUCH less than the dealership quoted me for the whole transmission. Haven't had any issues since!
Never even had to do that to any of my cars.
Yup, that's just simple maintenance and it doesn't take much time at all to do.
Replacing a torque converter is not simple maintenance since you have to dismount the engine to do it. Never had one fail me either.
Wrong. EVs need simple maintenance same as ICE vehicles do, no matter how proud EV owners are of not properly maintaining their vehicles.
That's right. EV's have oil, coolant, and lubrication requirements. They also have friction components that must be replaced from time to time, such as brakes. Brakes and tires are especially a problem for EVs because of their excessive weight.

The oil doesn't need to be changed in an EV like a gasoline engine, but it should be checked from time to time.
The coolant should also be checked from time to time, including any leaks in the system. That can DESTROY a battery, and may even result in a battery fire. Corrosion has also been a problem in the coolant system of some EVs.

The EV is also much more dependent on software than even a FADEC gasoline car. EVs are the most recalled cars in the business for this reason. This, of course, must be done at the dealership (like most any EV repair).

Vehicles here in Wisconsin tend to get retired due to road salt damage before they get retired due to any sort of expensive mechanical issue(s). Road salt is even worse for EVs than it is for ICE vehicles...
Heh. That road salt does NO car any good!

EVs aren't popular in Wisconsin due to the extreme cold of your winters there. EVs can't operate in cold conditions, or even charge properly.
EVs aren't popular in Arizona for the opposite reason. Extreme temperatures are just plain bad for the EV. Batteries overheat, charging can more easily start a battery fire, coolant issues are that much more critical, the car uses much more power just to keep the cabin reasonably comfortable, and even the radiator for the motor coolant is inadequate at such temperatures, causing possible motor damage on some EV designs.

Oh...that's another maintenance item on EVs...keeping the radiator clear and checking it for leaks. It sits low in the rear, but it can pick up rocks and other debris. At least it sits high enough that a high center usually damages the battery before the radiator! (This is an advantage?)

Replacing a torque converter is not simple maintenance since you have to dismount the engine to do it. Never had one fail me either.
Right. I wasn't referring to the torque converter job as "simple maintenance". I was referring specifically to the air filter and oil change jobs as "simple maintenance".

Right. I wasn't referring to the torque converter job as "simple maintenance". I was referring specifically to the air filter and oil change jobs as "simple maintenance".
And they are. The filters on an EV also need to be changed from time to time. There is one in the battery coolant line and another for the cabin.
The oil coolant for the motor uses a simple strainer disc screen (which should be checked from time to time and possibly cleaned).

Heh. That road salt does NO car any good!
Indeed! Plenty of people around here purposely shop for their used trucks from states like Oklahoma and Washington so that they are "rust free" (IOW, not damaged by road salt). Any used truck around these parts usually has significant damage to the wheel wells, let alone any damage to the undercarriage.
EVs aren't popular in Wisconsin due to the extreme cold of your winters there. EVs can't operate in cold conditions, or even charge properly.
Right. I hardly ever see EVs on the road, even in Madison (which is where I will see them if I DO see them). Those people don’t think about the fact that their vehicles are useless in the ‘frozen tundra’ conditions that Wisconsin is known for. Their hive-mind is solely focused on “saving the planet” from “global warming”. I do see plenty of "hybrids" (aka overweight ICE vehicles) though... still very few compared to typical ICE vehicles.
EVs aren't popular in Arizona for the opposite reason. Extreme temperatures are just plain bad for the EV. Batteries overheat, charging can more easily start a battery fire, coolant issues are that much more critical, the car uses much more power just to keep the cabin reasonably comfortable, and even the radiator for the motor coolant is inadequate at such temperatures, causing possible motor damage on some EV designs.
Indeed, and people don't seem to think about this one (even more-so than they don't think about the extreme cold).
Oh...that's another maintenance item on EVs...keeping the radiator clear and checking it for leaks. It sits low in the rear, but it can pick up rocks and other debris. At least it sits high enough that a high center usually damages the battery before the radiator! (This is an advantage?)
This is another big reason why I don't ever want an EV... I'd hate for pretty much any minor accident to be able to "total" my vehicle (and the insurance rates!).

