Reality check on electric cars

Because they take too long to refuel, are useless in the frigid weather conditions that are known to occur during Wisconsin winters, are too expensive to purchase, insure, maintain, and repair, and are "totaled" from pretty much any minor accident, for starters.
Did you try changing the oil and fuck it up?
I've never owned an EV. If I did (and you'd have to effectively force me to own one), I would leave that up to the dealership (they have the proper tools for doing so).

Already happened. Then I returned it back to them when I bought my own car for the first time. Then I sold that car (to my parents) when I bought my RAV4. Then I bought my Town Car as a "second vehicle".

You wish that your EV actually sounded like that, don't you? Too bad, so sad!

Meh. I typically change my engine oil as recommended by my vehicle's manufacturer / owner's manual. For my RAV4, that is every 5,000 miles (~ six months) per my owner's manual. Toyota has since recommended every 10,000 miles (~ one year) for the same engine (if using a synthetic oil, of course), but I choose to still follow the "original guidelines". My Town Car's manual recommends every 5,000 miles (~ six months) as well, of which I also follow. I also check my engine oil level every now and then and can visibly see it change color over time.
The color is the key. New engine oil looks like honey color, but becomes black and opaque over time. When it becomes dark, it's time to change it.

Transmission oil is also best checked by color. New oil is red, but if it becomes brown or has particulates in it, it's time to change it and inspect the transmission.

In most cars, the differential is separate from the transmission, and uses it's own gear oil. Some cars have TWO differentials (a front and rear one). In cars like a Subaru, the front differential is lubricated by transmission oil, but in the past they used 10W40 oil (that was separate from the engine oil!).

'Synthetic' oil (it's real oil, but with synthetic additives!) can last a long time. This is pretty stable stuff.

Dexron 6, used as a Tesla motor oil, is also a synthetic oil. This oil also lubricates not only the motor, but the transmission in an EV.

Changing engine oil on a gasoline car is ten minutes once or twice a year. It's also a good time to inspect the underside of the car, since cars are kind of built like turtles. All the good stuff is under the car. Look for CV boots cracking or split, general overall condition of struts, chassis rust, exhaust holes or gaps, anything dripping, etc.

EV owners should also inspect once in a while. They don't change the oil as often as a gasoline car, so there is nothing to remind them. Again, you should look for split or damaged CV boots, damage to the struts, anything dripping (especially coolant!), and make sure the radiators are clear. This should be done at least annually, preferably before winter.

If coolant is dripping, DO NOT CHARGE OR DRIVE THE CAR!! Get it on a flatbed and get it to the dealer for immediate repair!

Because they take too long to refuel, are useless in the frigid weather conditions that are known to occur during Wisconsin winters, are too expensive to purchase, insure, maintain, and repair, and are "totaled" from pretty much any minor accident, for starters.

I've never owned an EV. If I did (and you'd have to effectively force me to own one), I would leave that up to the dealership (they have the proper tools for doing so).
Out where you are, you can get not only very cold weather, but also very hot weather. Either is really harsh on an EV.
You folks also use salt for your roadways in winter, making corrosion a real problem for all cars, including EVs.

If corrosion on an EV opens a hole in a coolant line, that car is dangerous! Fire is soon to follow if it isn't fixed immediately and the coolant changed!

Joey, nobody cares about oil changes.
I drive a BMW or Audi, both offer free 100% coverage on ALL maintenance for three years. That includes any and all mechanical items. Tires being the only exception.
I trade my car around 4 years when the next maintenance is due so I really never see any maintenance costs at all.

I do have my wife's 2018 Lexus RX 350 oil changed because it cost $65 and she is happy that they check brake pad wear etc. That vehicle was purchased as a lease return in late 2020 with 19,000 miles, it now has just over 30,000 mi and I believe I have about $130 invested in oil changes and zero in anything else.

You be happy with your car and stop justifying your purchase to yourself. I will be happy pushing the start button and hearing the 3.0L with Dinan exhaust shake the garage.
Neither of us is saving the environment.
The Earth does not need to be 'saved'. It's plenty big enough to take care of itself.

You should change your air filters and mufflers regularly too. Get that transmission fluid up to level too.
Mufflers don't need changing.
Air filters should be changed regularly, whether it's a gasoline car or an EV.
The transmission in an EV uses the same oil as the motor in most designs, including Tesla.

At least I'm not out in the drive pouring a can of oil all over an electric motor.

You should really learn what an electric motor is.
Good. If you DO change your own motor oil (I don't recommend doing it yourself...let your dealer do that!), you will need an Allen wrench (typically 10mm), some Dexron6 or Tesla motor oil, tubing, and a syringe.

Back