Reality check on electric cars

Hey, Bocephus, what does JIFFY LUBE SAY? (I've highlighted the important bits)

SOURCE

Seriously you guys are hilarious!
Joey,
Why are you hung up on oil changes?
If I were you, I would be asking myself why Hertz is dumping 20,000 Tesla's from their fleet at $21,000?
Why are major automakers saying they are stopping or delaying production on fully electric vehicles?

I understand you like your golf car but denying it will need maintenance is pure bullshit.

Tesla’s Model Y has a 100,000-mile maintenance cost estimate between $8,250 for base trims and $15,000 for the performance trim. This does not include repairs. By comparison, a Toyota Highlander in the Car Talk fleet had a 100,000-mile maintenance and repair cost of $14,029. A Honda Accord had a 100,000-mile maintenance and repair cost of $7,684. If there is a cost advantage to Tesla with regard to maintenance and repair, we cannot find it.

Ask gfm and Into the Night. They insist I have to get oil changes for my EV.

Truly it's fuckin' hilarious!
Joey, nobody cares about oil changes.
I drive a BMW or Audi, both offer free 100% coverage on ALL maintenance for three years. That includes any and all mechanical items. Tires being the only exception.
I trade my car around 4 years when the next maintenance is due so I really never see any maintenance costs at all.

I do have my wife's 2018 Lexus RX 350 oil changed because it cost $65 and she is happy that they check brake pad wear etc. That vehicle was purchased as a lease return in late 2020 with 19,000 miles, it now has just over 30,000 mi and I believe I have about $130 invested in oil changes and zero in anything else.

You be happy with your car and stop justifying your purchase to yourself. I will be happy pushing the start button and hearing the 3.0L with Dinan exhaust shake the garage.
Neither of us is saving the environment.

Yup. It's an electric motor. Very few moving parts.
It still needs to be maintained, and it's already known that you're proud of not maintaining your EV.
The primary maintenance is to take it in to have various system checks, tires, brakes, windshield wiper fluid. That sort of stuff.
Doesn't sound any different than the primary maintenance on an ICE vehicle.
It's actually a pretty cool experience having an EV.
I suppose if you consider waiting for hours to refuel to be "pretty cool"...

I'm simply insisting that you maintain your EV (if you want it to last longer). That includes its motor oil.

Wait until you grow up and mommy and daddy buy you your first car.

Vroom vroom.

Then you can change the oil anytime you wanna!

EVs do not require oil
EVs require oil. Tesla uses it's own oil during maintenance, but Dexron 6 will also work. Running an EV without oil will result in severe damage to the motor assembly.
which is necessary to lubricate the number of moving parts in a combustion engine.
It is also used to lubricate the number of moving parts on an EV.
EVs are powered by electric motors, not the oil mandatory engines.” -Kia (HERE)
EV electric motors require oil for cooling and lubrication.
"Electric vehicles don’t have internal combustion engines,
Never said they did. You are hallucinating again.
which mean they lack many of the moving parts that require lubrication via motor oil.
EVs require oil. They also require grease and coolant, and the maintenance of friction surfaces (such as brakes).
Therefore, electric cars do not need traditional oil changes." -VH Autos
EVs do require oil changes. Define "traditional oil changes".
"EVs don’t use engine oil" - Hertz Auto
EVs use motor oil. They have no internal combustion engine. They get their power by burning hydrocarbons remotely, resulting in using almost twice the energy than a gasoline car of a similar size to go the same distance.

Yup. It's an electric motor. Very few moving parts.
So?
The primary maintenance is to take it in to have various system checks, tires, brakes, windshield wiper fluid. That sort of stuff. It's actually a pretty cool experience having an EV.
The oil is checked or changed when you take it in. So is the coolant. They usually clean the radiators as well, since they are located in hard to reach locations. This is also the time they grease needed components such as wheel bearings, struts, and brakes.

Wait until you grow up and mommy and daddy buy you your first car.
Already happened. Then I returned it back to them when I bought my own car for the first time. Then I sold that car (to my parents) when I bought my RAV4. Then I bought my Town Car as a "second vehicle".
Vroom vroom.
You wish that your EV actually sounded like that, don't you? Too bad, so sad!
Then you can change the oil anytime you wanna!
Meh. I typically change my engine oil as recommended by my vehicle's manufacturer / owner's manual. For my RAV4, that is every 5,000 miles (~ six months) per my owner's manual. Toyota has since recommended every 10,000 miles (~ one year) for the same engine (if using a synthetic oil, of course), but I choose to still follow the "original guidelines". My Town Car's manual recommends every 5,000 miles (~ six months) as well, of which I also follow. I also check my engine oil level every now and then and can visibly see it change color over time.

Joey,
Why are you hung up on oil changes?
I guess he's scared of touching the stuff. It's got Cooties.
If I were you, I would be asking myself why Hertz is dumping 20,000 Tesla's from their fleet at $21,000?
Too few people want to rent them.
Why are major automakers saying they are stopping or delaying production on fully electric vehicles?
Because they are losing money on them, and THAT's despite the government subsidies!
I understand you like your golf car but denying it will need maintenance is pure bullshit.
Well, it IS his glorified golf cart. If he doesn't want to maintain it, that's his loss.
Tesla’s Model Y has a 100,000-mile maintenance cost estimate between $8,250 for base trims and $15,000 for the performance trim. This does not include repairs. By comparison, a Toyota Highlander in the Car Talk fleet had a 100,000-mile maintenance and repair cost of $14,029. A Honda Accord had a 100,000-mile maintenance and repair cost of $7,684. If there is a cost advantage to Tesla with regard to maintenance and repair, we cannot find it.
These are, after all, rough estimates. A lot depends on preventive maintenance, how much you do yourself (I do all the maintenance and repair on my own vehicles, including my aircraft). A lot depends on how hard you are on the vehicle. Abuse leads to higher maintenance costs, and even repair costs.

Poor maintenance will always lead to higher repair costs.

Back