Reality check on electric cars

ICE vehicle fires don't burn with anywhere near the intensity and heat levels of a lithium battery fire. Nor do they detonate, contrary to what Hollyweird would have you believe.

Gasoline fires are also relatively easy to extinguish.

In either case, a vehicle parked in a garage is likely to see the fire spread and burn it down so your point there is irrelevant as that is a situational issue not the issue of the vehicle itself catching fire.
I think burning at a rate of 20 times EVs makes ICEs more dangerous. They're developing better methods to contain EV fires. Your bent thinking is wrong and is being eliminated.

OMG, please, please, please buy an EV and "change the motor oil". I'm BEGGING you.

You are hilarious. Thank you SO MUCH for the afternoon laughs.
The motor oil on a Tesla is used as a coolant and lubricant. It is changed after 1 year of service when you take your Tesla in for service. It uses oil similar to Dexron 6. The oil filter is changed at that time as well.

After the first oil change, it won't need changing again until around 100,000 miles (unless there's a leak or the system has to be drained to perform a repair).

The battery coolant does not need to be changed much, but you should check it for leaks from time to time. Battery coolant changes must be done by the dealer, since only they have the proper equipment to vacuum fill the battery coolant lines and verify them (air bubbles are disastrous here!).

It is also important to keep all of your radiators (both for the motor and for the battery coolant) clean. They are small and easily become filthy due to their location.

You should also check and possibly replace your brake fluid every 4 years. The brakes on an EV run hotter due to the weight and the brake fluid is easily broken down. Tesla uses DOT4.

Your cabin air filter should be changed every couple of years.

Your A/C system has a desiccant cartridge (more of a bag) that should be changed every 4 years. This of course requires changing the A/C coolant with it, requiring specialized equipment.

Tesla uses caliper style brakes (larger than usual to handle the weight). These need to be checked and lubricated every 12,000 miles. This is a good time to check for pad wear while you're at it.

Tesla model 3's can't tow. If you HAVE a Tesla that can tow, these intervals become shorter. They also become shorter in hot and dusty environments, such as California.

Then, of course is the usual tire wear and tear. EV tires are more expensive because they have to handle the increased weight.

Also, of course, is the body maintenance common to any car.

I already know you do not maintain your car.

I think burning at a rate of 20 times EVs makes ICEs more dangerous. They're developing better methods to contain EV fires. Your bent thinking is wrong and is being eliminated.
Still ignoring the fact that less than 1% of the cars on the road are EVs, eh?
It won't work, Sybil.

The motor oil on a Tesla is used as a coolant and lubricant. It is changed after 1 year of service when you take your Tesla in for service. It uses oil similar to Dexron 6. The oil filter is changed at that time as well.

Do you know what TESLA actually says?

"Unlike gasoline cars, Tesla vehicles require no traditional oil changes, fuel system maintenance, spark plug replacements or emission checks. Even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on the brakes." (SOURCE)

Look, it's clear you have NO CLUE what the difference is between an EV and an ICE vehicle. This is obvious now.

But good try! You at least TRIED. And that's appreciated. Even if it became clear you don't know what you are talking about.

I still suggest you buy an EV and DEMAND an oil change somewhere. Seriously. I'd even pony up a couple bucks just to see the video.

Do you know what TESLA actually says?
Yes. They've said what I've just said. They usually do this maintenance for you when you take your Tesla in for service at the dealer.
"Unlike gasoline cars, Tesla vehicles require no traditional oil changes, fuel system maintenance, spark plug replacements or emission checks. Even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on the brakes." (SOURCE)
They do require oil changes. Tesla has specified the change interval. They usually do this for you during service.
The only 'fuel maintenance' is the battery coolant, which should be checked for leaks from time to time, and the chargeability should be monitored as well.

The fuel for an EV is the fuel burned in the power plant used to charge it. EVs are wasteful of fuel, using about twice as much energy as simply burning the fuel in the car.
Look, it's clear you have NO CLUE what the difference is between an EV and an ICE vehicle. This is obvious now.
There are a lot of differences:

* You can service your own gasoline vehicle. EVs typically require specialized equipment only at the dealer.
* Spark plugs are easily changed, if you need to change them. They last about 100,000 miles or so, about the same amount of time an EV can go before you have to change the motor oil (which should be done by the dealer).
* Gasoline cars today don't need emission checks. Indeed most emission check stations are closing, since FADEC monitors the engine for you.
* Brake pad replacements on EVs is NOT rare. You should check those things and lubricate them every 12,000 miles (more in dusty conditions, such as California). This is Tesla's recommendation. Remember, the only worse than a car that won't go is a car that won't stop. Brakes are important. Don't ignore them. Regenerative braking is not a magick bullet.

