Reality check on electric cars

Not what the car is using, dude. Rechargeable batteries need to be charged, including the lead-sulfur battery.

But even a lead acid battery comes with an initial charge on it by design. Being rechargeable only means you can reverse the chemical reaction and restore the battery to a useful charge.

unlimited forever power----------------wow who knew?

Not true. A zinc / carbon battery is a one-shot deal. As you use it the zinc anode erodes away into zinc sulfate. It won't come back out of solution so the battery only works as long as there is acid and zinc to continue the reaction. A variant of this battery is the common dry cell battery that uses a paste to contain the acid electrolyte.

Did you just learn how electric cars work? I have to charge mine every night, so I know it requires charging. Technology has already made batteries go much further on a charge. They have very long lives. They are getting better all the time.

It also means they take longer to charge.

Thanks for your opinion, Karen.
Inversion fallacy.
Energy loss occurs but it is also easy to calculate and account for.
You can't create energy by 'accounting' for losses.
This is some pretty basic electrical information.
Which apparently YOU don't understand, even in the slightest.
Less than 1% of the Sahara would need to have solar panels to produce enough electricity for Europe even with the energy loss during transportation.
Argument from randU fallacy. You are making shit up.
The problem isn't the energy loss.
Yes it is.
The problem is the infrastructure needed to transport that much energy.
No. The problem is the energy loss.
The costs to put in that infrastructure are pretty large and Karens will whine about the cost.
No. The problem is the energy loss.
Thanks, Karen. If people don't want electricity then I guess that is there problem.
Europe has all the resources it needs to produce their own electricity. They are sitting on a mountain of coal, for instance.
Oh.. wait.. everyone doesn't have a coal fire power plant in their backyard?
No need. Coal is readily available for the community power plant.
Instead the electricity is transported long distances over wires and energy is lost.
10 miles does not equal 1000 miles, dumbass.
Texas has freezing temperatures every winter.
Some parts do. Some parts don't.
The fact that they wanted to pretend they didn't is not the fault of renewable energy.
Wind turbines cannot operate in icing conditions. That is a fault of wind power generation.
Trying to blame the gas lines freezing on wind turbines was rather silly, don't you think?
No one did that. Hallucination. Gas lines can plug when they freeze, due to water vapor that inevitably gets inside the lines.
The funny thing about charging stations is there is no limit on how many can be installed as long as the electrical infrastructure is there.
Power is not unlimited, dude. Power transmission is not unlimited either. Space for charging stations is not unlimited either.
A few years ago there were none. A few years from now there could be a thousand.
There are currently some 43,000 public charging stations in operation. Source: US Dept of Energy.

NONE of them can charge an electric car from dead battery to full charge in less than 10-12 hours.
So you are saying she could drive the 160 miles over the 4 days and then charge on the fifth day during the day when she doesn't work. Sounds pretty simple and even a child could figure that one out.
Special pleading fallacy. Cars are used for than just commuting. Cross country travel in an electric car is impractical, due to the long time it takes to 'refuel' (recharge) the car. Refueling an ICE car only takes a few minutes.
Or are you trying to say she has a 40 mile commute one way with a daily commute of 80 miles? It seems I have to not read what you write but instead try to piece it together without using your words.

If her daily commute is 80 miles she still only is required to charge for about 4 hours total during the evenings per week since she can charge for 250 miles on Friday-Sunday. Drive 240 miles Monday- Wed. Charge for 80 miles Wednesday night.

I am curious where they live that 100% of their electricity comes from coal.
Special pleading fallacy. Coal is used to generate power in various places. It is the easiest source of energy to add as demand increases due to charging so many cars.
Unless they are connected to a small local utility, I highly doubt coal is the only source.
Coal is used to generate power. It is the easiest source of energy to add as demand increases due to charging so many cars.

It also means they take longer to charge.

My son's Bolt gets charged in a short time, faster than my Volt. With all the charging stations around, people just plug in while they eat or shop. The new chargers are much faster. You can crank it out in 30 minutes with a good charger.

Let's see if you do know English.

Is "fossil" a noun or an adjective in this sentence?

Coal is a fossil fuel.

Now in your quote. Is the first use of fossil an adjective or a noun? Is the use of the word fossils an adjective or a noun?
So now we clearly see that you are either an idiot or expect others to be idiots for not recognizing that you are using the equivocation fallacy when you change word use and meaning.

Semantics fallacy. Fallacy fallacy. Fossils are not used as a fuel.

ROFLMAO. That has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen you post.

In English, to equivocate is not to equate but then you don't use English the way the rest of us do.
You don't know English. You don't get to speak for anyone else either. Omniscience fallacy.
So what exactly is a fallacy fallacy since you have now used that term?
Go learn some logic. You are trolling.
It seems you now want to use my definition that you have claimed is not a valid definition.
Redefinition fallacy.

