Reality check on electric cars

tesla-solar-trailer-jpg.1031091

JULY 1, 2022
Fossil fuel sources accounted for 79% of U.S. consumption of primary energy in 2021

"Fossil fuels—petroleum, natural gas, and coal—accounted for 79% of the 97 quadrillion British thermal units (quads) of primary energy consumption in the United States during 2021. About 21% of U.S. primary energy consumption in 2021 came from fuel sources other than fossil fuels, such as renewables and nuclear, according to data in our Monthly Energy Review."

JULY 1, 2022
Fossil fuel sources accounted for 79% of U.S. consumption of primary energy in 2021

"Fossil fuels—petroleum, natural gas, and coal—accounted for 79% of the 97 quadrillion British thermal units (quads) of primary energy consumption in the United States during 2021. About 21% of U.S. primary energy consumption in 2021 came from fuel sources other than fossil fuels, such as renewables and nuclear, according to data in our Monthly Energy Review."

Fossils don't burn. We don't use them for fuel.

Both oil and natural gas are renewable fuels.
Nuclear is not renewable, but so little fuel is used it still works.
It is unknown whether coal is renewable, but there is plenty of it.
The viable form of solar power is hydroelectric power. Unfortunately, the SDTC is draining Lake Mead so fast that will soon fail, at least for the SDTC, Las Vegas, and Phoenix areas.

I wonder if you know when peak electric usage is....

Nah.... I'm sure you don't.

Currently about 100% of homes have major appliances and yet owners are being asked to not use those appliances during peak hours. It's a disaster waiting to happen when Kim Kardashian no longer has clean underwear because she can't do her laundry at 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday.

Nuclear is not renewable, but so little fuel is used it still works.

Nuclear is renewable both in the sense you can make more fuel (eg., breeder reactors), and can use many of the byproducts to produce energy. Of course, the amount of energy gotten out is so great compared to the fuel spent, that right now we have several millennia worth of nuclear fuel, and an infinite amount if you include hydrogen fusion in that mix.

Spent fuel, just for the idiots here and their insane complaints about that is really a non-issue. All the current spent fuel in the US on nuclear power would fit inside a super Walmart store with lots of room to spare. It is all low-level alpha and beta emitters that pose a low risk in terms of radiation output. It can be safely stored in current cask designs basically forever. We have the storage facilities already built. It's only fear mongering and stupidity coming mostly from the radical environmental Left that prevents use.

I wonder if you know when peak electric usage is....

Nah.... I'm sure you don't.

Currently about 100% of homes have major appliances and yet owners are being asked to not use those appliances during peak hours. It's a disaster waiting to happen when Kim Kardashian no longer has clean underwear because she can't do her laundry at 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday.

So you are saying when everyone has an EV everything will be just fine? No shortages? Do you have any idea as to the power needed to charge one EV?

So you are saying when everyone has an EV everything will be just fine? No shortages? Do you have any idea as to the power needed to charge one EV?

Well, I will point out that it depends on how long it takes to charge the vehicle. Longer charging times use less power per unit time than fast charging does.

Florida family drives into electric car problem: a replacement battery costs more than vehicle itself

"A family in Florida drove into a major problem after buying a used electric vehicle: the replacement battery for their dead car wound up costing more than the used car was purchased for.

Avery Siwinski is a 17-year-old who's parents spent $11,000 on a used Ford Focus Electric car, which is a 2014 model and had about 60,000 miles when it was bought, according to KVUE."

Buyer beware! Electric battery cars have a service life of roughly 5 to 7 years then they are worthless both for resale and further use due to the cost of battery replacement. Given in my case that I have two pickups right now that are 22 and 12 years old respectively on which I've spent maybe a combined $10,000 in maintenance (mostly oil changes at around $40 a crack) I'd say a battery car is a horrible choice for anyone that buys to own and keeps their vehicle until the wheels fall off.

Buyer beware! Electric battery cars have a service life of roughly 5 to 7 years then they are worthless both for resale and further use due to the cost of battery replacement. Given in my case that I have two pickups right now that are 22 and 12 years old respectively on which I've spent maybe a combined $10,000 in maintenance (mostly oil changes at around $40 a crack) I'd say a battery car is a horrible choice for anyone that buys to own and keeps their vehicle until the wheels fall off.

All true.

An EV might be a great choice as a second or third vehicle for,
1. Virtue signalers
2. People who lease
3. Company cars that get traded every 2-3 years
4. Those whose yearly mileage is comprised of short trips

Last Friday my son bought a Mercades EQS. He did it based on the fact he has a gasoline powered SUV and a deisel powered SUV so living in a relatively hot climate, it will be an interesting comparison between the three.

Do you have any idea of the gas needed to fill up one car?

Oh.. wait.. almost no one fills up their car with gas every day.

Oh...wait.. almost no one with an EV will require a complete charge every day.

For the average Texan, the power needed to charge their EV would be less per day than they use for AC. By charging their EV when their AC is not running, say at 2-6am, they don't put any stress on the grid.

kwh needed to run AC for about 8 hours a day - 30-40kwh
kwh needed to charge an EV that has been driven for 50 miles - 17kwh.

For the average Texan, the power needed to charge their EV would be less per day than they use for AC. By charging their EV when their AC is not running, say at 2-6am, they don't put any stress on the grid.

Many trucks, you know the vehicles that bring everything we need to a store fill every day, Farmers fill multiple vehicles every day. Your natural gas, the stuff that heats our homes and feeds our stoves is a byproduct of the oil industry. Literally, everything you touch every day came from oil products.
Good shit will come from the alt lefties' plan to put the oil industry out of business,

Oil is the substance that makes the world go aropund and the idiots that fail to understand that

None of that changes that you have maybe 8 years at most on an EV before the battery goes bad and the car is junk. That alone makes them unsustainable.

An 8 year old car as a general rule isn't worth much either.

Gas powered cars are resalable for decades. A battery car is junk once the battery dies in it. Unless you have $10,000 + to slap down on a new battery you can't revive it. For $10,000 invested in something from the 60's or 70's you can get a decently running and drivable ICE vehicle.

Back