But good try! You at least TRIED. And that's appreciated. Even if it became clear you don't know what you are talking about.

I still suggest you buy an EV and DEMAND an oil change somewhere. Seriously. I'd even pony up a couple bucks just to see the video.
I'm not going to waste the money. EVs cost about 3 times what a gasoline car costs, have limited range, have expensive insurance, are inconvenient, and are a fire hazard.

I'll keep my car and truck with effectively unlimited range, greater overall power and maneuverability, the ability to tow my tractor and haul heavy loads, and are easy to maintain (I do all the work on my own cars and the tractor).

I have only needed to change a spark plug once (it was defective in manufacture).
Changing the engine oil is done about once a year, and it's a good time to check for other items to service on the car while you're under there. That takes about ten minutes. Meh.

Oh...and I do my own brake servicing. That's something you CAN do yourself on an EV, but be aware of the extra wires in there. I recommend a high temperature silicon based brake grease when you're servicing EV brakes. Brake cleaner is compatible with the extra wiring BS on an EV.
The parking brake on a Tesla does not use a drum brake found in many cars, instead it's electrically actuated on the rear caliper (part of that extra wiring). The parking brake requires power from the battery to stay engaged, meaning it's an unsafe arrangement. Fortunately, there's an additional parking pawl located in the motor gearbox housing. Although it's also electrically actuated, it will stay put once in place even if the battery discharges completely.

Failing to maintain the motor oil on either car causes EXPENSIVE damage.

Yes. They've said what I've just said. They usually do this maintenance for you when you take your Tesla in for service at the dealer.

They do require oil changes. Tesla has specified the change interval. They usually do this for you during service.
The only 'fuel maintenance' is the battery coolant, which should be checked for leaks from time to time, and the chargeability should be monitored as well.

The fuel for an EV is the fuel burned in the power plant used to charge it. EVs are wasteful of fuel, using about twice as much energy as simply burning the fuel in the car.

There are a lot of differences:

* You can service your own gasoline vehicle. EVs typically require specialized equipment only at the dealer.
* Spark plugs are easily changed, if you need to change them. They last about 100,000 miles or so, about the same amount of time an EV can go before you have to change the motor oil (which should be done by the dealer).
* Gasoline cars today don't need emission checks. Indeed most emission check stations are closing, since FADEC monitors the engine for you.
* Brake pad replacements on EVs is NOT rare. You should check those things and lubricate them every 12,000 miles (more in dusty conditions, such as California). This is Tesla's recommendation. Remember, the only worse than a car that won't go is a car that won't stop. Brakes are important. Don't ignore them. Regenerative braking is not a magick bullet.

I'm not going to waste the money. EVs cost about 3 times what a gasoline car costs, have limited range, have expensive insurance, are inconvenient, and are a fire hazard.

I'll keep my car and truck with effectively unlimited range, greater overall power and maneuverability, the ability to tow my tractor and haul heavy loads, and are easy to maintain (I do all the work on my own cars and the tractor).

I have only needed to change a spark plug once (it was defective in manufacture).
Changing the engine oil is done about once a year, and it's a good time to check for other items to service on the car while you're under there. That takes about ten minutes. Meh.

Oh...and I do my own brake servicing. That's something you CAN do yourself on an EV, but be aware of the extra wires in there. I recommend a high temperature silicon based brake grease when you're servicing EV brakes. Brake cleaner is compatible with the extra wiring BS on an EV.
The parking brake on a Tesla does not use a drum brake found in many cars, instead it's electrically actuated on the rear caliper (part of that extra wiring). The parking brake requires power from the battery to stay engaged, meaning it's an unsafe arrangement. Fortunately, there's an additional parking pawl located in the motor gearbox housing. Although it's also electrically actuated, it will stay put once in place even if the battery discharges completely.

Failing to maintain the motor oil on either car causes EXPENSIVE damage.

Seriously. Go to an EV dealership and ask them how often you have to have the oil changed.

Just do it.

Obtenebrator = :seenoevil: :hearnoevil:

It's almost time for you to repeat your claim that nobody has told you anything about any maintenance that needs to be done on EVs.

" :seenoevil: :hearnoevil: I don't need to maintain anything on my EV :seenoevil: :hearnoevil: "

I honestly think it's HILARIOUS that you guys want to take an EV to a garage and get an oil change.

Seriously.

I would pay GOOD MONEY to see you do that. It would bring me no end of joy.

Just as a side-question: can you show me where the OIL FILL is in the EV's motor? I would love to see a picture of it.

Seriously. Go to an EV dealership and ask them how often you have to have the oil changed.

Just do it.
They are not seeking the truth. They are scouring news and right-wing sources for anything that says EVs are bad. They know nothing about them except they are bad. Then they post the coup de grace here. Only it isn't.