That was true when I grew up in Rockford Il.....at one point there was talk about going to something much easier on cars.....not sure what happened to that.

Indeed! Plenty of people around here purposely shop for their used trucks from states like Oklahoma and Washington so that they are "rust free" (IOW, not damaged by road salt). Any used truck around these parts usually has significant damage to the wheel wells, let alone any damage to the undercarriage.
I've seen what happens to the chassis rails on such trucks. It ain't pretty.
Right. I hardly ever see EVs on the road, even in Madison (which is where I will see them if I DO see them). Those people don’t think about the fact that their vehicles are useless in the ‘frozen tundra’ conditions that Wisconsin is known for.
City Newbies.
Their hive-mind is solely focused on “saving the planet” from “global warming”.
Which is hilarious, since EVs don't save the planet or prevent or cause "global warming".

The only thing that can cause global warming is for the Sun to increase it's output (quite rare, as that star is remarkably stable!), or the Earth to move closer to the Sun (which happens every year, right around wintertime in the Northern hemisphere). That's the point of perihelion. Aphelion is during our summer (when the globe is cooler to the increase distance).

Their hive-mind thinks their own backyard is the entire world. A hot summer day is "global warming".

I do see plenty of "hybrids" (aka overweight ICE vehicles) though... still very few compared to typical ICE vehicles.
Hybrids can be heavy, since they still DO have batteries (not nearly as large) and effectively two engines for the vehicle instead of one.
On a diesel-electric locomotive, this can be an advantage, since it allows better traction of steel wheels on steel rails. In a car, it's a disadvantage, since you lose maneuverability and require more expensive tires and brakes to handle the higher weight.
Indeed, and people don't seem to think about this one (even more-so than they don't think about the extreme cold).
Once you step out into that wall of heat and get your foot stuck in the melting asphalt, you get reminded of how hot it gets!
This is another big reason why I don't ever want an EV... I'd hate for pretty much any minor accident to be able to "total" my vehicle (and the insurance rates!).
:thumbsup:

Battery replacement is nothing like 20 k. Do you know what an ICE engine replacement costs? How about transmissions? These are real. They have shops that just replace them. https://www.bridwellautocenter.com/engine-replacement-cost/ Of course you have to factor in the time it takes in the cost. A dealer is far more expensive and many cars, the engines cost a fortune.
Try a luxury cr or sports car for sticker shock,

Battery replacement is nothing like 20 k. Do you know what an ICE engine replacement costs? How about transmissions? These are real. They have shops that just replace them. https://www.bridwellautocenter.com/engine-replacement-cost/ Of course you have to factor in the time it takes in the cost. A dealer is far more expensive and many cars, the engines cost a fortune.
Tesla batteries routinely routinely supercharged tend to crap out shortly after 100k miles....modern engines routinely make it well over 200K.....NOT THE SAME THING.

Battery replacement is nothing like 20 k.
Correct. It's much higher.
Do you know what an ICE engine replacement costs?
I don't have to replace my engine. A new engine in the crate is $2000.
How about transmissions?
I don't have to replace my transmission. A new transmission in the crate is $1000
These are real.
Yes they are, and nowhere as expensive as replacing a battery. Better still, anyone can replace an engine or transmission. No special shop is needed.
They have shops that just replace them. https://www.bridwellautocenter.com/engine-replacement-cost/ Of course you have to factor in the time it takes in the cost. A dealer is far more expensive and many cars, the engines cost a fortune.
Nowhere near as much as an EV battery, Sybil.
An EV is not a luxury car nor a sports car. False equivalence fallacy.

Tesla batteries routinely routinely supercharged tend to crap out shortly after 100k miles....modern engines routinely make it well over 200K.....NOT THE SAME THING.
I've taken engines out to 400k, no problem. I've taken transmissions even further.

Routine maintenance can get you a long way.

Sybil has already admitted he doesn't maintain his car.

Back