But even a lead acid battery comes with an initial charge on it by design.
Actually, it doesn't. It must be charged before use. Automotive and deep cycle lead acid batteries are charged at the factory before being sold. Aviation batteries are shipped without electrolyte in them. The mechanic installing the new battery does the initial charging. Many aircraft mechanics have a 'battery bench' dedicated to this purpose, separated by type of electrolyte (you don't want NiCad battery maintenance getting anywhere near lead acid battery maintenance, for example).
Being rechargeable only means you can reverse the chemical reaction and restore the battery to a useful charge.

It still means you have to get that power from somewhere.

In cars, ships, and aircraft that use such batteries, that comes from the fuel they burn.
For forklifts, golf carts, and electric cars, that comes from power plants contributing power to the grid.

Last edited:
Not true. A zinc / carbon battery is a one-shot deal. As you use it the zinc anode erodes away into zinc sulfate. It won't come back out of solution so the battery only works as long as there is acid and zinc to continue the reaction. A variant of this battery is the common dry cell battery that uses a paste to contain the acid electrolyte.

Quite right. It's also not used in cars. Handy for flashlights and toys, perhaps, but not a useful battery for a car.

Pressurized oil plain bearings will never wear out under consistent load and speed. Cylinders, however...

They both wear at consistent load and speed. They don't wear at any significant higher rate at higher shaft speeds...unless there is something wrong with your lubrication system.

Did you know that many car engines today can sustain 4000 to 5000 rpm indefinitely?

Use your transmission to limit speed on descents. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Actually, it doesn't. It must be charged before use. Automotive and deep cycle lead acid batteries are charged at the factory before being sold. Aviation batteries are shipped without electrolyte in them. The mechanic installing the new battery does the initial charging. Many aircraft mechanics have a 'battery bench' dedicated to this purpose, separated by type of electrolyte (you don't want NiCad battery maintenance getting anywhere near lead acid battery maintenance, for example).

It still means you have to get that power from somewhere.

In cars, ships, and aircraft that use such batteries, that comes from the fuel they burn.
For forklifts, golf carts, and electric cars, that comes from power plants contributing power to the grid.

Bull...

Batteries come charged by design. That goes for dry cells as well as car batteries. The plates in a car battery are manufactured such that the lead plate is in it's full charged state when manufactured while the lead sulfate plate is in the unloaded state. Thus, the battery has a full charge as manufactured. When you buy one at the auto parts store and stick it in your vehicle it's go to go as is, no charging needed.

When you complete a circuit in that sort of battery, lead from the lead plate (anode) dissolves into the electrolyte becoming lead sulfate and hydrogen is released. The lead sulfate then plates out on the cathode plate. Charging reverses this action causing the lead sulfate to dissociate in the electrolyte making more sulfuric acid and plating the lead back onto the anode plate.

When it comes to batteries, I'm an expert. That's one of the things the Navy trained me on a lot.

My son's Bolt gets charged in a short time, faster than my Volt. With all the charging stations around, people just plug in while they eat or shop. The new chargers are much faster. You can crank it out in 30 minutes with a good charger.

Special pleading fallacy. You are not charging a fully discharged battery to full charge.

Bull...

Batteries come charged by design.
No. They come POLARIZED by design. Big difference.
That goes for dry cells as well as car batteries.
Car batteries must be charged before use.
The plates in a car battery are manufactured such that the lead plate is in it's full charged state when manufactured while the lead sulfate plate is in the unloaded state.
No. That only sets the polarization. The battery is not charged.
Thus, the battery has a full charge as manufactured.
No. The battery must be charged first.
When you buy one at the auto parts store and stick it in your vehicle it's go to go as is, no charging needed.
Because the factory charged it for you before shipping it to your auto parts store.
When it comes to batteries, I'm an expert.
Apparently not.
That's one of the things the Navy trained me on a lot.
They did a lousy job then.

This is about electrochemistry, not a Navy training book or class.

Quite right. It's also not used in cars. Handy for flashlights and toys, perhaps, but not a useful battery for a car.

Well, except in a Tesla where a variant of a dry cell is what powers the car...

Tesla-battery-1.jpg

Something like just over 7,000 of those power a Tesla. How stupid is that?

They both wear at consistent load and speed. They don't wear at any significant higher rate at higher shaft speeds...unless there is something wrong with your lubrication system.

Did you know that many car engines today can sustain 4000 to 5000 rpm indefinitely?

Use your transmission to limit speed on descents. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Wrong. Plain bearings ride on a pressurized film of oil. As long as that oil is present the two surfaces never make contact so can never wear down. The only time wear occurs is during start-up, and possibly under high loads, as with aggressive downshifting. The bearing material itself is a soft metal that would wear rapidly with inadequate lubrication.

The interaction between a cylinder and piston is far different. Here, a series of spring-loaded rings press against the cylinder walls and scrape oil off of it. This assembly has a limited life, and is extended by using hardened rings and a steel cylinder with a good cross-hatched texture so some oil sticks to it.

Back