I honestly think it's HILARIOUS that you guys want to take an EV to a garage and get an oil change.
Nope. I recommend taking it to the dealer for that. They have the correct oil for the motor and the special lift equipment necessary to perform the service.
Seriously.

I would pay GOOD MONEY to see you do that. It would bring me no end of joy.

Just as a side-question: can you show me where the OIL FILL is in the EV's motor? I would love to see a picture of it.
On the motor housing assembly. The drain bolt is there also. There is one on each motor for a dual motor EV.
The oil filter is also on the motor housing, if your EV has one (older Tesla's don't, but newer ones do).

And it DOES cost you good money for getting your oil changed.

They are not seeking the truth. They are scouring news and right-wing sources for anything that says EVs are bad. They know nothing about them except they are bad. Then they post the coup de grace here. Only it isn't.

Oh it's so much more fun than just that! They spent a week or two yelling at me about how I don't do the necessary maintenance for my EV but when I asked them what I was missing they refused to answer.

NOW they answer and the first one out of the gate is MOTOR OIL. There's no motor oil in an electric vehicle. Into the Night tried to tell me that Tesla suggested oil changes!

I knew these guys were full of shit to start with (I own an EV they clearly don't) but to finally get them to tell me to get my OIL CHANGED was COMEDY GOLD.

Seriously it's been two days now and I can't stop laughing.

I Imagine Into the Night or gfm going into a Jiffy Lube with their EV and DEMANDING an oil change.

Nope. I recommend taking it to the dealer for that. They have the correct oil for the motor and the special lift equipment necessary to perform the service.

On the motor housing assembly. The drain bolt is there also. There is one on each motor for a dual motor EV.
The oil filter is also on the motor housing, if your EV has one (older Tesla's don't, but newer ones do).

And it DOES cost you good money for getting your oil changed.

Dude, stop it! I'm lauging WAAAY too hard. You've clearly never seen an EV motor.

This is too funny. Thanks SO MUCH for this much-needed laugh.

The gift that keeps giving.

Hey, why don't you go out and find me a picture of the oil fill cap in an EV. Thanks!

I already know you don't maintain your car, Sybil. EV motors DO require oil.

There is nothing bad about a motor or an engine requiring oil.

Tesla is not a news source, Sybil.

Oh it's so much more fun than just that! They spent a week or two yelling at me about how I don't do the necessary maintenance for my EV but when I asked them what I was missing they refused to answer.
I did answer. Argument of the Stone fallacy. You even responded. DON'T TRY TO DENY YOUR OWN OR ANYBODY ELSE'S POSTS!
NOW they answer and the first one out of the gate is MOTOR OIL. There's no motor oil in an electric vehicle. Into the Night tried to tell me that Tesla suggested oil changes!
There is oil in an EV. I have already listed the recommended change intervals that Tesla recommends.
I knew these guys were full of shit to start with (I own an EV they clearly don't) but to finally get them to tell me to get my OIL CHANGED was COMEDY GOLD.
I don't recommend you change your own oil. Have your dealer do it.
Seriously it's been two days now and I can't stop laughing.

I Imagine Into the Night or gfm going into a Jiffy Lube with their EV and DEMANDING an oil change.
Jiffy Lube is not qualified to change the oil on an EV. They do not have the necessary equipment to handle it safely.

I don't even bother with Jiffy Lube for my gasoline cars. They tend to do a sloppy job. I just change my own oil when it's necessary. It's easy to do for a gasoline or diesel vehicle.

Dude, stop it! I'm lauging WAAAY too hard. You've clearly never seen an EV motor.
Yes I have. I have to admit, Tesla has done a fantastic job design the motor assembly. It does require oil for lubrication and cooling though. Also, be sure to keep the radiator clean. It's located down low and tends to pick up gunk.
This is too funny. Thanks SO MUCH for this much-needed laugh.

The gift that keeps giving.

Hey, why don't you go out and find me a picture of the oil fill cap in an EV. Thanks!
It's a bolt, not a cap. You'll need an Allen wrench, tubing, and a syringe for it. Like I said, i recommend you let the dealer do it.

Tesla recommends changing the oil at the 1st year of service interval, and then about every 100,000 miles after that.

Yes I have. I have to admit, Tesla has done a fantastic job design the motor assembly. It does require oil for lubrication and cooling though. Also, be sure to keep the radiator clean. It's located down low and tends to pick up gunk.

It's a bolt, not a cap. You'll need an Allen wrench, tubing, and a syringe for it. Like I said, i recommend you let the dealer do it.

Wow. Where do you get this stuff? Just give me a reference. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Remember what Tesla says: Tesla vehicles require no traditional oil changes

Back