Reality check on electric cars

It is worth noting that the USPS bailed on the "We are going to have electric mail trucks and help save the planet" narative.

It turnes out that they dont work.

SHOCKING

Your need to be an opioid addicted moron is revolting

I own a Tesla and I've done much research on this. There is so much disinformation here, I'll start with:

the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

First of all, nobody needs to charge their EV every day unless they drive 300 miles a day. I charge mine about every 10-14 days.

It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

Charging at home takes me about 6-8 hours but on the road at a SuperCharger, takes from 20-40 minutes. In other words, just enough time to stretch, take a leak and get a snack.

These far right morons aren't going to stop the EV revolution. It's here to stay. Nothing can stop it, especially right wing propaganda.

But I hope they keep trying. It's fun to watch them squeal.

I own a Tesla and I've done much research on this. There is so much disinformation here, I'll start with:

the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

First of all, nobody needs to charge their EV every day unless they drive 300 miles a day. I charge mine about every 10-14 days.

It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

Charging at home takes me about 6-8 hours but on the road at a SuperCharger, takes from 20-40 minutes. In other words, just enough time to stretch, take a leak and get a snack.

These far right morons aren't going to stop the EV revolution. It's here to stay. Nothing can stop it, especially right wing propaganda.

But I hope they keep trying. It's fun to watch them squeal.

So you don't drive your car much. Meh.

EV's are not a 'revolution'. The Li-ion battery has certainly changed things, including better range for EV's, but EVs themselves are not new.
Tesla itself had a bit of a rough start as a car maker, but they've learned and improved over time and now put out some fairly nice cars.

You should be aware that the SuperCharger stations are very hard on the battery pack. It works, but it shortens the overall life of the pack.

You are correct that there is a lot of bad assumptions being made about EV's (and about ICE cars!), and that's by both sides of the issue.
Don't get too smug about your EV though. They have their place, but they are not for everybody.

There are many negatives to any mass movement to switch to electric cars.

However, here's a major flaw in the OP screed, "... being urged to buy these things and replace reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive new windmills and solar cells,"

All one has to do is a simple comparison of the initial construction costs and long term maintenance of wind generators and solar cells to the current yo-yo gas prices, power plant failures/raising rates and that nagging problem of developing a better garbage bag/dump for nuke power plant waste which ain't cheap.

Nuff said

There are many negatives to any mass movement to switch to electric cars.

However, here's a major flaw in the OP screed, "... being urged to buy these things and replace reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive new windmills and solar cells,"

All one has to do is a simple comparison of the initial construction costs and long term maintenance of wind generators and solar cells to the current yo-yo gas prices, power plant failures/raising rates and that nagging problem of developing a better garbage bag/dump for nuke power plant waste which ain't cheap.

Nuff said

Wind generators are expensive, both to build, ship, and construct. They can only produce power (and very little of THAT) when the wind is blowing at the right range of speeds. They don't work at all under icing conditions.
Solar power is even more expensive, both to build, ship, and construct. They can only produce power during the day (and very little of THAT). They are useless at night. They are subject to damage from hail, rain, snow, wind, and even sunlight.
Nuclear power plants do have nuclear waste, but it's a small amount. This waste can be put into a reactor of a different design and be used to produce power also. The waste from THAT plant is no longer radioactive, and can be disposed of in a normal landfill. A single nuclear power plant produces more power than ALL of the wind generators and solar panels in a State.

Watt for watt, nuclear power is MUCH cheaper than either wind or solar. It is also available regardless of icing, rain, wind, or sunny or nightime conditions.

Last edited:
aaaa-jpg.945827

In 1900, America lacked the infrastructure for gasoline vehicles. It's no secret that America right now has a third-world grid, but we got to where we needed to be once, and if the Repukes get out of our way, we might get there again.

The infrastructure the reds have stopped would have provided lots of charging stations. Chargers get faster and faster.

At my wife's last job, there are at least two dozen electric car chargers in the parking lot. Until Covid-19 hit and they were all sent home to work, I would sometimes see five or six cars at a time plugged in on those mornings I dropped off my wife to work.

The infrastructure the reds have stopped would have provided lots of charging stations. Chargers get faster and faster.

You want a charging station? Buy your own fucking charging station, I don't want to buy it for you.

Back